problem tree

Since someone else mentioned about not letting a drainage issue at their house get out of hand on another thread, it brought to mind an issue at my house I need to get something done about. I haven't had the opportunity to delve into this too deeply yet, but thought I'd throw this out and see if anyone has dealt with a similar issue (hopefully this doesn't fall into the FAQ) ;-)

I have this gorgeous cedar tree in a courtyard next to my house. The house was built in 1952, so I'm assuming the tree's age is in the 50 year range. When I bought the house this tree was about 3 inches from the edge of the roof. I had it pruned back a year and a half ago to see if I could get it to start growing away from the house, this hasn't worked. The tree is now touching the house and starting to make the shingles start to bend. I REALLY don't want to cut it down. It's an awesome tree and gives nice shade over the courtyard. I've heard talk of using cables to try and redirect its growth, but not sure if that works well or not. The tree has a bend to it so it looks like it maybe at it's closest point and eventually start to pull away from the house, but that could be wishful thinking on my part. Anyone had to deal with a situation like this? I think cutting it down is a last resort, but that may have to occur. If it's between the tree and the house, the tree will lose everytime. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Cato

Could you cut an area out of the roof edge to accomodate the tree? Court yard + cedar sounds magnificent. Pthotos? TB

Reply to
tbasc

Would crown lifting or reduction be an option??

I think you need to give a few $ to a local Arboriculturist

You probably already know that removing the tree will result in the ground heaving

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim