Re: LED Neon

"Don"

Brings out the gay spirit in me.

There was a thread about something similar a while back. I kept the link - I'll add this one, too. I was thinking about "light cable" for the pool and yard. I think it could be "Nifty" having strings of light hanging into the pool ;)
LED's hate water and UV. Look at fiberoptic for yard and pool!
The RGB mixing is much like current TV and monitors. Look at www.colorkinetics.com they have been doing this for years. (NOTE: "white" is not a scientific term. colors in lighting should be treated like paint colors, descriptive but not definitive.)
Also note that LED's are NOT naturally efficient. Current top of the line is just begining to match poor fluorescent. Most LED's compare with incandescent. Of course there are mega$$$$ in research changing that, but they're not there yet.
OK I'll get off my soap box...
RickR

OK, thanks - I got the two products confused. The old link I have from some months back dealt with fibers that wouldn't be damaged by water.
So, LEDs = No Hydrol <G!>

Well, IMO, that third point is excellent info - I didn't know that. I use fluorescent lights because I get more lumens, and far less heat, per watt, which means, fewer worries about lampshades overheating, less strain on the air conditioner, less chance of my bird taking off and then plopping himself down onto a burning-hut light bulb, and so on. I dismiss halogens because of the heat. Also, I can't see how something that's converting large amounts of electricity into mere heat can be at all cost-effective.
At any rate, I'll keep that info re: LEDs in mind. Thanks for the info.
"Kris Krieger"

Oh but I do love halogens. The warm yet crisp yet unscientific whites they give off... the heat... They're intoxicating...