Re: Dubai skyscaper?

Wherever did you get the idea that richDubaiwas a thrid world country? >

> > > Ken S. Tucker wrote: > >Is this a good idea, > >
> >Weird that a 3rd world country builds that. > >If it doesn't fall down, it'll likely get blown > >up by terrorist's. > >I wonder if there's parking for camels. > > >Is it a good experiment? > > >Is this the wave of the future? > >Ken- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -

Upcoming tv program on Dubai:

aesthete8

Cuban place in Phoenix sometimes does conch fritters. Lovely.

Can't be a way to improve clam chowder. Harumph.

Reply to
gruhn

Around here, one restaurant does smoked conch

Reply to
++

Of the current big three, I think there is a *clearly superior* choice. Still isn't somebody I would vote _for_.

You can only vote for. You can't vote against. Sure, tactically you can vote against. Sure, if enough people vote against then the person elected may be done on the power of that vote. And the person elected? Will say "look, all these people voted _for_ me. A mandate of the people." When you cast your vote, you beg that person to have their way with you. You say "yes, I know you lied to me. I know you will abuse me. I know you will do none of those things you promised except those which will hurt me most. And I crave that you have to power to do those things and all unimagined, unspecified things that you really intend to do. I vote _for_ those things to happen. I vote _for_ your abuse. Thank you." Nobody ever says "Wow, not half the people voted and not half the people who voted voted my name and not half the people who voted my name voted _for_ me rather than against somebody else. So at best I've got the support of about one in ten people. My ideas aren't very popular."

Reply to
gruhn

Individual action doesn't count a hill of beans when the individuals are so easy to lead around by the nose. The "democratic party" is an oxymoron and they know it and they use it. All the architecture students won't shut up about green and social justice because... they've been told to. They think they are being individuals. They think they are individually acting. They are carrying out the wishes of somebody else. With mindless dedication.

Reply to
gruhn

gruhn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

You even quoted "when it is additive". So obviously one person against

10,000 can't do a whole heck of a lot.

It's one thing to arrive at a preferrnce throguh careful examination, but most people do, indeed, play "follow the leader", even when that leader is a donkey (a.k.a. ass). It's easier and faster than reading, litening, and taking time to think, and the vast majority of people prefer quick'n'easy. It gives them more time to do teh equivalent of hanging around in the mall all day fretting over who looks the "coolest" (with mockery of the "nerdiest" being the unthinking displacement of personal insecurity over possibly not being "cool enough").

OTOH, the "republican party" is certainly no better.

Hmmm, strychnine or radioactive thallium, whichever shall it be...?

Reply to
Kris Krieger

You can write in a protest vote, putting the words protest vote" as the name of who you are voting for "

Reply to
++

To what end?

Reply to
gruhn

to protest the slate

Reply to
++

Sounds useless.

Reply to
gruhn

Every write in ballot gets archived and published

Reply to
++

Interesting. Hadn't known. Still figure it doesn't serve any actual use. HUGE numbers might actually make somebody feel they had to comment. "blah blah by writing in for foo you are actually voting for me. thank you. blah blah." ;-)

Reply to
gruhn

Latest issue of U.S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT is on Dubai:

aesthete8