Re: I told her where to stick it.

Her 11' credenza that is.

> Seems its an issue for her, but like eye to eye clients web clients on the > upper end require even more handholding. > > In real estate its called *buyers Fatigue* but in the residential design > business this is a new occurrence. > It comes from propective homebuilders that search the stock plan files > online and get dizzy in the process. > There's so much out there and very little in the way of bricks and mortar > support that people everywhere are seeking a happy medium. > Like walking across the bridge of the unknown they need a little > handholding and that is not available online, yet. > > This current client is in Provence, France and emailed me 8 different > online stockplans that have a little something she likes but her 17th > century hand carved *shrunk*, at least thats what it sounded like what she > said (the picture she sent looked like a big, tiered credenza) won't fit > in any of them. I now must make a haven for it and at least eleventy-nine > other miracles she's requesting. My cellphone is smoking from the 2+ hour > verbal exchange, international deposit check in US funds forthcoming. > > 8 new *global* clients in 2 months time....I could get used to this but I > gotta admit the language thing might become a major problem. > She spoke better english than I spoke french which is very, very little. >

I would hope they don't Google your name. Lots of skeletons there. Good luck with your new business.

Reply to
Junior

I don't think I've ever worked for someone who's approached me with stock plans of any kind. It's a red flag for me that says, "Cheap and without any sophistication." Not my niche, and probably not worth the time spent on a good proposal. The crap out there is truly astonishing.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Well the designs may be "Cheap without any sophistication", but that, coupled with a working spouse has kept Don above water for quite a while, so who are we to judge. Besides he already told one client "were to stick it".

Reply to
Junior

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

I used to like looking at plan books, and online plans, until I realized that, if I ever get teh chance to build my own place, it will have ot be planned in accordance with *my* living, not someone else's. I thinkthat is the ultimate problem with not only pre-done plans, but for that matter, pre-built houses. You have to accomidate the plan, when really, if you're having ti done custom, the whole idea is to have the plan accomidate you.

Holy cow...

I think it'd be good to have pictures of things one likes, but plans, arrgh, IMO it seems like it would be better to describe how one lives, as opposed to saying "I wnat this part of plan a, thatpart of plan b, this thingy from plan c in the middle", and on and on like that.

THat must be very difficult to translate and work with...

Ouch. Good luck. Unfortunately, I know little to no French, either.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

I wonder if there's software out there that could input all the preferred stock floor-plans received from the client and automatically generate them into a completely new one that, like an offspring, would be a completely new plan, yet bear a lineage and resemblance to its parents.

With parametric modeling or some-such, it's probably on its way.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Warm Worm wrote in news:fnllvf$dvf$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

THat sounds like a complete nightmare...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

Oh, I gotcha - I was thinking of stacks of room-layouts one on top of the other.

I see - I was, for some reason, picturing/imagining something different. Probably my "hypercomplexificationalization" gene

What I did one time, just for grins, was gigure out what sorts of room sizes and shapes I'd like for various activities, chart them on graph paper, then cut them all out and play with rearranging them on another sheet of graph paper. ((Yes, I could certainly do it in both 2D and 3D, but sometimes I like to work with something physical.)) It was kind fo interesting to see what sorts fo things would work well, work poorly, and not work at all.

I guess it's something like that, then...sort of like a puzzle.

I don't think that can ever hurt!

Reply to
Kris Krieger

LOL, ya, after re-reading it with your POV in mind, I can see why you might think so... Ok, then how about "industrial-strength" parametric modeling in general then? Something out of Star-Trek perhaps...

Client: "Ok, make me a house... Let's start with a basic floor-plan." Computer/Arch-Software: "How wide and long?" Client: "Oh, let's say about '" wide and '" long." Computer/Arch-Software: (lays out a kind of template floorplan) "Done... Now tell me about the modifications." Client: "Ok, that's a start... Let's put the bathroom over here and make it bigger, and then add a double doorway..." Computer/Arch-Software: "Done. How does that look?" Client: "Getting better... Now, I want an extra room here, and another window here." Computer/Arch-Software: "Done." Client: "Make the window a little bigger." Computer/Arch-Software: "How's that?" Client: "Bigger." Computer/Arch-Software: "Okay?" Client: "A little bigger." Computer/Arch-Software: "Okay?" Client: "Too big. Make it smaller." Computer/Arch-Software: "How's this?" Client: "Too small... Haha-- just kidding! It was fine way before! Haha!" Computer/Arch-Software: "It's a good think I work for free."

Reply to
Warm Worm

Warm Worm wrote in news:fnpjjq$tdp$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

The thing isi, what you desctibe below is already done by designers.

ASFIK, the human brain is still (at least in some cases ;) ) the greatest computer of all. I don't understand the rush to try to replace it with computers - that still have to be designed, created, and programmed by humans...

The computer is a great tool for some things, but that's it - a tool. A hammer is also a great tool for some things. A hammer and a computer are usually not interchangeable, tho'.

Reply to
Kris Krieger