Re: Chinese drywall again.

Page 2 of 4

Warm Worm> wrote:

Easy? Possibly. Its that old balance thing again, money vs effort. I toyed with the idea, then did the research, then moved on. I have neither the money, nor the herculean effort, to vest in such a thing right now. I came upon a website where they made the wind generator completely out of salvageable materials and the effort was huge. If I recall correctly the heart of the thing was based on a set of worn out disc brake rotors from an junked Volvo. I think the thing was energized when they put the two rotors together creating a hellacious electromagnet that smashed one guys fingers bad.
Personally, I think gravity and air pressure (14psi at sea level) is all thats needed to do everything, no matter what.

Yes I changed it back to what it was supposed to be before Google Groups decided otherwise. I guess they fixed it.

I think our subthread began with Quonset huts "versus" natural- building houses and your apparent contention about the extra amount of labour involved and mine about looking at that in context with a broader picture. I presume you mean prefab cookie-cutter Quonset hut tracts dotting the landscape like a blight? That's not empowerment, either; it's a corporate/supplier suckup. You've just removed yet more freedoms in exchange for convenience; A fugly hut. ;)
I'm fine with stuff like the backhoe if they work within the broader picture. To use a metaphor; it's no use "efficiently" blocking a huge leak in a sinking ship if, in doing so, you inadvertently allow a whole bunch of little leaks to spring up. Your books might balance (god knows why they should), but the ship will continue to sink, and possibly faster, especially if your pride in your efficient leak- blockage gives you a blind-spot over the new leaks.

I wonder how many tricks the backhoe can do and how it compares to a one-trick pony.

Like hell it does. Anyway, here's this: "The year 2001 witnessed a series of financial information frauds involving... well-known corporations. These problems highlighted the need to review the effectiveness of accounting standards, auditing regulations and corporate governance principles. In some cases, management manipulated the figures shown in financial reports to indicate a better economic performance. In others, tax and regulatory incentives encouraged over-leveraging of companies and decisions to bear extraordinary and unjustified risk." -- Wikipedia

Maybe as close as we can get to the best of all worlds? Not as in, utopia, but we're not even close in any case. We aren't trying hard enough. 40-hour workweeks say nothing of efficiency, if that's the right expression.

Maybe our kids are already sold, wage slavery and all that. Anyway, more seriously yet, all the best with the proto-mill. I like them. Referring to my previous new-thread post; If they explode, it might mean there's more wind to use and/or they need to be "overengineered". ;)

hoo.ca> wrote:

I've been to that link a few times already. :)

Seriously, I might be looking for this kind of practical experience. Don't tease me. ;)

.ca> wrote:

Unsure yet, but what do you have in mind? (i.e., co-ownership of the project)

t.on.ca> wrote:

Fair enough. Compensation? And would you be able/willing to travel?

I want to do that too. I might be your "customer" until I can sort mine out, as I'm a fan of vodka. We could do different kinds for exchanges and "rum-runs". ;)

Of your still? Or the straw-bale post-and-beam-timber-frame home (PABTF)?
Unsure what's required for a still, but for the home, based on what I think I know so far, maybe level stone or concrete sill "platforms" or "pedestals" (two or so per bent, with soil left alone in between?) and a stone or concrete foundation perimeter. The bare inside floor could perhaps be a good hardwood or bamboo planks, or plywood. An earthen floor should be possible at ground level (unsure if it makes sense to have it upstairs). I seem to recall reading somewhere that "in-floor"-style or radiant heating is better placed in the walls rather than the floors... although I know that water lines are no good within straw bales due to the potential extra problems should they leak there.
Today, I read a little more about girts, bents, purlins, summers, various PABTF joints, as well as light straw clay walls (ostensibly a kind of rammed-earth-style way to do walls using clay slip [watery clay] lightly tossed with straw as the ingredients rammed into the forms) Very nice when they remove the form and you see the relatively smooth solid wall and its straw texture. That should also work indoors as far as I can tell and look good with "whitewall" plaster finish.

Come spring I'll be starting 2 brand new large scale projects, at least large as far as I'm concerned. I'm gutting the kitchen in our house, and I'm going to start my *off grid* sustainable, modular dwelling. I think I have all the bugs worked out on paper finally and the only way to continue is by actually putting it in use. Its a little larger than the 12'x16' I originally spoke with you about so the newest rendition will be 16'x16' not including the external porches. I had to do quite a bit of soul searching and *putting myself in the picture* to get a grasp on this new kind of lifestyle. Make no mistake, living off grid in a *tiny home* IS a lifestyle choice all the way around. A choice I would guess a majority of people today would be unwilling to take on. But I march to a different drum and always have and I'm the one swinging the hammers. Ba-Doomph! My budget is open but I'm pretty certain I can make this happen for less than $5k. The hope is that this project will be successful and complete by next fall, then I will start to set up a manufacturing facility to construct them in kit form that can be delivered by 2 flatbed trucks anywhere in the US. The trick in all of this is many fold, 1st, to make the thing successful, 2nd, to make the thing modular so that it can be easily transported and assembled and 3rd, to make it affordable. On paper I have accomplished all 3. This has been a 3 year research and design project so far and I can't wait to get physical with it. I've already started to assemble some of the mechanics of the thing.

Compromise is not inherently a bad word. Balance and evaluation are more in line with what I am talking about. For example, in a 16'x16' tiny home why would anyone want a standard 30" wide range when it uses valuable space and will most likely not be fully used? We have a 4 burner glasstop and have never used all 4 burners at the same time, nor have we ever required the full cavity of the oven. In our current house we will continue to keep our full size range for resale purposes but in the tiny house I am going to construct there will be a 2 burner hotplate and a toaster oven (and a microwave), both of which can be stored when not in use. The list of *compromises* goes on and on and thats why I said it takes a careful introspective to see how to design a tiny house efficiently. Have you seen a shower that relies on the weight of the water to provide the pressure? They make 5 gallon camping showers that work under the same principle. Now boost that water weight to 250 gallons and put it on the 2nd floor (inside the roof) and you start to get some decent pressure, plus your water storage is not outside susceptible to the elements or nefarious entities. It starts by understanding how the occupants intend to use the space. In a tiny house living doesn't have to mean just surviving though a web search indicates just that. Lots of people have designed tiny houses but none have yet designed one that is long term liveable. After numerous test runs I'm pretty much convinced 16'x16' is the minimal size that one or two people can live in and be totally off the grid.

Primarily solar, but as a side interest I believe the weight of the structure itself against gaia may produce some interesting benefits. Also, back in the early 80's I did some patent drawings for an old gent that came up with a conceptual way to extrapolate the benefits of variances in air pressures spread out over vast areas, say 5 acres. It intrigued me then and now might be a good time for me to revisit that concept. I believe there are a lot of natural ways out there involving physics and climate for example that can be exploited.
I've always been amazed that one of the most amazing inventions in all of history the personal computer is based on something so simple as the most plentiful product on the earth, sand.
Everything we could ever need or want is already here but it is up to us to make it what we need or want.
FWIW I've found ways to increase the output from off the shelf photovoltaic panels so that they will put out 400% more juice than they are rated for. I'm going to reverse engineer a hotplate and make it require less juice. Something else in my line of sight is the inefficiency of deep cell batteries. Yes, I've been busy but plan to get busier. LOL

Boosting the output of a photovoltaic is easy, place a large fresnel over top of it and surround it with mirrors. However, that creates heat and heat is the killer so it must be avoided or compensated somehow. I have a plan for compensation. 1/8" copper tubing wound in amongst the solar cells to act as a radiator to keep the cells cool and simultaneously provide me with hot water.
Then theres the idea of mounting strips of solar cells on an angle to each other, sort of like a venetian blind, and using prisms to *bounce* the sunlight off of surrounding mirrors and through fresnels to the surfaces of the cells. Again, heat build up is a concern but easily remedied as I explained above. I believe it is possible to get over 1000 watts out of the same footprint that a standard 200 watt panel produces today, a 500% increase in power, simply by designing and building it differently AND getting beaucoup hot water for free. All of these things have already been done, separately (pool heaters) but I want to put them all together in a unified format.
Why can't the top of a deep cell battery have a removeable cover with a proper compression seal so that the owner can monitor and replace the plates as he sees fit? Currently, when one plate wears, the negative pole, the whole battery must be replaced and they ain't cheap. Further, the electron passage in batteries is pretty much willy nilly, they go wherever they want to, why can't *guide rails* be installed, corridors if you will, so the electrons can go directly to their destinations? I believe batteries have a lot of improving to do in their future as they are and have been very inefficient.
There are no questions, only answers.

BTW, why would anyone want to cool kitty litter boxes?
Peltier = cold on one side, hot on the other side. Why not make house walls that way, then reverse them when the seasons change?

One of my ex-girlfriends and I used to eat in the bedroom all the time while we watched tv (she liked the Antiques Roadshow and Charlie Rose). In fact, I recall eating in the kitchen only once. We had a pretty big apartment (long) with many rooms we rarely used: Your 20x20 seems too big. ;)

Makes sense and I'm inclined to agree. But again, how would you expect this project to pan out in terms of your involvement? Would it be cash, barter, volunteer in exchange for room and board/or whatever, no charge/strings, or some kind of shared ownership or access to the final product? Would you have me suggest/ offer/negotiate something and see if you like it?

"Vodka is made from a fermented substance of either grain, rye, wheat, potatoes, or sugar beet molasses." "...its popularity, elsewhere, derives from its neutral spirit usefulness in cocktails and mixed drinks, such as the bloody Mary, the screwdriver, the White Russian, the vodka tonic, and the vodka martini." - Wikipedia

"The full-scale, 14-by-14-foot straw house, complete with gravel foundation and clay plaster walls, the way she builds them in Pakistan, was subjected to 200 percent more acceleration/shaking than was recorded at the 1994 Northridge, Calif. earthquake, the largest measured ground acceleration in the world. After a series of seven increasingly forceful tests, in the final powerful test the house shook and swayed violently, cracked at the seams and sent out a small cloud of dust and straw and remained standing." -- http://www.strawbale.com/aaa-rating-for-straw-bale-walls-in-earthquakes
As a rule, I've never been crazy about stucco, but natural plasters look like exceptions. And if they do crack, they should be a breeze to fix.

House centipedes rule. ;)

Investment in what sense? There are a multitude of ways of going about this-- some perhaps exciting-- but at any rate, yes, I do need an actual ball if we want to get it rolling. So ok, it's up to me to let you know how/if it goes. Ever heard of, thought about, or done home-exchanges, BTW?

Good ideas. Upon arrival, I found a small and surprisingly-cute mouse (with a white belly I think) in my building's hallway this evening and managed to have it catch its breath in a corner long enough to catch it by its tail and let it out. Poor thing must have been terrified. As I was trying to trap it (still wearing my rollerblades), it was trying to vertically scurry up doors and walls.

Especially when they're in your monitor. Having a bug get in my monitor under the layer in front of the pixel-display and somehow get stuck there and die would drive me up the wall, like the mouse. ;)
Bug list in my Ottawa apt so far: - 1 house centipede (tried to catch it but it got away-- no biggie, since it's a predator of bugs that bug me) - a few spiders (no problem-- free to roam-- one jumping spider is in the washroom surveying the lamp) - an assassin bug juvenile (coated with housedust-- killed it as I didn't know what it was at the time-- another predator to my surprise) - 1 firebrat-- found in the toilet bowl. Slipped in; did my job for me. Flush.
Warm Worm> wrote:

There is an old shed down on the far end of our property that has misc stuff in it left by the 3 sets of previous owners of our house and some storage boxes we put in it. The shed was very poorly constructed, in fact anyone that knows which end of the hammer to hold onto would marvel at how this thing was put together. Talk about a Rube! Anyway, when I fling the doors open there is a flurry of activity as hundreds of woods mice go flying ever which direction. I let em alone. They serve a purpose in the bigger picture. Besides, they swing a pointy stick. When I was 9 I was at a cub scout meeting in one of the old WWII barracks at the Carlisle War College (yes, that place) and I caught a mouse and I took it out on the front porch. This was winter, at night time. I stood there in the cold illuminance 18th century cast iron wall sconce conversions petting the thing and it decided to sink a tooth in one of my delicate phlanges. OUCH! I threw the little devil in the snow and went inside. The scout master panicked, called my dad who laid rubber, took me to the hospital and all of this was a mystery as to why it was going on. After the smoke settled and we were back home my dad laid it on the line. We couldn't find the mouse and there is no way to know if it had rabies so you have to get 14 shots in the belly, 1 everyday for 14 days in a row at Dr Thompsons office. Say what? So there it was. My dad told me if I get rabies it will make me go insane so I have to get the shots. There ought to be a law about lying to little kids. LOL The 1st shot, no problem, the 2nd shot, problem. I got sick, instantly. Shots 3-14, no problem. End of story.
Almost.
My first published online writing back in 1994 at a now defunct site called the Tiki Hut was titled, "Big and Small" and it was a short story based on this very principle, that even small entities can be very dangerous.
Warm Worm> wrote:

I actually saw a human being do that with dog shit one time at a park in FL. So I stood right there and openly marveled at that spectacle. Look at how people have allowed themselves to be contorted.
I went to the restroom in walmart to wash my hands and while doing so a fatass came in and propped himself up on one of the thrones and commenced to blatting and fizzing knowing full well I was standing a few feet away.
What does it say about a person that will expose himself in such an intimate hygenic moment in a public facility? That sort of thing should obviously be taken care of before you leave the house and most definitely before you take your daily shower.
But then, just about all of society is shitty now so it is probably me that is out of sync and the above scenarios are considered normal.

It's the law in most urban parks up here. I seem to recall mentioning that on here some time ago and wanting to do some kind of photography that layers/superimposes them picking it up with their dog crapping a few seconds before so that it looks like they're picking it up while the dog is still crapping. If done well, (and my Photoshop skills are pretty good ;) it might look like the dog's crapping on the owner and/or that the owner's really getting in there-- down and dirty-like. It wouldn't take much; just an unsuspecting victim, a full dog, my still camera on its tripod and a couple of before and after shots.

Well what was he supposed to do? Wait until you left while his colon progressively filled up yet some more?

Nature doesn't always make convenient calls. You could have just left briefly. I've always liked the hotels that have toilet stalls whose walls (and ideally doors) reach the floor so that there's some sonic and olfactory privacy. My blame goes to Walmart-- was just in there today. FU Walmart.

It's a money thing that Walmart's a near-epic bowel movement of.
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote:

We did a home exchange 3 years ago. We exchanged our home for 1/3 of a mil fiat dollars. :-)

Very funny. ;)
Seriously, though, it's competition for hotels and even hostels. I think it started in the 50's and thanks to the net, it's still going strong.

True. The way things are going, Russia might bite off chunks of me. They already have in terms of my website. I'll admit to a growing fetish for its women/people, language-phonetics and free electronica. But the problem is it's too Canada, climate-wise... But perhaps I could run an import business on the side and have a best-of scenario. I wish I could pause the clock of time. Make my own deal with God, as Kate Bush sang.

As much of my own labour as possible. It would be cool if I could get you to work in some capacity for free.

Why not?

Maybe not as far as the last bit, but the mouse as domesticated pet did cross my mind after the fact, and it's indeed quite possible that I threw a pet mouse out.