Questions about producing an Architectural/ Design Portfolio and Resume

It's pretty much anarchy (ha!) in newsgroups, the only rules you need to follow are rules of etiquette and even those are just if you don't feel like being an asshole today.

FYI (and I am not calling you an asshole, and since you're new) top posting is considered bad etiquette as it messes up the general natural reading of posts. Better to post after the stuff so we can see what your responding to. Used to be that people would snip messages when they got too long, but that was mostly because of bandwidth, so it's not much of a big deal, scrolling wheels took care of that :). The rest can be had in the FAQ which I hope someone will kindly post, as it is always good for a laugh. I've been enjoying the discussion here because I considering finding a new place to work too. This place I am at now just consistently sets itself up for failure, and I don't want to be here when it all goes down.

Reply to
Edgar

Hi Edgar,

And thank you for the heads up.

Can you please tell me what top posting is? I jsut write a response right after reading a post or hit reply to a post. Is this not correct?

Reply to
Artist

It's ok if you are basically making one coherent statement that is not necessarily referential to what follows.

Yes

I dislike having to scroll through long threaded mostly empty posting just to arrive at....a one liner. I tend to killfile those who feel like subjecting me to too much scrolling. It only takes a minute to trim posts and is polite.

Hmm, there are numerous netmanners faqs and the USENET itself has one.

In terms of the PDF suggestion by "Artist", for example, the Usenet FAQ says that no files except plain text should go on the Usenet except in designated binary netgroups.

Reply to
++

I don't really mind it as much anymore, but of course it is nice to trim, as long as you keep the context of what has been said.

I was referring more along the lines to the alt.architecture FAQ, which I assume you ahve not read yet.

Reply to
Edgar

#9 - It's not really about "who gets to design." It's about the idea that they're job is based on 1) we need them and 2) they provide the service we're paying them for. If, for whatever reason, we don't need them anymore, we're going to let them go. We can't afford to pay people to be here because "they need a job." They get to earn a job. Great if it's here, great if it's someplace else, too.

Reply to
3D Peruna

"Artist" wrote in news:uoLmi.324689$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

GNU is a sort-of consortium of people who create what is called "open source" programming. What that means is that none of it is copyrighted

- you are free to doenload the programs, use tham, and even modify them if you want to and know how.

The main link is:

I use a Jurassic version of Dreamweaver (commercialware) because, although I do my own HTML, I like to see some sort of visual representation of what I'm doing. Also, I can check the results immediately in IE with the press of a key. Thre are programs (Dreamweaver being one of them) that will cerate HTML for you, but they still tend to produce really ugly code - kludgy and overly-complex and long. So it's best to try to learn, understand, and do as much as you can yourself, rather than relying on automated generators.

There are also various sources for info on JavaScript, and for downloading templates (such as, image galleries, text effects, animation effects, and so on). THe advantage of JavaScript is that, unlike Flash, you don't force people to download a plug-in (with its endless stream of updates...) ALso, like everything else, JavaScript is always being updates, and if you throw in the latest whiz-bag functions, again, you'll lose visitors whose browswers can't handle the latest version.

And remember that having the latest bang-up widgets tends to reduce the size of your potential visitor pool, because a lot of people use older versions of browsers. My own statistics from my previous site showed that something like 92% of my visitors used IE 5 and higher, so that's what I use a smy guide. One can go through all sorts of agita trying to make allowances for all sorts of browsers, but they seem to be converging, so I allow myself to be lazy with this...

IOW, it's a balance between accessability, and still wanting to put out an entertaining site.

Re; web hosts, that's always a dicey question. Try CNET.com for some possibilities:

I decided to go with Earthlink simply because they've been around forever and are fairly stable. But check into some hosting plans yourself to see what meets your current and projected needs.

HTH!

- K.

Reply to
Kris Krieger