Re: National ID

"Don" wrote in news:Qa0Ye.1956$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

James Baker and Jimmy Carter are working up a deal where voters must > have a picture ID. > > Apparently *disadvantaged* persons, or those with *unequal > opportunities* have little time, need or funding to aquire a drivers > license to present as a picture ID at the polls. > > In past elections these persons simply supplied a utility bill or > voter registration card so that they might vote.

Hell, Don, I remember when they didn't even put your picture on your license......how times have changed (for the worse)...

The idea is that the proposal by those 2 folks, Baker and Carter, will > cause thousands or millions of poor persons and others to not be able > to vote in elections. > > Is this a good idea? > > Is this in accordance with the strict writings of the Constitution > that requires no such thing? > (photgraphy itself was not invented until long after the ratification)

I think (but check as I am not sure) that one had to be a property owner and of the age of majority in order to vote back then.

Why should people that do NOT pay income tax be allowed to influence, > no matter how small that influence might be, how those taxes are > disbursed through their voting of chosen politicians?

Originally, the thought was similar - people who were itinerants of temporary residents or whatever were not deemed to have a permanent stake in the nation.

As the spending of taxes is only one facet of the power wielded by > elected politicians is it not right that all persons that meet the > qualifications set forth by the Constitution (go read it sometime, I > double dog dare ya) be able to choose those people that have effect > upon their lives? > > Hopefully you'll be able to connect the dots here to see clearly that > when a National ID is required of *some* of the populace it is only a > matter of time that ALL of the populace will be required to possess > the same ID. Once this is done whats next, tattoo barcode?, implanted > ID chip?, retina printing? frenum tracks? You get the idea.

People have been calling for a national ID for a while now. For *all* people.

I wonder whether Australia has a national ID/tracking system...

I will remind you, just in case you somehow forgot your 8th grade > Civics class, that the United States of America is unique on this > Earth that it is unlike other countries that are sovereign entities > unto themselves, and it is rather a collection of FIFTY individual > sovereign states (sort of like small countries), prohibiting the > unification by gov't or others into one mass body.

Oh Don, stop confusing the issue with the facts. You and Gruhn and 3D Peruna just *insist* upon doing that! How un-American of y'all.

Though this fact is > mainly disregarded by misconstrued things like the Interstate Commerce > clause and the General Welfare clause, just to mention two, (banking, > assembly of national military force, social security, and on and on > and on, etc.) this is no justification for the total disregard of the > sovereign status of each of the individual states comprising these > United States of America. I won't even go there about the sovereign > status of the individual persons.

Oh Don, don't you realize that these days, the term "individual" is merely a metaphor? Get with modern politics!

In other words, isn't the issue of identification of voters a *states* > issue rather than a national issue?

One would think. Same as right to vote. You have to register to vote in each state you move to. Just as you have to get a new driver's license each time you move from one state to another.

*When the responsibilty and rights of states has been finally > discounted in full by incremental steps there will be no point of > individual representation of these bodies.* > --gs, 2005 > > (sounds like something Jefferson would have written, rather than the > whiney, embarrassing stuff demonstrated by popular politicians of > late)

Ah yes, whining - the path to power of the "terrible twos" - pretty disgusting that, these days, it remains so right through adulthood and to old age...

14 or fight.

??

Reply to
Kris Krieger

They can get a "state ID" .......hell most of the drivers in Detroit think that works as a drivers license. ;-)

Yes.........it might decrease the turn out of dead voters in Chicago ;-)

It is left to the states.....

We are already well om the way....can you say Social Security number?

Yes

Reply to
P Fritz

  • strikes a heroic pose:

"Because that's the only fair way to run a democracy."

  • preens a little
Reply to
gruhn

"Don" wrote in news:v2dYe.2365$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I don't know whether they had income tax back then, so I guess property ownership was their yardstick.

Income tax, social security tax.

OTOH, what about stay-at-home mothers (or fathers) whose spouse works? No income-no income tax, so any non-working spouse or partner would be closed out as well, even tho' such people are also directly affected.

More to the point, where and how would or could *any* line be drawn? That end up being the problem.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news:3hfYe.1673$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Uh-oh, now I'm worried.... ;)