Re: What could this be?

Lol. On the other hand, there is a building survey company locally (North Queensland Australia) who will arrange a 'sweep" of your property for dope stashes, evidence of amphetamine brewing etc. The sniffer dog does a responsible job - but costs a lot.
Good tradesmen hard to catch in this corner of the planet as well. Plumbers now the highest paid - can get $A1,500 per day. Most roofs are trussed because there are so few carpenters who are able or willing to construct roof frames. And even trusses cost a bomb if you want something out of the ordinary, eg you don't want a steep pitch, and don't see the need for unusable roof void which is 50% of the volume of the space underneath it.
Carpentry apprentices can now get through by 'setting' a roof on a doll's house, on the basis that the geometry and calculations are the same.

Oh please, it would be jst my luck to have somethig like that in a place, and then have the stasher mount a home invasion to get them back =:-o
Seriously, tho', it's not that some older homes don't look great when restored, just that I'm not one for doing restoration.
Personally, I'd prefer something other than a "stick frame" - maybe if I ever buy alottery ticket, and then win... ;)

there you go, if they did that and you survive, you can write a book, do a TV talk radio show tour and make millions.

I am not either, but I am forging ahead and one second I am glad I learned something new, next second I am pulling my hair out for finding out another surprise behind the walls. Come to think of it, it's like raising a first child.
MC