Ping: WW

Hey woim (that's from the Our Gang comedies). Would you please post some of your favorite container architecture/building/blog links? The more specific with construction details and outfitting the better. Thanks.

RicodJour

Rico, if you do a Google Images for...

"shipping container" architecture

...you'll find a lot of stuff with links, and some details, depending on what kind you're looking for-- certainly far more than what was available in 2003/2004 when I first got interested.

BTW, what is your interest and would you like to somehow collaborate on a design?

In any event, what I'll try to do is start with getting a container model from Google 3D Warehouse into ACAD, and taking it from there. It may be a little slow-going for 3 basic reasons, namely:

- I am running ACAD in Virtualbox

- 3D Warehouse models are often unsatisfactory, and often need to be seriously edited, if not discarded.

- I have somewhat of a life outside of shipping container architecture ;)

If you insist, you can add 'learning Sketchup/Sketchy Physics' as the fourth point. :)

Reply to
Warm Worm

This one seems nice and from the outside, looks less like a container, unlike some other designs, which I appreciate:

Also, although I didn't have time to investigate it, it looks half- buried!

Reply to
Warm Worm

Interesting. Amagansett is about an hour and forty minutes from here. Really nice area. It's known primarily for having water on both sides - the Atlantic and the bay, but having a full basement means that container studio must be on higher ground.

RicodJour

I've looked a bit, but I haven't seen anything that's knocked my socks off. It does give you some ideas though. If nothing else, a lot of them gives a good idea of what _doesn't_ work.

Sure, why not?

I find that last one rather difficult to believe. :)~

I stopped using ACAD a while ago, and don't miss it a bit. It's a kludgy, user-unfriendly POS, as far as I'm concerned. It's a holdover from the IBM days and brown suits and shoes. It's just about the worst thing I could imagine for brain-storming and sketching out some ideas. SketchUp is far, far better for that stuff.

RicodJour

Agreed. We may have a similar sense of aesthetics.

'Somewhat of a life' and 'outside of shipping container architecture' isn't necessarily saying much. ;)

I just downloaded the non-pro version this evening, so I might find some time to give it a trial run before the week winds down.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Video tutorials are probably the best way to get started. This guy wrote the SU for Dummies book and it's a pretty quick way into it:

the official YouTube channel:
When you start out it's important to understand that things glue together automatically, even when they are hidden, so it's important to make groups out of things right from the start to prevent any unwanted gluing.

Other than that, you'll be up and running in an hour. It's not ACAD, so don't try to make it ACAD. Play to its strengths and you'll enjoy it.

RicodJour

Thanks, I'll look at them. I downloaded, installed and briefly ran SU (interesting, and hey is that a person in there?), and download a couple of dud shipping container models. I'll go back for another look later.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I'll keep you posted.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I just ran across this on a Spanish web site:

Lots of good information in there!

RicodJour

This might also interest you: First Earth [videorecording (DVD)] : uncompromising ecological architecture / a film by David Sheen. Explores earthen buildings; how they could re-shape our world, homes and lives to be healthier. In the age of massive economic collapse and emergencies, maybe what we need is to get back to the earth.

RicodJour

Thanks, but I've already seen all the chapters. :) I think I mentioned one of them on here some time ago. It's a good documentary if recalled.

Incidentally, I found a DWG file shipping container that looks quite good in ACAD at first glance, so I'll probably take a look at it this weekend. Thanks for the other links, which I'll keep in mind in case this container misses the mark.

Reply to
Warm Worm