Re: Sheetrock

I looked as in apartment complex. It used to be an old motel. Units

> are basically SROs without kitchens. Zoning and original building > permit was for motel but has been "converted" to apartments without > any town approvals. Built in the early 60s. Wood frame (not block > between the units). > > The units were built with 3/8th sheetrock, not 5/8th. The building > inspector says it needs 5/8th sheetrock on all party walls. > > Building also has non-existent smoke detector system, etc. > > I was thinking of trying to negotiated with the CEO because the > sheetrocking cost is a killer. I am getting bids by the end of the > week but I expect somewhere around maybe $1,000 per unit to go over > top of the existing sheetrock. I was trying to think of ways I could > present this, such as "we will provide state-of-the art smoke > detection to protect the tenants". I would be willing to include pull > alarms, etc. > > Anyone have any experience with such a situation and how to cure the > sheetrock issue. > > Also, in the boiler room there are lots of wire and pipes that would > make sheetrocking VERY difficult. I was wondering about using a > popcorn gun to blow drywall compound on to the wall instead of > sheetrocking it -- sort of like a half-inch of knockdown. Is there > anything else easy, cheap and readily available I could spray on? > > Never a dull moment.

You're pushing a rock uphill, Pat. I'm surprised they're not asking for two layers of 5/8" drywall on each side. Google tumescent paints and see if that works for you and the AHJ.

RicodJour

The only person whose opinion counts is the inspector who will be signing off on your project. There are products out there, but inspectors are not required to approve their use. The standard way of shooting you down is to approval it conditionally, and the condition is that you do a full scale UL test with your intended construction.

Any way, it can't hurt to ask.

This is what the NY State code has to say about the code enforcement official: "=A7104.11 Alternate materials, design and methods of construction and equipment. The provisions of this code are not intended to prevent the installation of any material or to prohibit any design or method of construction not specifically prescribed by this code, provided that any such alternative has been approved. An alternative material, design or method of construction shall be approved where the State Fire Prevention and Building Code Council finds that the proposed design is satisfactory and complies with the intent of the provisions of this code, and that the material, method or work offered is, for the purpose intended, at least the equivalent of that prescribed in this code in quality, strength, effectiveness, fire resistance, durability and safety."

Have you seen this web site?

It's a little kludgy, but it's up to date and it will help you do your homework.

The council mentioned above might be of help. Here's a link to get you started:

BTW, my paycheck hasn't arrived in the mail yet, Pat. Maybe you should send a new one...

RicodJour