Re: The value of shopping local

Page 11 of 12

Except that he doesn't seem to expect that at all. DOn seems to be an anarchist, in the technical meaning of the word (simply, No GOv.t). I find this interesting/curious, because I'm wondering how it relates to human groups (and their interactions) in general.

He expects, I htink, to have the means to defend that right himself.

Prob. becasue the two things are worded differently. But that's a bit of a different issue.

Actually, what he said is that he'd be willing pay a fee to drive over it should he choose to do so. ANyway, the road was a different example, and he already answered that question.

I'm not acting like that - it's a gross misinterpretation. I have my own questions, and my own reasons for asking them, which are not the same as anyone else's. But others seem to be trying to reinterpret my questions to fit into their own views. All I am "acting like" is I'm the person who is asking my questions for my own reasons. For some reason that I don't understand, this seems to be upsetting to a few people, who seem determined to tell me what I am asking, why I am "really" asking it, what the answers "really" mean - and what sort of lowlife I am for not getting into a froth over the answers and/or for questioning their interpretations of those answers.

WHich is why I was trying to limit my question to a very local situation.

But he is _not_ willing to pay for the indirect benefits he receives, nor to eschew those benefits.

It doesn't make the larger issue just go away, however.

I dunno, maybe some people just get irate when someone else saysthat their point does not follow logically from when they claim. I do remember that, when I worked at teh Agency, there were a few analysts who would have blue fits if as much as one semicolon of their precious verbiage got changed by an editor. Maybe it's a related phenomenon, this thing of deflecting off of a topic so as to make a personal comment.
WHat pops into my mind is actually a commercial. Two women are sitting on a bench (why, I dunno, not relevant). One, who looks like a normal everyday person, is ahve a good time eating some sort of sandwich (the ad is for the sandwich, but I can't remember *that* part of it <L!>). Anyhoo, the other woman is dolled up like a supermodel, staring at teh normal woman, and we hear her thought process, about how teh other woman is enjoying that so much, and so on and on, and then it turns into how it shoudl be the model-type enjoying it, it should be hers, and so on. THen out of the blue, she looks at the other woman and says, "I hate you!"
Like the rather bewildered owman who is just eating her lunch, I find a great many human actions and reactions to be completely bewildering...
wrote in

If it is the commercial I am thinking of, the hated woman is quite gratified to be so ;-)
wrote in

I think it's possible that her reaction is intentionally nebulous so that people can project onto it whatever they themselves would feel in a similar situation. I would be bewlidered and probably defensive; I'm not able to understand why or how someone might feel gratified to have someone else just holler "I hate you" out of the blue...I'm also not sure that I would really *want* to be able to comprehend/relate to such a reaction...
wrote in

I was born in 1956 =:-o Mental age is another matter, of course ;) - I seem to have been very old when young, and getting younger as I get older <G!>
Overall, tho', people *do* seem to be a lot more, what's the best word, hypersensitive?, then seems to have been the case in the past. It becomes a problem when feelings take total precedence over logic/rationality. I'd be interested inwhether a study has been done comparing the *statistical percentage* of mass-murderers in the population (plain numbers would increase as population increases), because I think there is a correlation of sorts between lack of self- control, and this business of blowing away unmpety-ump complete strangers before offing onself, as opposed to just suicide. THis is whjy I don't think that, as I'd mentioned elsewhere, violence can be controlled merely by controlling access to things - I think there is a fundamental problem with the society/culture.

It's not too difficult - I don't move as fast as I used to ;)
[snip]

THat all makes perfect sense to me.

I personally struggle perennially with the whole individual-group thing. On the one hand, there *are* things I thing are valid, and other things I just believe in. OTOH, I've also felt, for most of my life, rather tyrannized by The Almighty Fat Belly Of The Bell Curve, by sociocultural norms that simlutaneously reject me and a hell of a lot of other peole as well, and demand a conformation that I am, like many, unable to provide. Not because I'm violent or nasty or any of that, just because, well, I don't really comprehend why, not sure that the "why" matters a whole lot. What matters is coping with it.

A whole heck of a lot of people get *really* POed when one says something like that - it throws many for a loop to realize that one simply doesn't care whether or not they approve of one's life.

Heh, interesting mental image, GOing to Hell on a rocket sled, cool ;)
wrote in

I always think when I see statements like that that the person cares all too much...
wrote in

Whatever makes you feel better, I guess, but the assumption would not necessarily be correct.
wrote in

If someone genuinely didn't care what other people thought of him, why on earth would he announce the fact?
wrote in

I think I read that Don won't engage you, or something to that effect. A day or so earlier I read that I haven't the courage to address him directly, since I won't argue with a guy who'll say the types of things he says, and so can't be taken seriously. Don seems to want it both ways: AC-DC.
I don't know who posted it first, but it's easily the 3rd time I've cited this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_attribution_error
(which is why the group is still worth it despite the odd lunacy.)

I think it's cute that he measures his success by yours. You must be a heck of a guy that so many people look at you as a yardstick.

I'll bet you didn't know that I was the template for Howard Roark.
wrote in

"Announce" is a charged word and is not the same as either "make a side comment that" or "include in a discussion with someone because it seems to the two of them that it relates to the topic".
Also, don't confuse "care" (as in, "to be emotionally invested in and therefore concerned with, or having anxiety about") with "clarify". Someone can have an intellectual interest in attemting to clarify a point, without being emotionally invested in whether one or more specific poeple will be able to, or more specifically choose to, comprehend that clarification.
wrote in

Yeah, but why waste your breath, unless we're eavesdropping on some interior self-affirmation he learned from Tony Robbins....or an inadvertent post to the wrong group like ++ doesn't now and again....

Hmm? I didn't demand that. I was asking why, if one did not wish to be aprt of a community, one would wish to live within that community, as opposed to leaving.

Yup. It's a trade-off, a choice. Nothing is ever perfect, at least not all of the time.

That's exactly true. But that wasn't what I was asking about. I'm not attacking or accusing, I'm just asking questions. If I sound rude, you have to ell me, because I have little sense of that sort of thing, but being rude isn't my intent...

Yeah, it's bizarre when you move to what seems ike the middle of nowhere, and then, WHammo!, some developer comes in, and next thing you know, you're hemmed in on all sides and have HOA ruleboks being thrown at you.

That's how you know ya got it good ;)
I've pretty much lost my tolerance for rudeness. It's just *unnecessary*, also it's a waste of energy, because it takes far more energy to be all POed at the world and frown and be rude, than it takes to just be a bit Zen and treat people with basic civility.

The medium is difficult for most people. I like it because I'm much better in writing, then speaking. But for most folks, it's the other way around, I assume because one cannot hear vocal inflections or see facial expressions or hand gestures. Since i'm not as adept at interpreting inflections and expressions, it's less improtant if I don't see them. But I have the feeling that, for many epole, *not* being able to see/hear those cues makes it much easier to impart their own emotions into the words of others. Or maybe not - I'm just theorizing again.

Heh, sounds like my eldest sister, the one who moved to Australia.

Oh yeah - "QDU" - duh. That one was a lot better than I'd expected it'd be. Alan Rickman always brings a certain level of quality to a film. I also saw a very un-advertised little film called, IIRC, "Somethign the Lord Made", about the first ever heart surgery - a very excellent film, if you can find it.

It's based on historical fact, which is the best part. I don';t often recommend films, but this low-key gem is IMO a top-notch bend of history, with excellent scripting and acting. One of my all-time favorites (which might not be saying much, considering some of the other films that are my favorites <ROFL!!>)