Re: Blu-ray

Don't do it.

> In 5 years it'll be gone, and you'll be left holding the bag, again. > >

IBM showed a proof of concept, that's all. Anything else you want to warn us about, maybe about the sky falling, Chicken Little? :)~

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news:ee00b1df-9121-4fe9-9f9d- snipped-for-privacy@q10g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how to *make* MP3-s, never mind stroe 'em. Trying at this point to get my chords (one pewr measure) to flow one into the other as opposed to sounding like a drumbeat - tried volumne tweaks and so on, to no avail.

Meanwhile, I don't even own an iPod...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

There are ear buds, and then there are ear buds. You have obviously listened to only the crappy ones that come with an iPod. The higher end ones are unbelievable and more comfortable. When I received my iPod the first accessory I bought was some of the little plastic and rubber adapters, for lack of a better word, that slip over the end of the iPod ear buds. The rubber grommets come in three different sizes so you'll get a good fit and there's a huge difference in sound quality. That's the cheap way to better sound.

RicodJour

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

I've also noticed that they make my tinnitus louder (it's already constant). Earphones aren't as bad as earbuds, but best for me is regular ol' speakers.

I mainly use them when tweaking compositions, so I don't drive otehr people in the house insane listening to the same 5 measures over and over... ;)

So, I jus thave a pair of Maxell digital ones - they're good (for me) for what I use them for ;) But I'm not an audiophile, so I don't know much at all about headphones.

Now that could be interesting.

*40*? Wow. If I ever need to get new ones, I know who to ask for advice
Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

That's the kicker, th eprice. I looked at a BR system. Good grief. Literally thousands of dollars. MEanwhile, I've not even decided yet whether it's worthwhile to get an HD teevee. Min advantage is that the falt scree plasm things are light and easy to move, also smaller than ou rurrent behemoth - still using the 200 lb SOny from 1997 - but the picture is still great, so...

((Ha, still have a curved-screen Magnavox from about 1981 - pic on it is still good as well, tho' it doesn't hook into much of anything any more.))

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

THe system I looked at was the whole thing - TV, speakers, blueray thingies, stand, etc. $5K.

SO, we're there, like, Hmmm, spend $5K on a souped-up teevee, or put $5k into growth investments... Not much of a choice there

The cable does offer HD programming, tho' most is stuff I don't really

*want* to see in HD...

That's one of the things I don't particularly like, that shiny plastic. What's with that - why not *matte* black? The shiny stuff also struck me as distractingly reflective; I also just do not like the look of it. I'd want to put some sort of frame around it...

After a point, it's lost on me - even with my glasses, the astigmatism isn't 100% corrected, so part of any purchase decision would be to not pay for more technology than I can actually sense, so to speak, rather than only looking at the numbers.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

I'm finally looking at electronic music composition/production stuff again after roughly 15 years. For my laptop and portability, it's looking like a keyboard controller and some kind of USB "audio interface" from many new and unfamiliar companies, like E-MU, Echo, RME, M-Audio, Presonus and Apogee.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Warm Worm wrote in news:furknc$uk$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Well, things have changed a lot...

E-Mu has been a biggie for a few years, that much I know - but not much else. Basically, I got a Sound Blaster Audigy 4, but I don't use the "interface box thingy" - I think it's supposed to let you plug in all your "entertainment system" stuff into the audio card, but I don't have an "entertainment system", so I just use the sound card (I can plug my old Yamaha elecvtric piano into it, but haven't bothered yet...)

SO, to be honest, I don't even really know what "controllers" means...I use a really old (as in, ca 1991...) bit of notation software, and recently got Cakewalk Sonar 6 XL and am just beginning to figure out how to use it. But I don't have a "recording studio" or anything remotely like one, jsu the sound card. SO, although I'd like to be able to give you some info, I can't offer very much at all :(

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Hey guys;

Just go to

you will be able to make or rip MP3's and other extensions. You can easily make CD's with .cda extensions to burn to a CD. He can do it all.

Have fun...

CID...

Reply to
Chuck News

"Chuck News" wrote in news:Wb2dnRVCScHUuYnVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I got Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 6 XL, and it's supposed to do all of that, most esp. in combination with Roxio Easy CD. My problem is with the MIDI commands and/or patches, but this isn't a Music NG so I'll skip the details...

As for converting MP3 to CDs, you can do that merely by opening the MP3 files in Windows Media Player and following the instructions. Main problem si that doing it that way also seems to lose all fo the author/etc. info, so you have to be sure to write it down and then label your CD. Also, I've not seen that a CD can be written to durther once the session ends. But, the files *will* play on a CD player.

HTH...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Thanks, but why go backwards? ;) I'm trying to remain libre/free/opensource and Nero looks proprietary. I rarely use my CD/DVD writer/player anymore, and USB keys are bootable and everything else is downloadable.

Reply to
Warm Worm