Pretty nifty pictures of a 13 story Chinese building that sat down

Page 2 of 3
Seρior Popcorn-Coconut> wrote:

They took off today, 40 years ago. I remember it cause it was my parents anniversary. I was 14. How were the soviets involved?
Add pictures here
βœ–

My point was that when people make achievements (or disasters, as the case may be), they do so in a sense on behalf of the rest of humanity. Humanity ultimately takes a certain credit for your corkscrew elevator. :)
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't go for all that altruistic stuff. Whats mine is mine and what isn't, isn't. I don't take credit or responsibility for things I had nothing to do with. Have you noticed the role euphamasia plays today?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I wasn't talking at all about altruism, but even so, what about that volunteer work you were apparently going to do?

So the corkscrew elevator will just be yours and no one will benefit from it ever?

As a fellow human, it would seem that you do whether you like it or not.

I might have mentioned it on here in different words. Maybe it's a bit like sugar-coating one's accomplishments, or one's lifestyle, when it's not enough to just be. 7000 projects... I have a hard time doing maybe 3 a year. :) As I finished writing this in the cafe I'm at, a young male just whizzed by in a lime-green Lambourghini. Can you rent these things, or if bought, would it be better to just throw your money away? Be altruistic?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I would say 'representation', rather than credit or responsibility, in the sense that if, say, an alien landed and you were the first (maybe only) 'human' they spoke with.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Nope. I don't play that.

How many TV shows have you watched in the last 30 years? Everybody does lots of things, TV has just never been much of a priority for me, so I do other stuff, projects for example, for money. The people that find this difficult to comprehend haven't accomplished much in their life because they haven't applied theirself.

I'd have to have a whole lotta money in order to have a countach, and I really like em. But, there's about 20 vehicles I'd prefer over them. The countach is somewhat *single function* vehicle but I like to multitask. Might get me a jeep.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I qualified that in my previous post with 'represent'. We all represent each other whether we like it or not. It's the idea where someone digs up your bones aeons later. Your skull would represent a human's. :)

30? A fair bit; 7 years, however, very little, since I got rid of my tv and only catch it on someone else's.

That's fine. I comprehend it, but I also comprehend that some people also like to exaggerate. Kind of like euphemasia I guess. And there are some who internalize the exaggerations of others and think they have to do the same.

The point is (also) what you do with your money and even how it is earned, such as if it is actual work? A "Countach" is, in a sense, less than useless, but then you might already have an idea of how I feel in general about cars. :) It wasn't always that way, though, but you grow and maybe notice some deceptions and lies.
Add pictures here
βœ–

"The state is not the root of the "eeevil", it's the symptom."
The root of the problem is laziness and dishonesty, both a product of two of the basest human emotions/motivations: fear and greed. To state it another way: humanity involves, most simply, the conscious and principled discipline and control of fear and greed, which one has no choice but to experience as a higher biological organism.
A good way to think about how the non-human homo sapiens respond to fear and greed is that they seek to hoard profits and spread losses. The chief motivation is laziness and chief tool to satisfy all is dishonesty. The interesting thing about dishonesty -- self, other directed, and institutionalized -- is that the better one is at it (the more dishonest) the less detectable and more powerful it is.
What's interesting about laziness is how hard people work at not producing tradeable values. Consider a bum on the exit ramp day in, day out. I've seen some of them work their asses off at begging in the hot, cold, and rainy for years on end. How much easier it would be to work at a job.
It's the labor theory of value. The lazy look to a world where raw physical activity, disconnected from any other requirements, is of paramount value.
To look at it in its plainest form, there are those advocating that some fears are just too great not to force others to pay for general anesthesia, and the argument turns on which anesthesia and in what dosage is most "efficient" and "useful." Hey, maybe we can "privatize" the production and delivery of it, which still doesn't address the root laziness, dishonesty, individual responsibility or accountability.
Then there are those, "the nouveaux ancaps," who rightfully understand that you can't hold consistently to individualist principle and advocate any degree of state coercion, but have failed to understand that the state is an effect of a deeper problem (as outlined above). They think that you have to win friends and influence people by trying to explain that life would be so much better without the state.
But you can't truly understand anarchism until you accept that it doesn't matter what society "would be like" without the state. It's not the issue. The issue is that nobody has any right to chain me to their fears or satisfy their greed at my involuntary expense and anyone who thinks otherwise, even just a little tiny bit can just go fuck right off and there's simply no kind way to put that.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I kind of agree with you, but might take exception to laziness depending on your definition of it. I think a little bit of work is required for survival, happiness and health, but nowhere near the arbitrary 40-hour work-week. It just seems like one of the many wools pulled over people's eyes. It is an embarrassment and a humiliation.
"You're living in a dream world, Neo."
"The Matrix is the world pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth."
"What truth?"
"That you are a slave, Neo."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N50NRQB99Sw&feature=related

Perhaps we're both trying to articulate our own brand of trying to wake up from Plato's Cave... and we can't... struggling forever with the chains of paradox and contradiction where our only freedom will be in our eventual deaths.
"Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?" --The Matrix
Take this kiss upon the brow! And, in parting from you now, Thus much let me avow- You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.
I stand amid the roar Of a surf-tormented shore, And I hold within my hand Grains of the golden sand- How few! yet how they creep Through my fingers to the deep, While I weep- while I weep! O God! can I not grasp Them with a tighter clasp? O God! can I not save One from the pitiless wave? Is all that we see or seem But a dream within a dream?
-- E.A. Poe, "A Dream Within A Dream"
Add pictures here
βœ–

Likewise.
Nothing like a little BC bud before posting, ay? A little Green for those thoughtful moments? Something the Greens would love legalized? Something to enjoy while we putz around in our govermonk-funded 5- star?
I was listening to a song while reading one of your posts awhile back, and it hit me how well it went with it. Like a theme song or something. I'll upload it when I get the chance. It's "You, The Night, and The Music", by 'Tones On Tail'.
You couldn't make this stuff up.

It's also what high-school career counsellors call it. When you're born, you have arrived in your niche. You don't have to find it, it's already there. If some fuck it up, then ya, you have to "find your niche" until your original one can be restored. At least that's how the idea goes.

Page not found.

I saw something in Your Tube recently-- a home-made wind-turbine to generate electricity that seems deceptively simple.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The keyword is deceptive. I looked into it, simple it ain't, unless you call machining 1968 Volvo brake rotors to within 10,000th of an inch simple. Don't lose count when you're doing those windings, and don't wind one backwards or you'll end up owing rather than earning......
Add pictures here
βœ–

Like vodka? Or do you distill your own? I'd like to try that. As for rain water, you can't seem to win there either, as there might be some crud in that too, but I agree, it might be better if they're still dumping flouride in. If I drink water, it's usually distilled or in the forms of milk and juice.

It was not offered as fatalistic, but rather as a comment on how we are not jobs, that we are people, our own persons... A shepherd is still a job. ;)
"What do you want to be when you grow up?" "Huh? ... I'm me... I don't want to 'be' anything but myself... I'm learning who I am, what I enjoy, and about the world... What are these contrived niches you speak of, these compartmentalizations?" ;)
When you turn living into a job or "OCD", I wonder if and how much of actual living is leftover. Maybe if it was 20 hours a week or less, that would be different. I think it's coming, (unless vested interests and what Don talks about with regard to greed, etc., blocks it): Steady-State Economics.

I got 'Lillooet' and some other place and so was unsure that was the right link... Ok, so that's near your place.

Good to hear. Do you swim?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Seρior Popcorn-Coconut> wrote:

For me the fun is in the doing, especially if its something I never did before and ultimately the cards are stacked against me, heavily. I pixel and per think it to death for awhile then I have to get at it, swingin hammers, carrying boards long distance over rough terrain, over and over again. I counted em, there 1324 3" deck screws in the deck I just built and everyone of them screws have pre-drilled holes so the wood won't split down the road. Everyone of them deckboards has a 3-1/4" gun nail at each joist to hold it in place and not warp before I put the screws in. Every joist has a hanger at each end with (8) 16d nails in it, all done by hand. Every deck board had at least 1" cut off each end cause I wanted only new wood butting up to new wood.
I actually started thinking and drawing on this project 3 years ago when we first moved in - the length of time my wife has been harping on me to build her a garden shed which I have drawn at least half a dozen times now. She'll prolly get her shed later this year and it will have a small carport on the side for my riding mower.
BTW Richard, most of what I know regarding construction was learned along the way and on my own - learning from my mistakes. Several people came by and offered to help but I refused all of it, preferring to lug my 16' long, 80 pound 2x8 PT ledger boards myself.
How does one person install a 16' ledger board? I had to figure it out and this is what I came up with. First, I chalked a line on the wall then measured down 3.5" and chalked another line. Then I gun nailed some scraps of 2x4 on the lower line to act as supports to hold the ledger board while I gun nailed it about every 2' to the wall. Then I came back and drilled the holes and impact wrenched the 1/2" x 6" lag bolts/washers every 26" o/c staggered. (you stagger them so they won't split the wood)
Add pictures here
βœ–

There was a foundation?
Add pictures here
βœ–
It is written that they are pilings, but they look hollow to me. Are pilings supposed to be hollow, or are those for something else?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Depends on the piling. http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3127905
Note that the hollow piling in the article tested out better than the solid concrete pile. I do not think the hollow pile would prove superior in earthquake and "building falling over" modes.
βœ–

There was an interesting discussion and maybe some enlightening "hair- splitting" on here not too long ago about the concept of over- engineering.
Speaking of which, those piles (or piers) look more hair-like than conical.
Here's another lovely 20x20 I caught lately the dimension of which made me think of yours: http://www.oskaarchitects.com/Projects/38/Delta-Shelter It's appropriate for this thread, too, given it's on "piers" and in a flood plain... And I'll bet it stays standing during the worst of the floods.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thats 20'x 20' x 3 = 1200 sf.
I've looked at hundreds of *tiny houses* on the web and all of them suffer from the same catastrophic ailment. None of the so called designers seem able to put themselves in the picture, in other words, *live the design*, in their collective heads. They simply scale down a big home and think they have accomplished something. They haven't.
It starts with a lifestyle choice/change and radiates out from that perspective. Example: In a tiny house there is no need for a full size range/oven but there they are right there in the designated kitchen anyway. I've designed a series of *tiny homes* that I have *lived* in, and I've consulted Ken via email many times to bounce ideas off of and get his feedback as he is living the lifestyle change I mentioned.
Frankly, when it comes right down to it, while many trendy people are attracted to the *tiny home* concept, in the end hardly no one is willing to change their life in the ways necessary to handle that sort of thing. Sure, they might deal with it for a weekend getaway/retreat sort of thing, but in the long haul none of them could deal with it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

They call it 1000 SF on that web page, and it looks like 2 (20x20)+(10x20), so that would agree. Lacking a floor plan (I didn't delve very deep), and seeing what appears to be a somewhat open plan with a two story space with stair, I would tend to think that the 1000 SF was on the high side. Maybe they're including the decks?
I like it though.
βœ–

So that's what you'd charge me for ay? ;)

I might agree with some of your points in principle but I've never knowingly been in what I might consider a good architect/designer- designed small house before. Mind you, I don't recall ever being in a well-designed big house either. Sad really. While some of them do look like large homes merely scaled down (and those are the ones I may be less interested in anyway), it is difficult for me to imagine living in a space just from pix on the web.
Just for fun, I happen to have a small list of online pix of small/ (maybe some medium) homes, so what I can do is create a new thread and post them and maybe we could discuss what we might like, dislike, would change, etc..

I'm not even an architect or architectural technician, but even I figured that out: In my own older design-sketch I posted, I just have a 2-burner deal: http://www.sfu.ca/~rmacinty/architecturenapkinsketch.htm
So, unless there are to be big ongoing parties in the yards, or the owner's a cookbook writer, or some other lifestyle necessity, I'm generally inclined to agree, although not all of them have the full size range and not all small houses are created equal or what some would consider small. Some designs I've seen use a ship's galley as inspiration.
I've easily/happily baked pizzas and choc chip cookies, etc., in a toaster oven, even when I've had the larger ovens to do so, but that's just me.

Good stuff. The bouncing of ideas is what it's all about. If Ken (Wifey too?) is going over I wish you a good time. Send us a post.

In the big picture, at the end of the day, they might have to, but sure, some changes require necessity.
Add pictures here
βœ–