Re: Wow

"Don"

I still want to learn how to fly ultralights.
Don't do this to us, man... Last time you did something like this, there were lights on a pole and the guy in the back lot got burned to death!

Funny... to get barren wasteland "the city" comes in and does the job. For us, the only doing of this type of work comes from someone called Mom Nature...
First look at this... http://tinyurl.com/c8n5x then look at this... http://tinyurl.com/acny2
It's a picture from the exact same spot... That Mom sure knows how to put on a show...
from http://tinyurl.com/9vesu compared to some of the pix in http://tinyurl.com/adyae

Just a little sprinkle...

both... 8 inches of rain in 8hrs and the complete melt off the mountains...

"Don"

What difference would a parachute make, though, since, as you say, ultralights don't fly high enough to jump off of and survive? I wonder how car accidents, relative to number driven, compares with ultralight accidents, relative to number flown. Which do you think would be safer relatively speaking?

You mentioned awhile ago about a disability... Would this be what it resulted from?

I saw something a few years back about experimental parachutes for planes, themselves! I think it was on a show called 'Beyond 2000'. I should look into it and maybe into learning about how to parachute before flying, especially if you think it might make sense. Maybe try base-jumping. ;) Also, apparently not all ultralights are created equal, and I once saw some disturbing footage of one folding up suddenly in mid-air, and then just spiralling to the ground along with the helpless occupant! Perhaps they've tightened up some issues where ultralight- testing manufacture, assembly, maintenance, flying and monitoring are concerned.
"Don"

Then your apparent connection between 'people that died' and 'never took parachuting class' is unclear.

Makes sense... When I'm about to begin, rest assured I'll be doing my homework.

Well, I did say 'safer', and to me, death may be preferrable to some kinds of injuries, and vice-versa.

Sorry to hear. How bad is the disability?

That's good to know! Perhaps some ultralights have them then? I should do a google.

That's interesting.

I've only seen pics online and in 'zines. Wonder if that includes those UL's that look more like regular airplanes than anything. My idea is to get one of those with pontoons to take off and land on water and then travel to secluded lakes to camp, fish and boat, and maybe get the odd leech or 3 stuck to my body.

plane
When did everyone else get off the road in Florida? It's not your driving you have to worry about, it's the other nimrods on the road. Rubberneckers and talgaters should all be taken out and shot.

Ahhh... yet another reason to get out of flatland and head for the hills... mmmmmm... tiptronic...
wrote

He's looking for his snake!
Tiptronic is: The tiptronic, which is available with five or six speeds, has all the advantages and technical features (Dynamic Shift Program (DSP), key lock, shift lock) of the automatic transmission. All gear changes take place without any interruption in engine power. This is particularly advantageous when towing a trailer. tiptronic allows the driver to override the automatic mode by moving the lever into a second (tiptronic) shift gate and permits, for example, downshifting on winding mountain roads to increase the braking effect of the engine or for a particularly sporty driving style. The six-speed tiptronic has wider transmission spacing, thus reducing fuel consumption and the noise level and increasing ride comfort. On all models it has an additional Sport program which delays upshifts for a sportier driving style. Shift quality has been further improved thanks to electronics integrated directly into the transmission.
In other words, perfectly synchronized manual shifting without a clutch. It was developed for F1 racing machines in the early 90's (I think?). Tip it forwards andit shifts up a gear. Tip it back and it gears down. http://tinyurl.com/at9ze
It's part of my package on my Jetta GLX VR6. Grrrrrrrreat on mountain roads...

Legs, back or both? I have a friend who had something similar but not as extreme as yours. Both his knees are F'ed up pretty bad.
I've been working with a guy recently who used to be a pilot in the Israeli Air Force who survived 3 combat ejections. He still has massive back problems and said he lost about an inch in height. He wasn't that tall to begin with...
Don wrote:

shoes wear

Ouch (massive understatement!) I'm assuming that the Army was willing to 'let' you leave after that?
My friend shattered a knee cap in his fall. He got tangled up with another sky-diver, but they were both able to cut loose and re-deploy. The other guy didn't get a scratch.
How's does that old saying go: "Why Jump Out of a Perfectly Good Airplane?"

I was going to mention that earlier thanks for reminding me. I saw a show (multi-part) on The Discovery Channel or similar channel about HALO training. Very cool. Quite a few guys washed-out in the wind-tunnel part, they just couldn't keep control of their bodies while free-falling. During the filming of this show one of the instructors was killed. I think the final test was a HALO jump at night with the landing within a small area lit only by some glowsticks. I know one of the guys injured his leg because he couldn't judge the ground, although they let him get his certificate. This wasn't the first time I caught part of this show, you should keep your eyes out for it when they show it again.
Richard MacIntyre wrote:

This is why I'd rather learn to fly one of those Gyro copter thingamawhatsitz. You know, the ones that have helicopter blades instead of wings, and use a rear facing prop for push. The upper blades bring the thing aloft (they use your forward movement to spin). So if the engine does stall, you just float back down to the ground (just don't be flyin around no briar patch).
Oh yeah, hello again, I found another free server to bother you with, after my last one went to pay service.
-- Night_Seer