Re: Its sometimes difficult to.....

In alt.architecture , Don wrote :

We can rarely build high enough to allow 3rd floors but I constantly am asked to make the second floor larger than the main and garage combined. More like 30 than 50%. I call them mushroom houses....
Main is entry, a den, maybe a rec room, and a one or two bedroom rental suite, plus garage of course,on the upper is a full 3 or 4 bedroom home....
You end up with a row of posts across the back of the house, yuck. ron
"Ron" Don wrote :

There's someone here on alt.arch who has a site about fungi architecture. I wonder if this would qualify. :)

I wonder if you could somehow remove the posts, strongly anchor the base and have the upper portion cantilevered and flared outward in some sort of graceful arch... I imagine that might indeed look like a mushroom.
Richard MacIntyre wrote:

A well done arcade is far from yuck in some cases. Could double as a covered patio. As for a cantilever, what's the rule of thumb...something like, you can cantilever 1/4 of the length of the non cantilevered portion.
-- Night_Seer
Don wrote:

You guy's aren't really trying are you :-)
http://www.cse.polyu.edu.hk/~cecspoon/lwbt/Case_Studies/Wozoco/wm_mvrdv01.JPG
http://www.cse.polyu.edu.hk/~cecspoon/lwbt/Case_Studies/Wozoco/wm_mvrdv10.JPG
http://www.cse.polyu.edu.hk/~cecspoon/lwbt/Case_Studies/Wozoco/Wozoco.htm
I'm with Edgar on the covered patio/arcade idea I think it's nice to have a sheltered area you can view your garden from
Tim
"Edgar"

Most definitely.

I imagine the ultimate figure would depend on such things as the strength/weight of base/foundation/rest of building, the climate (ie. wind-forces), the strength, weight and usage of the cantilevered portion, and building codes.

That would be me.
wrt to a progressive increase in floor space, in Geelong (Victoria, Australia), there is a four or five storey commercial edifice built several decades ago as an upsidedown pyramid, but which is supported by slender square cols and raking corner beams in conc.
Further down the coast, not far from Bells Beach, there was a small house built upon a single conc pylon (around 8m high) and a square cantilevered slab. A pedestrian bridge spanned from the top of a sand dune to the slab. However, all was demolished after the conc was cracked beyond repair by raging bushfires.

There had not been another fire like it for some forty years and has not been another fire like it since.

It's all part of the service.
"o8TY"

Well hello there. :)

Given that Australia is down-under, an upside-down pyramid stands to reason, if only to keep it right-side up. Clearly, anything transported there from right-side up would inevitably arrive upside-down, relatively speaking.
...It's a good thing for Australia that they get gravity.

Perhaps there is a picture of it online somewhere that predates the fire... or a similar building.

Notwithstanding that pyramids travel pointy end forward...

And anti-gravity.

The Royal Australian Institute of architects (RAIA) should have something. From memory it was around Aireys Inlet.

Think Villa Savoye?
In alt.architecture , Don wrote :

If only they would listen, well sometimes they listen, but they won't do it due to the almighty buck, these are being built to flip (resell) and not to discerning buyers, just somebody that wants to pack too many people into a single dwelling ....
You can hardly sell a house, be it low market or upscale, without it having a suite to rent out. No wonder our realestate prices are soaring comparitively. Ron
In alt.architecture , Don wrote :

Nope they will still sell for maximum price regardless, remember I said indescriminate buyers ....

Not rooms, suites, namely 2 bedroom apartments, commonly about 800 sf. Some municipalities is legal, others are done after occupancy permit is granted.... ron

eg House of the Faun, Pompeii

Don wrote:

Have a look at
http://jetsetmodern.com/images2/ucsd1.jpg .
UCSD's Geisel Library.
Notan
Don wrote:

While it might not be able to withstand *those* forces, it's been there since 1970.
Notan
Notan wrote:

For more, have a look at http://jetsetmodern.com/geisel.htm .
Notan

I think photographer and I may agree - it'd be "nicer" without the plinth. Looks pretty cool/fun. Would like to see it in person.

San Diego m'be.
gruhn wrote:

You got it!
Notan