Re: Proved my case.

My investigation shows that the soffit panels came loose from the fascia and

> then whipped around in the wind but remained attached to the J channel with > the caulk. If I had installed the fascia nails at 12" o/c and caulked the > soffit/fascia joint I believe none of these panels would have come loose. >

Don:

You have provided an excellent example of localized higher than normal wind pressures due to wind vortexes at places where there is a shape change. This is addressed in IBC2003/ASCE 7-02 with load factors for localized pressures running as much as twice the pressures for the structure as a whole.

Wall corners, rake edges, and eaves/soffits are all subject to this particular phenomenon.

As for your proposed solution, I concur that a positive connection in the form of nails or screws painted to match the surrounding surface would add quite a bit of strength to the soffit panel connection.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Wealthy my ass............

Reply to
P Fritz

You have some damn good ideas IMO, Don. I save a lot of your posts. I never would have thought of this and I betcha that you don't have a lot of company regarding folks who thought of it.

I bet you could definitely write a book. I dunno about FEMA tho', they can't even do what they're supposed to be doing now.

Actually, here's another idea (to make some $$, one hopes ;) ):

Interactive CD or CVD presentation.

You write the content. Take some photos maybe.

Your DVD-dood creates or commissions additional illustrations, renders, etc., organizes your data to optimize it for interactive CD/DVD, structures the presentation, does the interface, and the other bits of things needed to create interactive disks.

It can accompany a companion book, or you could offer each separately.

I'd wanted to do something like that as a sort of interactive encyclopedia of gardening with native plants and their cultivars, but I don't know "entrepenurial" stuff like marketing or how to get funded or any of that.

But my whole idea would be to make the info (native spp, or hurricane proofing, or etc.) accessible across a wide spectrum of people. It's an offshoot of Francis D.K. Ching's great books, where there ilustrations and the words go hand-in-hand to make construction and other architectural topics accessible to both pros and lay people. I thik it'd be great to expand on his idea and offer a variety of images (as above, photos, schematics, and renders) that compliment, and are complimented by, text. Another good thing about Ching's books is that the text and images balance out in terms of quantity/emhasis, AND, even more, his writing style is intelligent but casual, IOW easily understood, practical, CLEAR.

I think you have a lot of good ideas - a number of the folks here do - and I think it'd be a *great* idea to create interactive disks with companion books to present those ideas, bring them to life for a wide audience.

I think it'd also be a lot of fun but I prob. just need a life

- Kris

"Don" wrote in news:a1N7f.444$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Kris Krieger" wrote in message news:OvP7f.1786$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Amazon and Cafepress offer options for "self publication" of written and video material...I think Amazon's is better on the video front...

Reply to
3D Peruna

"3D Peruna" wrote in news:GqS7f.837$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga:

Ah, I found it - thanks, I never know that was available.

I've known a couple people who did presentations in the past but I got of touch and don't knwo whether they're still doing that sort of work.

Then there is sales/marketing ... that's a peculiar talent (one which I do not posess - I always had the lowest numbers - decided I was far better at being a data weenie).

Practically speaking, a large part of the challenge is the time it takes to do something like that because of the great many differnt functions required. Personally, my advantage is that I don't have kids or piles of relatives demanding my attention. But still, the time has to be taken away from other things, meaning that one has to hire someone do do those things, which takes $$. Then there are supplies and possibly software. That also takes $$.

And if one has to work with others, they have to be paid, plus one has to accomidate their schedules and backlogs. Again, takes $$.

And if one gets a loan, but the thing doesn't sell (or you don't know how to market it, same difference), well, you still have to pay back the loan. It's complex and really easy to get oneself deeply in debt. And if you have to work with other people...that's its own barrel of worms.

IOW, for a project like that, it's more than finding a publisher - it's finding the funding. And then managing the project. While trying to avoid biting off more than one can chew =:-o

Not that the above things are undoable, just that it's too time-consuming and complex to do gratis.

OTOH for finished things, and smaller projects (i.e. that don't require funding), the Amazon.com service seems like it could be really nifty, so thanks for that info :)

Reply to
Kris Krieger