Re: I buyed me sum tomato-basil hummus.

What did you eat it with?
--
Edgar

Don wrote:

I rarely buy store-bought hummus, but when I do, I usually extend it by adding stuff to it from whatever I have at home; olive oil, pepper, onions, olives (ie., tapinade [paste]), finely-diced or paste green/red/other pepper, fresh or dried tomatoes (ie., in oil), paprika, parsley, more garlic, lemon, lime and/or tahini, a few drops of balsamic vinegar (maybe), other herbs (ideally, fresh) like basil, and even cheese, such as parmisan...
If you make it yourself, you might also get an idea of why the store's tastes terrible. Perhaps it's some kind of ingredient in particular. Adding too much of one thing can affect it badly. Balance.
Don wrote:

I've never done this before, but AFAIK, tahini is unroasted sesame seed paste, so I'm under the presumption that you could probably get away with any similar, subtle-tasting unroasted nut paste/butter, and in fact, you might end up with an even better hummus. Just please don't add Cheez Whiz to your hummus, or, if you do, don't tell me you did.

Why? That would go splendidly with the Bear Whiz Beer with which Don accompanies his meals of...well, more Bear Whiz Beer! I feel sorry for that poor 3rd tree on the left.
RicodJour wrote:

What the hell kind of beer is that? I don't drink beer as a rule, but that's probably one I'd pass up on. ...Frankly, I think beer's an overrated drink.

Frankly, I think you haven't had good beer. It has just as much complexity as any wine, at least the good ones do, and it's a lot chewier. ;)
RicodJour wrote:

I don't drink wine as a rule either, with some exceptions that include a summer picnic along a river with a basket of excellent French bread, red wine, cheeses, and lumpy pate, galantine and/or cretons; and as an insanely great addition to cooking recipes.

Frankly, I think you haven't had good beer. It has just as much complexity as any wine, at least the good ones do, and it's a lot chewier. ;)
I'm with you, though there's always persoanl taste. The bistro on the corner has over 20 specialty beers, many of them local, all of them great.
http://www.toronto.com/restaurants/article/506037
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

You _really_ need to get out more. http://tinyurl.com/3cqhpn

Twenty beers is a good start... Click on the beer bar link at the top. I hate sites that won't let you link directly. http://www.canterburyalesrestaurant.com/frameset.html
Bet you've never had a MONTY PYTHON HOLY GRAIL ALE, or YOUNGS DOUBLE CHOCOLATE STOUT PUB CAN. I haven't had the first yet, but with a name like that I've got to have it so I can keep the can. The double chocolate is killer. Normally I feel pretty stupid starting off the meal and asking for mud slide pie - that's kind of childish. When I order the double chocolate stout to start, I feel very adult!

You _really_ need to get out more. http://tinyurl.com/3cqhpn

Twenty beers is a good start... Click on the beer bar link at the top. I hate sites that won't let you link directly. http://www.canterburyalesrestaurant.com/frameset.html
That guitar lick sounds like "This Masquerade" by George Benson....

You _really_ need to get out more. http://tinyurl.com/3cqhpn

Twenty beers is a good start...
It's *1100 feet* away, Rico. Just a corner pub. Nothing special.
Don wrote:

That monk beer might actually sway me to the foul side of the (alco)force... Long as it's not govmonk.
Don wrote:

On second thought...
Don wrote:

Those Smithsonian-sized nuts might go nicely in the hummus, too.

I had hummus when I was in Mississippi... ack. I'm guessing that hummus from ohio must be similar. Dry, bland, grainy...
Good hummus has a nice garlic flavor and is smooth like a chip dip. Many better brands has some really nice flavors like hummus with Fresh Roasted Red Pepperas, or with roasted garlic, or Supremely Spicy, or with roassted pine nuts.
If you ever get a chance try to get some that was produced from somewhere multi-cultural and diverse IE: made by someone who makes and eats the stuff all the time.
Try http://www.sabra.com/togo_products.html a moist and smooth spread or for a really good classic hummus try http://www.hannahfoods.net /. Very yummy and it won't disappoint.
Interesting comparisons between Hannah and Sabra here: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/317545
Chowhound...heh heh... perfect name for this food crowd!

I'd want it produced by a mono-cultural outfit, and bought from either a mono or multi-cultural purveyor. I see no benefit to foodstuffs being processed through a multi-cultural wringer. Fusion food be damned!