Re: CFL

On 24 Jul 2007, Don wrote

When I saw the subject of this post, I wondered why you'd started watching Canadian football...

Reply to
HVS

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

What you describe is what I've seen. I've been using CFLs for many eyars.

The life of the bulb i salso influenced by th efixture - if thewiring isn't quite right, it can shorten the bulb life. Also, for lamps that turn on using a pull chain or rotating knob, turning them on an doff with an even, smooth motion also helps the bulb to last longer, because the flow of electricity is smoother. Anything that causes flickering (intermittant electrical flow) can shorten the bulb life.

But I've had bulbs last for much longer than 5 years.

You can also get outdoor-rated CFLs - I have a 150-Watt-Equivalent in the garage here, but in Massachusetts,it was difficult to get one to last in the garage ebcause of the lack of insulation - the bulbs evidently just go too cold.

LEDs *might* have a better cold tolerance - that seems logical since they have no element, but I don't know for a fact whetehr that is true, whetehr there are LED replacements/analogues for "regulatr" bulbs, or for that matter, how bright they can be made - I'd have to check.

Reply to
Kris Krieger