Re: A school jail combined.

I received this email,

> ---------------------------------------- > Take a look at this new school, it has bars all over the outside, just > like a jail! > >
---------------------------------------- > What would it feel like to be inside looking out? > Are Offtario students being 'aclimatized' to their future? > What's the purpose? > Ken

The smart ones quit the public school system as soon as they turn 16 and get a GED and get on with their lives rather than wasting away til graduation day.

Reply to
creative1986

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:92eaa48e-573e-4441- snipped-for-privacy@w19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Maybe that facade faces the football field?

Any pidgeons in Toronto? If so, they are going to love that stuff :-)

Reply to
Martin Clark

Insufficient information for a meaningful response, but that picture is showing only one aspect of the school, probably the lobby atrium, and such slats are typically used to screen the sun's rays so the heat gain is appropriate for the building in that location/climate and at the right time of the year. In other words, a good thing. The school is going for LEED Platinum, so the thing is damned efficient.

Please take off the poop-colored glasses once in a while, and you might see a pretty rose, instead of a poop-colored dead one.

RicodJour

Is that what you did?

RicodJour

There was something similar in the news about a year or so ago about some guy who climbed a high-rise building that had similar sun screen slats, in I think NYC. It does look damned inviting to climb, doesn't it?

RicodJour

I'll wager no, and that he's (yet again) just echoing a concept without reflecting on (contextualizing to) his own case.

Reply to
Warm Worm

"Pidge-a-nou? Pidge-a-do."...

I might sometimes say that like that when I'm regarding pigeons as they walk around bobbing their heads in some of the worst places downtown.

Go ahead, try it next time you see some. If you're with someone, nudge them to get their attention and then point to the pigeons and say;

"Pidge-a-noo? Pidge-a-do."...

Reply to
Warm Worm

1-

Pidge-a-noo? Pidge-a-do...

Reply to
Warm Worm

I wish I had. I'll suggest you take off the rose colored glasses and see the shit for what it is. And no, those slats weren't just on the atrium. Besides, wtf is an atrium doing in a school anyway? If you'd been looking at new schools for the past, oh, at least 20 years or more, you'd have noticed a trend in making them look as much like prisons as possible, afterall, thats what they are.

It was an evening in 1988 when we sat in the brand new Mariner High School and the administrator told the audience that the magenta velour stage curtain only cost $40k.

I'm just a little burned out over the deliberate mass retardedness over all this public school silliness.

Reply to
creative1986

They don't put windows in schools anymore, remember? Windows are distractions and serve no purpose. The last time I saw slats on a school was on Sugarloaf Elementary that I designed for down in the Keys. The slats were mechanically controlled by a velocity meter and when the wind got up to 130mph the slats opened and allowed it to pass through the upper portion of the buildings.

Reply to
creative1986

Right, we live and (hopefully) learn. I did 13+2 in that nightmare then did 4 more and yet it was not til another 15 years passed that I started to figure it out. What a waste. I knew what to do at age 11 and had the skills to do it, only lacking the required paperwork, and history proves it. My parents believed in doing things the traditional way and had no idea there were variables. But like I said, I learned and I didn't make the mistake with our son that my parents did. At 31 he is better off than I am 25 years his senior. How's that for reflection?

I'll remind you that the best way to win an argument is to only argue about things you are an expert on. Jumping on the tail end and and slinging loose words around shows your expertise.

Reply to
creative1986

One problem with a lot of expert chest-puffing is when mother nature comes along with a pin.

Reply to
Warm Worm