Re: Transit

Yes, I noticed the following when I read the earlier today:
"It has, for instance, reached agreements with the local public school district, colleges and private businesses to help subsidize its operations."
So, more people agreed to subsidize the operation, not that it 'turned a profit.'

Naw, it's just like lots of employee benefits where the employee pays part and the employer pays part: health insurance, 401(k), etc.
It makes sense for the colleges to pay to keep beneficial bus routes rather than run their own busses. Rochester is a pretty big college town (for part of it, at least).
Using your definition, your college should be shut down, too, because it doesn't make a profit and relies on public subsidies.
If it can get a private (or at least semi-public) organization to foot part of they bill, good for them because in the poor parts of Rochester, they rely on public transport for almost all of their transportation needs.
--

I see we are back to the rant "If jails don\'t make money, then transit
must lose money too."

Are you implying that your college is a jail? You're just keeping kids off the street for 4 years?
Anyway, I think you completely missed the point of the article. The point is that Rochester faces the same struggles as other transit systems, and it the face of declining public subsidies it marketed itself to the (semi-)private section and they found it a valuable enough service to pay for it. That's a good thing. They are selling their product on the open market and people are willing to pay for it. Good for them.
For the colleges it's probably a simple economic equation. Either pay for more parking lots plus create their own transportation system for may the bus system. It must have been cheaper to pay for the service than to replicate it themselves.
--

Students pay to park.

I've always thought that it's a supreme irony of college life that if you've _already_ paid to be there, you get to pay more to park there. However, if you _haven't_ paid to be there, you get to park free. Neat, huh? :-)
Amy Blankenship wrote:

How about coming over to alt.architecture once and awhile? Seems I only get to see you when Pat crossposts. ;)

Architechs love Smart Growth because they see it as a way to increase their fees.
george conklin wrote:

Is this like a 3-second sound-bite?

More like a 3-second a$$ bite :p
Kris Krieger wrote:

I might be ok with that if Amy were somehow involved.

<LOL!>
Woof ;)
Kris Krieger wrote:

;)
BTW, I stuck my head briefly inside a candy shop yesterday, and on a box, they had a frontal pic of a woman's lower half wearing only this skimpy "g-string" composed solely of those little round candies on strings. You know the ones I mean? (Maybe I should go back and take a photo.) After all that candy, though, I would probably be would put off the main course.
It's an urban planning thing which relates to the neglect of important beaver habitat in favor of "candy".

So you don't want government to subsidize your job?

You equate education in importance with transit schemes, when people are very willing to drive themselves at their own expense. You have to force people to take transit.

At least in Rochester, no one is forcing anyone to do anything.
In terms of % of total market, transit is so small a percentage all public policy is how to figure out how to force people onto it, and that includes findings more and more sources of gifts.
wrote in message[snip]

Willing to drive themselves, or forced because that is their only accessible means of transportation?
That sword cuts both ways.
A lot of people *hate* driving, because there are so many a-holes on the road and that makes it very stressful; OTOH, people I've known who could access public transport can actually *use* their commuting time to read, work through problems, do email via a laptop, and do other things that are much more productive (or simply more relaxing) than struggling with speeders, reckless drivers, road-ragers, and Mad Max Wannabes.
And if you live in Boston (as did my sister), it's idiotic to tryu to have a car, ebcasue teh transport *is* good, and the city is old and simply was not set up to accomidate mobs of sutomobiles, not even small ones (never mind behemoths).

Well, when you have to walk 5 miles just to get to a bus stop, then yeah, public transport *won't* become a larger percentage of travel. It's not a matter of "gifts" or "forcing", as much as it's a matter of accessibility and routing.
I say routing because currently, at least where I've lived, even if one can get to a bus stop, that bus snakes all over creation before actually heading anywhere - which is why I was thinking of "feeders"that could be small neighborhood "trolleys" (or maybe solar-recharged electric vans could work out) that go from suburban neighborhoods, to pickup points from which the bus (or whatever) could go directly downtown, or directly to one of the smaller, more localized city-centers.
OTOH, you seem to be most interested in finding excuses to not bother even *thinking* about anything other than cars, cars, and more cars. So who is actually forcing whom to do what?
wrote in message

Like in NYC and London, where the mayors are doing their best to charge everyone to drive a few blocks, so jealous are they of their transit systems. And Bloomberg? Yes. He has his Suburbans drive him to a transit stop so he can be seen by the press emerging. So wonderful you arguments.

People drive right by bus stops in their cars, which is what annoys people like you.
george conklin wrote:

Cars annoy people like me.
wrote in message

So you mental problems require a national solution?
george conklin wrote:

Cars are banes on the mental and physical environment.