Re: They did what?

Congress has outlawed incandescent lightbulbs.

> > CFL's (Compact Fluorescent) have issues, less than before, and the market > competition was causing the manufacturers to solve those issues. > Now, the market is in their favor so why should they waste time and money > solving those issues when people will be required to buy them anyway? > Yes, you are in the beginning stages of the endarkenment, no pun intended, > and its falling all around you. > And the rocket sled hurtles ever faster....... > >

Not that I approve of their move, I've heard of the problems of CFLs (how do you dispose of so much mercury safetly without it getting into the environment?), but LEDs are well on their way to being the market competition and they will still be forced to compete in the very near future. Though honestly I don't see how they will be able to compete once LEDs go mainstream. Don't throw away your shades too soon.

Reply to
Edgar

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

"Even though the amount sealed in each bulb is small?one old-fashioned thermometer had about 100 times as much mercury?contact local trash collection for disposal instructions."

Call the trash collection dooodz? What are they going to know? Here, not much, I'd wager. Everythign goes intot ehtrash, because there is no collection *other* than trash collection. The closes recycle place to this house is not close at all, maybe 8 miles - round trip is half a gallon of gas. And they don't tae batteries and stuff - that has to go "somewhere else", which is at least twice the distance. *Everything* goes intot eh trash.

OTOH, in the post-apocalyptic furture, Texas and similar states will once again be doted with drills and miners - except they'll be drilling for trace metals, methane, steel, and so on...

"Maine's Department of Environmental Protection has developed the best advice on the procedures to follow if a CFL breaks. Don't use a vacuum. "

I'm SOL - been using fluorescent lights ever since they came out with those ring-shaped things that screwed into a lamp and fit inside of lampshades (well, large ones, back then...) Too late, I've been "mercurized"...

Maybethat explains much...

Reply to
Kris Krieger