Re: Fingerprint Reader

On 03 Dec 2007, Don wrote

Because it means you don't have to invent/remember/change any of your passwords anymore. I think.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian

Yeah it's a security thing I think, mostly. The weakest link in the security chain always seems to be the password, or, really, what's between the chair and the keyboard. It kind of takes the weakest link out of the equation.
--
Edgar

Yes, there are things called corporations, which revolve around servers and workstations. These workstations must have access to file/print/mail/etc. servers and this needs to be done securely lest someone get into your network. So people who work at said corporation have to have a password or the fingerprint scanner to log on and use the network resources. This is how it works in a place where you are not the only one who needs access to the server resources. When it comes to being connected to the outside world through the internet, a locked door is about as useful as a fish riding a bike.
--
Edgar

On 04 Dec 2007, Don wrote

I think -- not sure -- that it *replaces* your passwords with the biometric (rather than acting as a method of protecting or retrieving alphanumeric passwords).

Dunno; how do they handle that problem with other biometric ID systems?
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
HVS wrote:

Clearly, you need to spend a couple of weeks holed up watching spy movies so you can better understand the technology and how it really doesn't work in real life.

Yeah I love how huge they make some of these HVAC ducts. Especially in really small buildings, or homes.
--
Edgar