Re: cool

"Don"

Cool, though I found, only half as: http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisweek/story/0,12977,946531,00.html
Also, that's a lot of money to spend on a commercial... Do consumers ultimately pay for it in higher car prices I wonder?

Does it sell more cars thus increasing economies of scale?
"gruhn"

I thought about that, and since you mentioned it, just did a cursory google. Here's one from http://www.freewarehof.org/tv.html : "In advertising, the law of diminishing returns means that after sufficient saturation, each further dollar spent is less effective than the last. Automakers exempt themselves from the penalty of the law by adding enough profit in every new car to cover every last advertiser. No matter how small the return, they get the benefit. The car buyer pays the bill. Since the last price break was way back down the line, there are no manufacturing economies of scale at this level so the buyer only loses. Precise figures are proprietary to the auto manufacturers and not released, but informed estimates are that 1/2 the sticker cost of new cars is the budget for merchandising and advertising. One-half. Perhaps worse, it inflates the used car market because used car prices move in step with new car prices. Auto merchandising sends a massive inflationary ripple through the economy because cars and trucks are universal. Every other business buys them at those bloated prices and passes the cost to us. Vehicles are only one of the industries up to its neck in this, though they are probably the most inflationary. Thanks to adding every imaginable cost to the sticker price, GM, Ford, and Chrysler are respectively number 3, 4, and 5 in total revenues on Fortune's current list of the world's 500 wealthiest corporations. Automakers know a thing or two about making money, as anyone who has even bought a replacement part knows. As Andy Rooney pointed out on 60 Minutes, if you totally wreck a $20,000 car and want to rebuild it, the parts bill alone will be $125,000"

Wonder how much of that is insurance. Happened to airplanes, I understand.
"gruhn"

I wonder exactly what it's composed of I suppose we could always call Honda and ask.

I'm afraid I've no time to look today, but the url has the feel of potential for knee-jerk anti-corporation distortions as did some of the rhetoric you pasted. That is, I'm not sure I trust it fully.

Don't waste your time.....it was a bunch of B.S.

"P.Fritz"

You make a strong case. At any rate, and in context to much of what we purchase, bullshit's more useful, if that's what you mean by "B.S.".

Exactly. The world is chock full of rhetoric.
"Don"

I wonder how income has kept pace. ...Haagen Dahz ice cream has yet to double in price from its 1993 total of $3.75 per 500 millilitre container, however, it's getting close. I've resorted to making my own, which, if commercially sold might find a tidy sum. :)
"gruhn"

Here's another: http://www.transdiffusion.org/emc/third/cost/

Corporate welfare.
How many employees is the ideal number? Beyond which number a business becomes evil. How do I calculate fair profit for goods offered? Services rendered? Would it be best to have government determination and oversight of these numbers? How many government employees is the ideal number?
"gruhn"

Valid and important questions perhaps, much of which depend, too, on the kinds of systems we are inferring or presupposing, which can, of course, change or blur the meanings of such concepts as 'profit', 'evil', 'government', 'ideal' or 'employee/boss'. Some systems make it very difficult to implement any fruits that may come from similar questions and discourses, and their contstructs can be less accountable on some levels. And before we can even contemplate some questions, issues and changes, others are required.
The answer to your first, second and last question is 42.

I like it :) I think it'd be interesting to get some card stock and try to make some of them.
I think I need a life... <LOL!>
- Kris