Re: Supreme Court Overturns Constitution

ROTFLMAO

Checked out the rest of the site? Howard Roark get's his radical libertarian ideas and rhetoric in bulk via the gov't sponsored internet...lol...Reminds me of Lisa Simpson in an episode where she says of her brother's new earing, "How rebellious!... in a conformist sort of way."

It's all "I, I, Me, Me, Mine" you realize, wrapped in conterfeit rationalizations. Infantile in a way, except for the cover-up. They can't just come out and say, "What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine, whenever it suits me."

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

The only thing I was thinking of in High School, was how I can get into some girls pants, and how fun it would be to be able to draw as a job (i.e. Architecture). Like I said, I don't agree with most of it, but I commend him for going beyond what the books and his teachers tell him. I definitely could not write the way he does at his age (I was a math nerd not an english nerd). All the websites in the world can spout about anything they want, that's what freedom of speech is for. It still doesn't mean it works.

Reply to
Edgar

You probably had a nice life, with lots of support. I was living alone at

16, reading the existentialists and Freudo-Marxists in high school. My point about being infantile was not a condemnation of the kid and his youth, per se. A lot of libertarian stuff strikes me as infantile, and hypocritically self-serving. They're usually well-positioned 'haves' arguing against sharing with disadvantaged 'have nots'. Not pretty.

The kid is probably parrot a significant older person.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

It's called having a discussion without resorting to bashing the other guy, and possibly learning something from it. You should try it some time. You may have had a hard life, but not everyone sucks, not everyone is out to get you. The world does not revolve around you...get that through your skull. Everyone has their problems, not just you.

Reply to
Edgar

You are correct, I was fully supported as a child, I thank the stars and everything that exists for my parents. I know not everyone has had what I had. I try to repay in some small way what I have been given, by my parents coming here illegally, by my dad being the strict person he was that led me to not understand not to sway even a little from what I want, by my mom always being there for me, and by all the people along the way that helped me.

How did you end up being alone at that age? It must have been hard, I could not imagine it being different for me.

As for libertarianism, your right, but pretty much the whole of the entire human race is an infant in it's growing stages, thinking it knows what's right. It's funny in Don's reply he accuses you of doing the exact same thing you accuse of him. We can't all be right I think. It may seem like your right in some ways, he could be coming from what his dad taught him, or someone he admires. He may just be really interested in the stuff. At least he is young enough not to know better. Others, I'm not so sure about. The argument is always about how those who are getting help obviously don't deserve it. It's always about those that take risks and win, but never about those that took a risk and lost it all, and ended up in some gutter. No libertarian talks about that, and it's probably safe to say a libertarian in such a position quickly changed his mind. Maybe only to change it back when he felt comfortable again. Like I said, there are no truths, just the full spectrum of ideas.

I wanted before to post with regards to Pascal's Wager before, but instead considering the opposite. If we take the opposite view, we can posit that it's almost plainly obvious that the whole religious thing has been made in order to control man, and the truth could possibly be that there is nothing after life. It can be then concluded that why not live this life to feel and see everything it has to offer, whether it be amoral to society or not. It seems to me, the serial killers of this world are not to far off in insanity from some of the Christians of this world. I've never liked extremes, always down the middle path, and it seems lately it is the path less traveled.

Reply to
Edgar

It wasn't pretty, and the preoccupations of a few decades (including the existentialists) reflect that fact. That's why I assumed what I did about your base. It sounds like you had shelter *at* home....I spent a bunch of time trying to devise shelter *from* home. It's probably one of the things that pulled me into architecture. All went well after I was on my own. The jack-boot thugs gave me a (barely) livable allowance while I finished high school ; ) Then later the gave me and loaned me money to go to university. Those bastards! Now I happily pay my probably higher taxes, knowing that we're all connected, and haven't stopped to think of the ROI they got by investing in me, but it must be pretty good. In a word, I'm grateful to my city, my province, and my country.

DOWN BY THE HENRY MOORE

Murray McLauchlin

I walked down to Kensington Market Bought me a fish to fry I went to the Silver Dollar Looked a stranger in the eye A friend of mine says That he don't think this town's so out of sight But he's got shades 'round his soul And he thinks he's seen the light

Singin' don't you want to keep on moving Don't you want to get undone Don't you want to change from losing Don't you want to have some fun ...

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

LOL...there it is...me, me, me, me. I'm sure you realize he plonked you long ago.

Reply to
Edgar

People do, I speak to someone who poses Pascal's wager anytime the subject of atheism comes up. I prefer my self respect, and if there is a God, he gave you a brain to think with, why would you not use one of his gifts. Of course, I don't believe it for a second, there are ideas in Quantum Physics regarding multiple dimensions I'd take more seriously than any religions dogma.

Not even down the middle, the majority of talking heads are just extremists in nice clothing. There will never be anything else without compromise, but those people are unwilling to do such things. A lot of people don't seem to be willing to do it, because they know their side is "right".

I don't know if you have ever been interested in philosophy but those type of questions get asked a lot. Can God make a box he can't fit in? The one I always come back to myself, personally, is if god is omni-everything, does it not lead one to conclude that God is the purest good, and the purest of evil? Doesn't really matter though, words, language, all of that is a human construct, with all its faults. Philosophy was one of my favorite subjects in College, though it was very tough, I didn't do all that great. It has led me to the belief though, that the world is most definitely not black and white.

Reply to
Edgar

Here's one that'll make you chickle some more. I've even voted to raise taxes...GASP!

That one will keep him busy for a while.

Reply to
Edgar

The previous neo-conservative provincial government eliminated the program that put me through high school, among other things, and then sent me a $200 check a few years back. The province (schools, hospitals, etc.) went to $hit, the electorate bounced the rednecks, and I would definitely support reinstituting the program, among others, and give them back the money. There's a balancing act between the levels of taxation, the quality of life, and the health of the economy. You can go too far in either direction.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Why do I think of plonking when I read this?

Reply to
Señor Popcorn

Cuz you're smart.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Well thanks, I like to think I have my moments, but I promise not to plonk you should you decide to throw "unconstructive" or "less-than- flattering" commentary, or retract your above statement. ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm