Re: Alternative Energy

Over in alt.planning.urban there have been discussion about better gas

> mileage, alternative energy, etc, etc. where the bicyclists basically > thing everyone else uses way too much energy. > > Meanwhile, Don over in alt.architecture has been wanting to go off the > grid for quite a while. > > I have found the solution. It's one of those things that Don will > mortgage his house for, the bikers will sell their bikes to protest, > George will say it's impossible, and Amy will object to it on general > principals (so basically it's the perfect n.g. topic). So without > further ado, here it is: > > ================= > >

> ================= > > Toshiba Builds 100x Smaller Micro Nuclear Reactor > Toshiba has developed a new class of micro size Nuclear Reactors that > is designed to power individual apartment buildings or city blocks. > The new reactor, which is only 20 feet by 6 feet, could change > everything for small remote communities, small businesses or even a > group of neighbors who are fed up with the power companies and want > more control over their energy needs. > > The 200 kilowatt Toshiba designed reactor is engineered to be fail- > safe and totally automatic and will not overheat. Unlike traditional > nuclear reactors the new micro reactor uses no control rods to > initiate the reaction. The new revolutionary technology uses > reservoirs of liquid lithium-6, an isotope that is effective at > absorbing neutrons. The Lithium-6 reservoirs are connected to a > vertical tube that fits into the reactor core. The whole whole process > is self sustaining and can last for up to 40 years, producing > electricity for only 5 cents per kilowatt hour, about half the cost of > grid energy. > > Toshiba expects to install the first reactor in Japan in 2008 and to > begin marketing the new system in Europe and America in 2009 > > ========================== > > Merry Christmas to all.

That reactor will make many people nervous. Imagine a drunk party weekend with a reactor in the basement.

Reply to
George Conklin

I think these are pebble bed reactors, but not sure. Pebble bed reactor can run so hot that they will disassociate water into hydrogen and oxygen just from the heat alone.

Supposedly Canada is interested in these reactors for putting in the basement of apartment buildings.

Reply to
Jack May

In other words, driving aroudn with one of those things is not a good idea. Why would I want to drive with a big propane tank in my car? :)

(Especially around here, where we are part of the Southern California car culture where many people don't care how many accidents they cause, as long as THEY get to THEIR destination on time.)

Reply to
Steve Sobol

What? So I can run my car on water if I power it with one of these reactors?

That'd be neat.

Reply to
Steve Sobol

Private company appears as a bit of an oxymoron. There's no such thing as a "private company". Everything's public insofar as you can't do anything without an effect that goes beyond your so-called private sphere.

First post from the West Coast, BTW... I missed a window seat, but got an aisle, for my feet.

Like personal nukes?

The two aren't mutually-exclusive anyway, so why talk as though they are? Oh ya, that's right; you're that black-and-white dude.

;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

That, or thousands of drunken folks with at least one of them at their fingertips. ;) ...If that doesn't help to move people out of cities in a hurry and out nearer to the ruralites (inside joke). ;D

Reply to
Warm Worm

Let's throw caution to the wind and deny all the 'apparently obvious' that we can. ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

It's easy to lie when you're drunk. In fact, many lie about being drunk, so you potentially have more than one lie.

That and "private" property owners perhaps.

Government coinage no doubt...

Some consider some forms of private property to be theft, and I'm tempted to agree in some cases.

"I never made a nickel from another man's sweat"

--from the film, Eureka.

Supposedly he just bought up more land than he needed from the wealth of the land.

AFAI'm aware, you still have yet to reconcile the Pareto Effect.

Reply to
Warm Worm

First, there are varying degrees of observance with the Amish. Most choose to shun technology completely, but not all. I grew up in Cleveland, within an hour's drive of big Amish enclaves in Ohio's Geauga and Holmes counties. My father sells flooring installation supplies and tools, and some of his regular customers are Amish. Some he makes deliveries to exclusively, while others drive to his store.

Plus, we're talking teenagers. Amish teenagers can be just as rebellious as teenagers in other ethnic groups!

Reply to
Steve Sobol