Q. about morter "holes/pits"

Hi,

I've been noticing hairline cracks and various small "pits/holes" in the moreter used for my house's brick. THew house is less than 1 yr old. I was told that "it's nothing, a normal occurrance as the morter dries and shrinks", but I'm concerned about water making its way in and eventually causing a problem. I did get Tyvek wrap, and it was all intact before the brick went uop (yup, *of course* I inispected the house almost weekly as it was being constructed). So, my questions are (1) is this normal (2) should I do anything about it (because ti is cause for concern)

Thanks in Advance :) !

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

For more information, look at the BIA (Brick Industry Association) web site. The Tech Notes are usually very helpful. Brick and mortar are not water proof. A lot of water makes its way at the surface where mortar and brick meet. Brick will take in and hold water which may be released into the cavity as vapor. There should be weep holes or wicks and flashing at the base of the wall and at window sills and door sills to direct water to the outside. T

Reply to
AAllc.architects

Post a link to some pictures, Kris.

RicodJour

" snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Belated THanks - I didn't realize there as such asn association (tho' I guess itmakes sense, since everything seems to have an asosciation ). THat's useful, thanks again :)

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

SOrry this reply and Thanks is so belated.

THe spaces are too small, for the most part, to get anything into - literally hairlines. THe Kimball Hill Warrnaty people told me I can just smudge morter into the holes with my finger. Is that better than COncrete and Morter Caulk...?

TIA again -

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I would but cannot get access to my website, I need to cancel it and set up a different web host - annoying health issues are just currently taking predominance right now =:-p

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Yeah, the pool takes muriatic acid every so often - nasty stuff. I make sure to remember my Chemistry classes when using it! I did a little bit of the filling and it wasn't overly messy, so long as I didn't get big globs on my fingers. THe hard part will be the second story - teh whole front is brick. Guess I have to break down and get an extension ladder - I shoudl sell tickets when I use ti the first time

Anyhoo, so it seems that hairline cracks/separations are pretty normal just becuase of the differences between materials (brick and morter).

It seems to me that there should be some sort of additive that would reduce the amount of contraction that the morter experiences...I have to check out mroe of that Amer. Brisk Assoc. website.

So, I'm assuming that the "morter caulk", then, is somthing I ought to avoid.

- K.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

Why not rent one?

I'd like to find a step-type ladder that I could also use indoors (goldang

2-story entryways - and of course, when enjoying th elight the comes in through the 2-story family room's upper windows, I forgot to think about how the heck Iwas going to hang any drapes - or, for that matter, change the bulbd in that goldang ceiling fan...duuuh!)

It'd be useful (well, IMO at least...) if there was a 14' or 16' step-type ladder that had extensible front legs - then it could be used against walls, or leaned up against the house exterior, or used as an interior stepladder. Still looking.

I figure I'll end up paying about $350 for it in any event, because I want to make sure it can hodl enough weight

Reply to
Kris Krieger