Re: Florida Building Code- Residentail vs. NFPA

Several years ago I was an "expert witness" on a case where a drunk student fell over a 36" rail at 2nd floor of a rental 2 family house. He was permanently disabled, having landed on his head. Although both a structural engineer and I testified that the rail was up to code structurally and in design, the jury took one look at the poor guy in his wheel chair and gave him $16,000,000. That's why you overdesign so you can say you did everything you could to prevent the accident. EDS

This is a prime example of why most people are not qualified to sit on a jury. I think it's getting to the point we need professional juror's rather than select a group of people off a voting list.