Pretty nifty pictures of a 13 story Chinese building that sat down

e:

I've yet to see an action film where they're chasing some guy on rollerblades. (Maybe they've done one?) Otherwise, I should write to the Bond producers before the next film. A well-done rollerblade escalator (etc.-- i.e. in around and over traffic; inside through shopping mall) escape stunt scene might be memorable. I've gone down an escalator in them, but just as a normal passenger standing on one step all the way, rather than spread-eagled along the smooth sides, although the thought did cross my mind... It may be possible. I recently had a security guard tell me I couldn't enter a mall with them on, so I went into the store I wanted from their outside-access door, only to find the guard on his way in from the mall entrance and towards me. I promptly backed up back outside and headed off. One day when I'm in the right mood, I'll set one up to actually chase me clear through a mall, a la

his exercise. As a footnote, that store recently closed at that particular location! (Well if you're going to chase away all your customers!)

als and anyone can construct a shelter. I'm living proof of it.

Sure, but a permanent and pleasant shelter-- ideally to some kind of "code"-- is what I'm talking about.

Reply to
Señior Popcor

Let's play a game. You list what you think is a superior tool, and I'll either counter your argument or offer up another tool that natives used that was superior to what "whiteman" developed. Deal?

RicodJour

ote:

The lifelong allure of an interior stairway wore off in about 15 minutes for me. Now, I come down in the morning (the master bedroom is on the 2nd floor) and don't go back up til its time to go horizontal, with rare exceptions. You should put a railing all around the edge of your roof and turn it into a deck, or as I called it on the island homes I designed, a "Sky Deck". Course, you'll need a lapyre stair to access it. The 2nd floor deck I built 2 summers ago is about 18' off the ground at the rear of the house and we sit out there frequently in the evenings and sip some cheapassed wine and chat.

Reply to
creative1986

Of what, the lamp I'm rebuilding? Or the bowl? The maple bowl is still on the lathe with its 3rd coat of poly drying. (This morning I glued and clamped a maple/mahogany/maple shallow bowl blank (about 7.5" dia x 2.25" high) and hopefully I'll lathe it tomorrow.) When the poly dries I lightly sand it with some 12,000 grit micromesh to even it out then hit it with another coat - for 3 coats total. Looks like a diamond when I'm done. Guess what? Last night someone emailed my wife and told her they wanted to buy FIVE of my bowls!!! Can you believe that? Watch your mailbox, it will have directions on how to view some of my more recent creations.

Reply to
creative1986

You're reaching into an area that has been very seldom broached in public. There is no ideal home and I know this for a fact now. In 2002 I designed and built my ideal home but once I started living in it I realized it wasn't ideal. Not just one thing was wrong with it but many, and of course at that stage of the game it was too late to fix them. My wife said I am never satisfied and she's right. You could design your dream home and build it but you too will change, like I did, and your dreamhome will not be that anymore. It might take you longer than it did for me but it will happen. For me it happened kinda fast cause by the time my house was ready to move in I had already become educated, by designing homes for other people in the interim - and learning about things, that my home seemed somewhat outdated and inefficent - I had quite naturally, changed. sigh

An ideal home can only exist in the mind of the beholder for a brief period of time and as the world turns so do the ideas and thoughts in a persons mind and they will long for something more adaptable to what they want, now, not yesterday.

Reply to
creative1986

Yes, its been done, several times. Maybe not on rollerblades but...... I recall seeing, but don't remember the name, of at least one flick where a dood on wheels, skates or blades, dunno which, snagged an old ladies purse and took off and somebody like Dirty Harry ran him down. I think this idea was done on Baywatch too.

You'll be much happier if you rely on proven professionals for guidance rather than gov't drones.

My 1st building project I did here in hoosierville was done to (florida) code and the gov't inspectors claimed it was the strongest building in the county. My next 2 building projects were also done to (florida) code and there were no inspectors involved - I learn quick. Its nobodys business but my own what I decide to build.

Reply to
creative1986

For me the fun is in the doing, especially if its something I never did before and ultimately the cards are stacked against me, heavily. I pixel and per think it to death for awhile then I have to get at it, swingin hammers, carrying boards long distance over rough terrain, over and over again. I counted em, there 1324 3" deck screws in the deck I just built and everyone of them screws have pre-drilled holes so the wood won't split down the road. Everyone of them deckboards has a 3-1/4" gun nail at each joist to hold it in place and not warp before I put the screws in. Every joist has a hanger at each end with (8) 16d nails in it, all done by hand. Every deck board had at least 1" cut off each end cause I wanted only new wood butting up to new wood.

I actually started thinking and drawing on this project 3 years ago when we first moved in - the length of time my wife has been harping on me to build her a garden shed which I have drawn at least half a dozen times now. She'll prolly get her shed later this year and it will have a small carport on the side for my riding mower.

BTW Richard, most of what I know regarding construction was learned along the way and on my own - learning from my mistakes. Several people came by and offered to help but I refused all of it, preferring to lug my 16' long, 80 pound 2x8 PT ledger boards myself.

How does one person install a 16' ledger board? I had to figure it out and this is what I came up with. First, I chalked a line on the wall then measured down 3.5" and chalked another line. Then I gun nailed some scraps of 2x4 on the lower line to act as supports to hold the ledger board while I gun nailed it about every 2' to the wall. Then I came back and drilled the holes and impact wrenched the 1/2" x

6" lag bolts/washers every 26" o/c staggered. (you stagger them so they won't split the wood)
Reply to
creative1986

Roy Underhill's bent tree limb wood lathe. LOL

Reply to
creative1986

Smith & Wesson. :-p

Reply to
creative1986

Here's the ACAD file (saved using 2010):

file has some leftover layer cruft from some online imports.)

I've considered moving the stairs to one side and might still, and also might prefer the idea of an independed apartment upstairs with an outside access stairway without an interior stairs at all.

Depends on a few things. As it stands now, I have an idea for a kind of bed built-in under the stairs on the living room side, with maybe a

3-feet-wide closet under the stairs on the kitchen side. each square of the grid is a foot, so it's quite a small house. The posts are supposed to be on the interior and mostly viewable, with about 6" of space between the perimeter interior walls and the posts.

I'm on another network that's shutting down so I'll get back to this later.

Reply to
Señior Popcor

:

Said: Drawing file not valid. Wouldn't open. Tried in 2004 and 2006. Our house has a 4' wide stairway right in the middle going from front to back and I Don't like it. The house is 28' wide so minus wall thickness and the stairs themselves leaves 11'-4" of actual room width on either side and thats too narrow for a master bedroom and a living room. Our living room in on the right side so it measures 11'-4" wide x 27'-4" deep and our master measures 11'-4" wide and 17' deep. I like the idea of the symmetry of a center stair but the width of the building must be commensurate. Our crib should be 30' or 32' wide to make the rooms more comfortable. I believe this house was built from a set of online stock plans - there's lots of clues.

Reply to
creative1986

Acquired this way I presume:

"Due to laws and policies that encouraged and sometimes required Aboriginals to assimilate into a eurocentric society; Canada is alleged to be in violation of the United Nations Genocide Convention that Canada signed in 1949 and passed through parliament in 1952.[9] This coupled with the residential school system that forcibly removed Aboriginal children from their homes and placed in Christian run schools has led some scholars to believe that Canada can be tried in international court for genocide. Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued an apology on behalf of the Canadian government and its citizens for the residential school system."

-- Wikipedia

Canada, land and an Oky 20x20.

"The Okanagan language, known to its speakers as Syilx'tsn, is the traditional language of the Okanagan people of the Southern Interior region of the Canadian province of British Columbia and North Central Washington State. It is a member of the Interior Salish group of Salishan languages. Okanagan is reported to contain the rare uvular flap."

--

Looks like they got yours and you got theirs.

Reply to
Señior Popcor

te:

:

This was saved as a 2004 version:

There's some floor plan, but also some 3D. The washing machine is ground level.

So it's a new house? The center stairs on my design looked like a nice idea at the start, but I might move it over the couch and just have an open plan kitchen/ living room with a built in bed or something under the stairs. In fact, that should be better to fix the upstairs apartment-loft mess. It used to be a saltbox roof, but now it's a shed because I might be able to stick a tiny third floor loft in, maybe with a balcony.

Reply to
Señior Popcor

:

rote:

te:

e:

d in a

No, it was 7 years old when we moved in 3 years ago. I don't know what to say about the shingles that were installed but already they need to be replaced. Twice a year, when I clean the gutters, I scoop out at least a gallon of the agregate that was washed off of them. Now they're hard and brittle and lacking.

Do this: Draw a stick figure of yourself standing up, then place it in various locations throughout the space to analyze how big everything is. The thing is 16' wide and has a stair going up the middle leaving about 6' of space on either side. How important is it to have a fulltime set of stairs in such a small space? If it were me I'd label the plan so that the 2nd floor was simply storage or attic space and leave the stairs off, then after the CO was issued I'd build a method to access the 2nd floor, ladder, lapyre or my legendary *screw elevator*.

**Imagine a large vertical bolt in the floor, maybe 4" in dia, that spins slowly while a single stair tread raises and lowers on the shaft while you stand on it. The other end of the stair tread fits into a vertical rail mounted to the wall to keep it from rotating with the shaft. Or, the old counterbalance weight on a rope and pulley. As far as plumbing on the 2nd floor, on the permit drawing drawings show stubouts for future bathroom and leave it at that, same with the electrical. You have to find ways to get around the ever expanding range of gov't obstacles on your way to achieving your goal.
Reply to
creative1986

:

rote:

ote:

and in a

Potatohead or whatever is fine, I was just having some fun.

I'm inclined to agree with TCO about the stairs/upstairs/washroom, and think his corkscrew elevator is cool. I'll have to look up 'stubouts' and how I would then show the upstairs for the CO. Lots to learn.

It has definitely been hard to get an idea of the spacial proportions, even as a 3D, without actually having some kind of immersive system that puts you more in the model. That's partly why I've added the furniture, but the stick-figs are a good idea and I'd downloaded some free 3D human models to add for that until I got sidetracked with problems with my Linux/Windows partitions last winter.

What upper floor? You mean a later add-on, and like those old European houses, where the upstairs is bigger and overhangs?

A couple with guest and/or rental-space. I think I mentioned that the design, while of a different shape, seems to be about the same ground floor square footage as yours. Perhaps there's something about that size that might be "ideal" if there's such a thing, or conforms to some kind of intuitve/subconscious sense of human scale. Given its narrow size, btw, I felt that some (if not too much) ceiling height was important. Cathedral heights all over can sometimes, and ironically, make an otherwise small space feel a bit claustrophobic. It is expected that the ground floor is to have lots of windows and maybe a rolling barn-type windowed doors on one or even both sides.

Reply to
Señior Popcor

Yes but it's also cool. You want to be careful about your thingy-bingy going nude up one. That's what an ex called it-- thingy-bingy. Gay if you ask me. Imagine one shaped like a corkscrew. Now That, would be a thingy-bingy.

I Googled corkscrew elevator and recall only finding its existence in a videogame.

So what else is new? He should be careful where he points that.

Fun to watch and laugh out loud at, though, while pointing towards you two. Try a couch next time and videotape it for You Tube.

Spiral staircases don't really seem to save all that much room either, because built-unders seem difficult to do right. On the second floor, if it's kind of an open "cathedral" plan you could always use a winch/ hoist for big and heavy stuff.

That's the idea. Good show ol' boy.

Good idea/height, even if for shorter occupants, but we can't keep getting taller and taller as a species forever can we?

Reply to
Señior Popcor

You seem to have an odd definition for the word "tool". Since you've decided to play loosely with the definition, I will, too.

Corn. Every person in the country, yours, too, eats corn every day. How many people you know ride a horse every day? Have a horse? Have _seen_ a horse this month (excluding on TV)?

Your win is a loss, I'm afraid. Next!

RicodJour

Still not a tool, but I'll allow you your delusion this one more time.

Around the time of Benjamin Franklin, a treaty with a tribe of Indians was nearing its 100th anniversary. The Indians, as you well know, did not know how to read and write (at least according to what is commonly accepted by the whiteman to be reading and writing) - the Indians passed down the treaty orally, from father to son. When they compared the Indians oral treaty to the "superior" whiteman's nifty written treaty, they found they were virtually identical. There had been no loss in one hundred years of a spoken document. Interesting, no?

Now what does this mean? Well, for one thing it means that a crutch took away our legs. Could you imagine how much better you would have done in school, and how much faster you would have completed your edjamicazion, if you had a eidetic memory? If _everyone_ had an eidetic memory? You wouldn't need an address book, you wouldn't need a date book, you wouldn't need a _bookmark_.

So how does cutting off someone's legs and sticking them in a car improve them? Hmmm?

Seems you're down 2-0. Next!

RicodJour

Well, the lathe was around thousands of years before Roy, but that is an excellent example of old knowledge that is still perfectly usable.

Unfortunately, at least for your argument, Egyptians are a mixed race and there's Nubian and Arab in with the mix, so I'm afraid that we can't give the nod on this one to the "whiteman".

Thanks.

RicodJour

Atlatl, or bow and arrow. I would think that you'd understand the importance of this one. When push comes to shove, you'll run out of gunpowder long before you'll run out of wood.

RicodJour