Re: The value of shopping local

Page 6 of 12
3D Peruna wrote:

Paul, I thought you were doing architecture or architectural development or something like that... What are you doing in social work?
Warm Worm wrote:

I'm an architect with "full time" ecclesiastical responsibilities. They include counseling, financial assistance, etc.
Architect by day, super hero (hah!) by night... that sort of thing...
3D Peruna wrote:

Oh ok. Have fun, supe! :)

They are unless I live in a fortress and never leave it.
Don wrote:

"...Many states have broad statutes requiring 'any person' to report.
* Extent of the knowledge triggering the duty to report varies. Some statutes call for reporting upon a mere 'reasonable cause to believe' or a 'reasonable suspicion.' Other statutes require the reporter to 'know or suspect,' which is a higher degree of knowledge.
* Failure to report suspected child abuse can result in criminal liability, although the liability is typically a misdemeanor punishable by a fine.
* Failure to report can result in civil liability..."
Rest of article: -- http://www.smith-lawfirm.com/mandatory_reporting.htm

I think you're "projecting".

"According to a recent UNICEF report on child well-being[3] the United States... ranked lowest among rich nations with respect to the well being of their children." -- Wikipedia.org
Don wrote:

I hardly watch tv, and I speak and write English. How about you? (Not that it's any of my business, mind you.)
Why even bother being on here and chatting with 'people'-- a community so to speak-- and blasting the US government (notice I didn't write 'your' government) and practically "everything else under the sun" if you're into minding your own business? Wow. It seems kind of ironic and contradictory... and hardly lends itself well to my sense that you might somehow create a better world than what we now have.
Don wrote:

Perhaps your apparent attitudes and values you've expressed over the years-- unstandardized education, child "neglect", uncontrolled private weaponry, land-ownership and markets-- speaks closer to the dialect than you realize of a government you apparently love to hate.

If you want to be flippant, disingenuous or cryptic, that's your prerogative, and, again, seems along the lines of some of the values or modus operandi of your very own pet-peeve of a government.
Dictatorships and the like come and go, but their core values, attitudes and styles remain.

Therein lies the problem.

More to the point, if someone is beating and otherwise abusing a dog or cat, is it anyone's business? Is it anyone's business if, for example, Michael Vick was running a dog-fighting ring? If so, why? THe dogs are his property, after all.
If it is someone else's business, then why is it "nobody's business" if someone is harming their children? I don't mean giving their kid a pop on the butt once in a while; I mean beating with belts and sticks, neglecting, keeping ignorant so as to try to maintain dominance, and so on.

Establishment of parameters.

Well, I guess I just think that it's worthwhile to teach kids toread and write. I know how hard it is to overcome parental resistance to education, and how much of a good start good education can be (again, not saying the source is, or has to be, the public warehouse). I personally think that parents who block the development (including education) of a child are committing abuse, a vie rooted in my personal experience, because it *does* impinge upon so many areas of life.
Minding one's own business is fine, but to just leave kids to suffer the consequences of parental shitheadedness is IMO at best hard-hearted, but it also is short-sighted. To say much more, I'd have to go into the reasons for my view, which reasons are largely (1) personal expereince, and (2) observation of other people I've known. I really do not want to get into all of that, for reasons that ought to be obvious, but suffice it to say that I'm not merely making stuff up as I go along - when I say that lack of education, or poor education, and parental neglect impact not only the adults whom the children gorw up to be, but also the society in which they live.
But it;s late right now and I'm too tired to continue ...gotta get some ZZZs.

THe argument is probably something like, "Poor people need food, transportation, soap, and clothing as well as do rich people".
What always gets swept aside is the fact taht in all of those areas, once can choose whether to be frugal, average, or extravagent in their spending. I recall a news story a year or two ago, where we were all supposed to feel sorry for some doood who was "struggling" to pay to put ever-more-expensive gasoline into his $750/month-payment 9MPG mega-truck - the fool was unemployed and living with Mommy and Daddy. No pity from me (driver of old 29MPG - yes, I check it periodically - basic Saturn).
Price is sometimes, but not always, an indicator of quality or origin. THose expensive "designer" duds are typically made in the same third- world sweatshop as the cheaper jecns, it's just that they have someone's name plastered across the ass. Everyone has a choice re: what they want to pay for.
"Choice" meats have less fat (ergo are healthier) than are Grade A to AAA meats - choice. You can pay for nutrition, or fat - choice. Same with "fast food" - pay for convenience, or pay for quality/nutrition - choice. Toll roads that are decently maintained (here, called the "Lexus Lanes" by various nitwits) versus slower roads paid for by "the gov.t" (i.e. taxes, i.e., you and me) - choice.
We all have freedom to choose how we'll use our income. People with lower income have mroe restricted choices, but for most, there nevertheless *are* choices.
What pisses me off is being robbed to support other people's stupid choices and general ineptitude...tho' it also pisses me off when chouice is destroyed by a few fatasses who are basically just running their companies, and possibly the eeconomy, into the ground out of psychotic levels of greed that exceed a healthy desire to make a profit.

I think they used to be (one-room schoolhouse model, where teachers were actually expected to know something, and pass knowledge on to the children), and the bureaucracy took over education. Bureaucracy, in th eend, exists mainly to exist, and remain in existence - things like education or public policy, etc., are mere side effects (when they happen at all).

wrote in message

Education - not mere memorization of facts, but learning how to think and reason - is not a social rogram (such as welfare), it is a necessary element to democracy. Democracy depends upon people understanding the decisions they need to make. Education is an investment. The ignorenti cannot make the sorts of decisions that maintain liberty - only people lifted out of ignorance can do so.
Public works tend to be a matter for the communities which they'd affect.

Yeah, but that doesn't relieve them of their constitutional right to personally bear thermonuclear weapons....
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

I'm a bit offended I'm not allowed to...
Actually, the Constitution expressly permits me to bear arms--and it doesn't qualify what type. It is also clear (from those who wrote it) that the purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to ensure the people have the ability to overthrow the government if it becomes tyrannical. From this it would also follow that the people then have the right to bear whatever arms the government may also have so that an adequate defense may be made.

What about the Cruise Winnebago? That ought to make the Taliban nervous: a blue collar worker with a 6-pack out for the weekend with a nuclear missle on board?
George Conklin wrote:

Personally, I don't think I'd like that. But, whatever you like. Remember, right is not to be infringed...
3D Peruna wrote:

Assuming that's an adequate defense. Thermonuclear bombs seem a little paradoxical in nature in that they'll kill everything, including the owner. :D
Warm Worm wrote:

It all depends on the delivery method...
3D Peruna wrote:

Which would be?