Re: What a screw-up.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:15:16 -0700 (PDT), "Ken S. Tucker"

The big "owe!" Government wasn't really the problem although Drapeau was wearing huge rose coloured glasses throughout the acquisition!
The two biggest faults were the French architect (who got $40 million in fees) for designing a structure where no two arch supports were alike which caused delays and cost overruns AND the greedy Union bastards who held the project ransom. It was too bad that the Quebec government didn't allow non-Quebec bidders in on the deal, they could have built it for half the price and had it completed in time. I heard rumours of biker gangs and Teamsters as well. If they took the cost overruns out and paid that into athlete development they could have picked up a huge stash of medals!

There's no way dismantling anything would cost half a billion dollars. They use explosives - BOOM, down it comes, then they use specialized wrecking equipment to sort and load the stuff. The scrap metal price alone would be nothing to sneeze at and would go towards decreasing the net decommissioning cost.

That's not a real reference, Ken. There's some non-attributed reference to some preliminary report. It means nothing. The stadium cost three quarters of a billion dollars to build - how could it cost almost as much to take it down? Demolition is far quicker, usually far less technical and always far cheaper than the construction unless it's a toxic waste cleanup site. The subway complicates things, but they're probably still off by a factor of at least five or ten.
You can safely ignore that piece of information on the estimated cost of demolition.

I don't whine, whinge maybe, but never whine. And it's not about off- topic stuff. It's about proselytizing zealots. Can't quite recall if it was you or Kris that had issues with those sort of people as well.
I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me, but I don't see where the knowledge is coming into play. I also don't see that it is an actual issue at this point. How do you hypothetically take down a building with some unusual conditions? You get some hypothetical bids and hypothetical input from hypothetical people that do it for a living and you hypothetically pit them against one another in a competitive bidding arrangement. Hypothetically and I won't be held to it unless you ask me.

Out of curiosity, how often have you done that? Does that $100 and 1 hour include dismantling of decks and ramps, relocating wells and other services, regrading and replanting? It's the little things that add up.
Anyhoo, I just downloaded some ebooks on to my iPhone and I'm going to do a little reading in bed before I retire for the evening. G'night!

I was there in 1981, and saw a week long set of events there,.................the sight lines are terrible, the seating is set in way too shallow of a sloped bowl, you basically see the backs of heads,.............

What do you think of the 15 billion $ Boston big dig project?

A billion is not what it used to be.
15 billion dollars is a week and a half of the Iraq war.

I like the building's concept-- the "inclinement" of the tower and the retractable roof-- which seems to have been poorly executed. I took my motorcycle courses at the stadium and attended a number of events there over the years, including the rare baseball game.