Re: National ID

Hell, Don, I remember when they didn't even put your picture on your license......how times have changed (for the worse)...

I think (but check as I am not sure) that one had to be a property owner and of the age of majority in order to vote back then.

Originally, the thought was similar - people who were itinerants of temporary residents or whatever were not deemed to have a permanent stake in the nation.

People have been calling for a national ID for a while now. For *all* people.
I wonder whether Australia has a national ID/tracking system...

Oh Don, stop confusing the issue with the facts. You and Gruhn and 3D Peruna just *insist* upon doing that! How un-American of y'all.

Oh Don, don't you realize that these days, the term "individual" is merely a metaphor? Get with modern politics!

One would think. Same as right to vote. You have to register to vote in each state you move to. Just as you have to get a new driver's license each time you move from one state to another.

Ah yes, whining - the path to power of the "terrible twos" - pretty disgusting that, these days, it remains so right through adulthood and to old age...

??

as
They can get a "state ID" .......hell most of the drivers in Detroit think that works as a drivers license. ;-)

cause
Yes.........it might decrease the turn out of dead voters in Chicago ;-)

It is left to the states.....

be
Once
We are already well om the way....can you say Social Security number?

is
security,
disregard
issue
Yes
in
whiney,

* strikes a heroic pose:
"Because that's the only fair way to run a democracy."
* preens a little

I don't know whether they had income tax back then, so I guess property ownership was their yardstick.
Income tax, social security tax.
OTOH, what about stay-at-home mothers (or fathers) whose spouse works? No income-no income tax, so any non-working spouse or partner would be closed out as well, even tho' such people are also directly affected.

More to the point, where and how would or could *any* line be drawn? That end up being the problem.

Uh-oh, now I'm worried.... ;)