Questions about producing an Architectural/ Design Portfolio and Resume

Page 2 of 3
Don:
I am approved to have a special accommodations for the ARE by NCARB and approved to start taking the exams through the state of NJ... it will not be to long now... Last hurtle. I have completed the IDP .
Thanks for your help and advice. Sincerely, Artist.

Don-
In a nut shell everyone with this disability is affected differently and at different levels. In general it affects my left brain skills of reading, mathematics, and writing skills. Short term memory of structural formulas is hard and I need to look up the formulas to make sure I am using the right one. I have been through years of therapy and direction for improving and gaining skills to correct my accuracy and expediency. Reading comprehension maybe be slower as in I may need to read something over a few times to get the full clear meaning, such as, reading building codes. With the assistance of a computer and the internet I can compensate quite well.
Dyslexia is also a visual gift let say. I have tremendous visual skills, organizational skills, analytical skills... it's a trade off.
This is a brief synopsis.
Thanks for asking.
Artist

Don-
I designed the parameters, required span, shape of the truss but did not engineer the truss. A truss manufacturer did and you have corrected me.
It was a very unusual situation. But I guess you will pick that part as well.
I as for advice and get picked apart.
Thanks but no thanks. Artist.

Fine.
I can have my opinion based on what I see and hear and have experienced in the office. Always exceptions.

Don thank you... Excellent Reply and quite right...
I can do the portfolio and a DVD or Cd-Rom... right protected but the Website will cost me a lot since I'm quite a novice at building one...
Thanks again... I will print out this reply as inspiration.

Oh God. There'll be no living with Don now. I can hear his head swelling from here! ;)
Web site building is easy. Most web hosts have templates that you can use that get you up and running in no time. It's literally as easy as typing in the information (or cutting and pasting from whatever application (or wherever you stole the stuff)) and selecting which pictures to upload from your computer.
You've already mentioned all of the stuff that you need to do to present yourself and your work. Gimmicks are bad, but you should have one anyway. I used to take slides of my work (well before digital became ubiquitous) around in a little briefcase that I made from a computer punch card (well before direct keyboard entry became ubiquitous). It was the exact size to hold six or eight slides and had little handles and everything. One of my strengths in those days was model building and the little gimmick drove the point home immediately.
Now of course you can't make a little briefcase out of a computer punch card, but maybe you could wear a Valkyrie's helmet and carry a sword. That would work particularly well if you're tall and blonde and not afraid to use the sword.
Good luck in the hunt.
I am tall and blond...
Very funny comment. Artist

Me too. Except for the tall and blond part.
BTW, you're blonde. Men are blond, you're blonde. Blond is so...bland.
R- Thank you for your input. The website doesn't sound so difficult I will check the templates. After finding a web hosting site. I really like the DVD idea and maybe there is a way to create a "slide show effect" and print it DVD. I think on this newsgroup or another a few weeks back someone mentioned a slide show program... oh yah it was a photographic newsgroup. I will look into this solution as well. Everyone uses their laptop to view work so leaving behind a DVD will give the prospective employers an opportunity to discuss my work or abilities. But only use the gimmick if I understand you correctly if it enhances my presentation of my skills.
You comments almost make me feel like getting ready for the interview or getting my foot in the door has not changed all that much. Through the years Architect had to present the visual anyway we know how... It's a lot of work to pull this together and hopefully the Computer/ digital aspect will only help and not delay the process for getting in the office for the interview... frankly when you're looking for work it means you need a job... and I jsut didn't want all the "new" technical avenues delay me for obtaining the job. It sounds as if this ahs been the same old problem present a visual field thought the years.
Thanks again for your thought fun comments and advice. Artist

Hi Artist, Something to consider is picking up some of those biz card sized CDRs, you can put your 'website' or CV on them. I have some I picked up at office supply store for about a buck a piece. Ron too bad you won't be licenced in BC (Canada) I could use a "seal" and broader prospective in collaboration...
Ron-
Are they a real business card? Really cool idea I will check them out for networking.

They can be labelled, picture a small disk with two edges cropped, these are what I have : http://www.merangue.com/Page.asp?PageID 08&ContentID68&SiteNodeID9 Ron

RicodJour wrote:

Yet more support against plonking. ;P

A website doesn't have to be expensive. You can get a decent-sized site for $10-$20 a month. Making a site isn't too difficult...
There are also DVD authroing programs - prob some open-source (GNU) as well as shareware.
Hi Kris,
I'm sorry but I don't understand what (GNU) means? I will look in shareware.. I have used this source before.
Can you suggest a webhost to use?
Thank you for your input. Artist.

Artist wrote:

If you like libre/free software (not to be confused with "freeware"), you'll feel like a kid in a candy shop at the world's largest free software repository: http://www.sourceforge.net
GNU is: http://www.gnu.org [see also: http://www.fsf.org and http://www.opensource.org ] (as you might have noticed, the pictured gnu is very philosophic-looking ;)

With the market the way it is around here, one eye, one ear, no English or North American experience will still get you a job in the field. It doesn't sound like you'll need to do much to get a job, unless you have to work for someone famous. In that case I'd recommend two years' supply of a good personal lubricant, and a good set of kneepads.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

My first job in Architecture was at TAC under Gropius, which was pure luck. Working with the famous is not all it is cracked up to be, although Grope was one of the best of the famous. Two years later a small split-off from TAC offered me a job and I have never worked for any firm larger than 25 people since. I have been on my own for the past 7 years which is the best way once you have that AR.
Detail orientated drafters are few and far between as too many schools teach students to be "form-givers" I was a detailing freak and NEVER had to look for work after the first few years. They came to me and hired me away. Frankly I use only ACAD 2004 light and Sketchup, and have had no problems coordinating with any architects or engineers. EDS