Re: Wine

Other than a few excursions into oblivion in the frozen wastelands of

> Bavaria with a canteen cup full of Mad dog 20 20 a third of a century ago > I don't know jak about wine. > My wife the health freek, who has never drank anything, read something > about drinking a glass of wine each day has some health benefits so she > wanted get some. > Did I mention she's also a penny pincher? > She got a bottle and we sat on the porch this evening and we each had a > chilled glass. > Well, I had 2. > We were fooling around and started doing that stuff we seen on TV where > you swirl it around in the glass (we were using standard kitchen glasses > cause we don't have any real wine glasses) and sniff the bowkay. Then we > dumped it in our caves and rolled it all over the place before down the > hatch. > > When I first smelled the stuff I almost hurled, smelled like > poison....cept worse. > Then amazingly, after swishing it around in my cave the smell disappeared. > WTF? > I stuck my snoot right down in the stuff and it smelled like fruits. > OMG. > One swallow and I suddenly liked the stuff and 30+ years of loathing > vanished. > We put the stuff back in the frig and went about our business. > Tomorrow we'll break it out again. > > There's lots of wine tasting places around here and we talked about going > to some. > > Anyway, this is what we imbibed upon. > Cheap, tasted pretty good, and if 2 half-glasses is any indication, for > less than $10 a stupor could occur. > >

Exotic Fruits White Zinfandel... talk about hurling...

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

The trick to a decent red wine is not buying one full of sulfites. Sulfites are used as a preservative and that's what gives you a headache in the morning. There are plenty of decent reds available for between 10 and 12 bux/bottle. It's kind of a "go with your gut" kinda thing though. When you do find one that doesn't taste or smell too acidic (vinegary) and doesn't leave you feeling nausious the next morning, go out and buy a 1/2 or full case (12 bottles).

Another trick is to have a relationship with your seller. Just ask "what's decent these days for 10-12$ a bottle?" . Most sellers will gladly tell you what's selling and what's not due to buyer response.

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

cheap doesn't necessarily mean crap when it comes to wine.

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

We actually had this one a few weeks ago.

Pierre Levesque

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

*RED* wine has the health benefits. IIRC: There are phytochemicals in the skins of red grapes that are extracted when the grapes are pressed. I'm really tired and can't remember what they are, I'd have to look it up.

I like "classico reserva" chianti wines - look for a seal (paper ribbon) around the neck that depicts a black rooster (cockerel). I don't recall what the organization is called, but it's the Italian version of the French Appellation Controlee'. THese groups have strict rules regarding the origin of the grapes and how/where the wine is fermented, and so on.

Wines are usually named by the region (well, European ones at least) but can also be named by the grape. Pinot noir is a red grape; Burgundy is a region of France known for its pinot-noir-based wines. I think Beaujolais is a region, as well IIRC as Moulin au Vent and Chateauneuf du Pape.

Chardonnay is IIRC a grape, same for Zinfandel. Merlot is a blend of differet stuff; I don't touch Merlot, don't like it one bit, so I can't tell you anything about it.

I don't know a lot about wines, but I know the least about California ones. since I prefer certain of the European wines. US wines are a bit too heavy on the sulphur (preservative) for me. I'm not a "wine snob", I just like certain things.

Youmight be interested in an Australian WHite Shiraz. It's actualyl pink, but it's pressed from a red grape, but IIRC, without the skins, so it has a lighter, fruitier taste than does red shiraz.

Anyway, I don;t know how much of this will be useful, but I'm always willing to share what little I know, if there is interest...

For now, tho', I have *got* to shut off this computer and hit the hay =:-o

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news:f7ksfa0e95 @news5.newsguy.com:

I think so, but to be honest, I'm not certain enough to say "yes", so I'd have to look it up.

I don't usually stay up anywhere near that late - headache, yadda yadda, so I figured I do some computer work and some computer yakking ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger