Re: Whats up with this Warcraft stuff?

I think you've got enough evidence to show that you may be wrong.

I think we've got enough evidence to conclude that it's all relative.
[ ... ]

Not here. OTOH I have many interests but I've just never been able to get very intrested in games. Dunno why. It's odd because I got to do up a bunch of building models for a game (that never got off the ground unfortunately) and really enjoyed doing that a lot; it's something I'd like to do again at some point if the chance came up (not that I need an excuse to model...). Well, except that I like to do high-polygon modeling, and most games use low-poly shapes and then rely on bump maps, transparency maps, and textures to get the bulk of the appearance. I also enjoyed coming up with a few sub-story ideas. But playing just isn't my thing, for whatever reason. - KMK
--

- Kris M. Krieger

I can understand how most people would like them, but the reason I find most computer games incredibly boring is probably just the A.D.D. - I typically have to force myself to continue paying attention. IOW, since I generally have the attention span of a gnat, a thing has to really engage both my brain and eyes (and hands if possible), esp. the problem-solving part of the brain, otherwise my attention disappears and I get bored.
People with more normal brains wouldn't have that problem.
OTOH, when I do hit upon something that engages me, I get obsessive with it. When I'm working on a 3D project I like, forget it - I don't hear the phone or the doorbell or much of anything, I forget to eat or go to the bathroom, and it's usually ony nightfall (meaning, I can';t see the keyboard or glidepadd any longer) that breaks into my focus. Yup, things are pretty strange here in my little universe...
I also have no patience for learning systems I can't apply to anything else, because I don't have enough "RAM" to learn all the things I want/need to (ex., moving to Houston, I ought to learn Spanish), plus learn stuff like a bunch of spells and rules somebody just made up. Even if the plot was interesting, I don't have the patience for that. If it was a matter of learning historical facts or the principles of, say, how to build a laser in one's basement, that'd be fine. ((Actually, now that I think of it, I don't read much fiction, either, aside from a bit of Science Fiction and pref. Hard SF at that...))
But, to each their own, sez I :) .
I don't sit around saying "games are stupid", it's simply that they aren't my "thing". I'd rather *build* stuff for games, than play the games ;)
- KMK
--
- Kris M. Krieger

Very belated reply (moving is such an annoyance)

Well, with me, it's always been a real problem. Or rather, it's been a real problem for others.
Now, I have my own theory about the entire "A.D.D." thing. It seems to me that it's a "more primitive" trait, in ancient times (when humans were primarily hunter-gatherers), if a person wasn't able to scan the entire environment, one got killed off before reaching an age where one could reproduce. So it would have been a good thing to continually scan the environment. Also, that would allow one to see mroe opportunities for food and shelter, as opposed to having "tunnel vision" so to speak.
So IMO, "A.D.D." is not automatically a mental "problem" or "illness" so much as it's a *social* condition that was *created* when people started accepting as "normal" things like having kids sit on their butts in a classromm for hours on end, and before that, stand in front of machinery doing on simplistic task over and over and over and over again. (Of course, I also take exception to the whole concept of "normalcy". It's nothing but a statistical term that people manipulate however the whim strikes them so as to serve their own ends.)
Now, if you take a kid with an IQ of 160+, and sit that kid down for hours and hours in overcrowded classrooms with kids who are "normal" (I! between 90 and 110), *OF COURSE* that kid is going to become bored enough to chew concrete. But god forbid we should make all the other kids "feel bad about themselves" and nurture the advanced and/or creative intellect. Nope, most of society considers it preferable to ram drugs down the kid's gullet ((just look t the statistics, esp. for boys, if you don't believe that)) so that the behavior becomes more "normal", meaning, passive. Note I said *behavior*. If you take someone who is very mentally active and creative and inquisitive, and stuff said person full of tranquilizers, you haven't made him "normal", you've simply depressed the entire nervous system. Remove the drugs, and the person's *behavior* again becomes "abnormal", i.e., active, creative, and inquisitive.
I do realize (and have experienced :( ) that there is a point where activity crosses over into chaos that actually immobilises a person of whatever age, and that *is* ADD, but these days, A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. are mostly just BS excuses, terms used to blame a bright person for being bored, so as to divert people from the real issue - which is that the society/culture *imposes* boredom whenever and wherever it can, because it exists for, and survives because of, the "norm", meaning, it dumbs people down. Much lip service is paid to "individuality", but in the end, what's valued is conformity, malleability, passivity. Most so-called "rebellion" is merely an attempt to conform to/fit in with a group whcih is different from the group currently occupying the power hierarchy.
I also am convinced there's a bit of social Darwinism at play, most especially since the Industrial Revolution, because, if society values people who are passive and slow thinkers who don't mind monotonous tasks, it is the quick thinkers who are considered "unsuitable" as partners (specifically, as potential parents). Intelligence becomes "abnormal".
I know that it's counterproductive when my thoughts fire so quickly and intensely that I'm immobilized - that's ADD, it's almost painful, and that sort of thing *does* need to be dealt with. I also can't filter out distractions, so I need more quiet than do "normal" people. But it is neither maladaptive for me personally, nor always counterproductive, to merely carry on 3 to 5 trains of thought at the same time. What that *is*, is uncomfortable *for other people*, because they can't keep up. I';m sure that you prob. run into the same thing. But that doesn't mean you have a "mental illness", unless intelligence is considered a mental illness (and I'd not be surprised if it is).
So, although I'm sure you might get some people who'd say you have ADD, they'd be flat-out wrong and don't know what they're talking about. You just have a full life and are interested in actually <gasp!!> **living** it.

Yeah - that's not ADD. Maybe a "normal" person could do it and not notice, but IMO a passive tolerance of boredom is, in the long run, an evolutionary dead end, because it can't adapt to changing or challenging conditions.

There are some educational programs that I do watch, esp. when I'm trying to learn something. Mostly, though, I'd rather be *doing* something. Tyically, I'll have it on when I'm doing soem sort of craft work that I have to stay in one place to do, but even there, it's usually something educational. Well, OK, I *did* watch "Master and Commander" on HBO, so it's not as though I never watch movies, tho' my taste/interest is fairly narrow.

Sounds perfectaly fine to me <g>!

And instead you should be doing....what?
(what are Nomad Elixers...? I'm thinking, dunno why, that you're referring to laquering/coating a motorcycle, is that it?)
Patchouli plant, that's interesting. Is the plant itself scented, or does that only come out when the oil is distilled? Or is it like Tuscan Blue (and poss other) Rosemary, where the leaves have to be touched/disturbed, or warmed, to give off the scent? Sage is like that. One of the things I loved (and miss) about the semi-desert is that it smelled so good when the sun had warmed up the sage and other plants, since the smells didn't get weighed down by a lot of humidity.

More like American Idle :p Don't get me started on the dreck that passes for "comedy"...

That's definitely true.
--
- Kris M. Krieger