Patio Cover Question (Ledger Board Placement)

Hello
First time posting. I need to install a patio cover, however the eves of my roof are too low to give me the height I require at the end (14 ft) of the patio cover. What are my options?
I DO NOT want to attach anything to the fascia board. In all actuality, I would like to cut back the roof to make it flush with the wall. If I do this, I have only roof-angled rafters and the parallel-to-the-slab support rafters exposed.This gives me a 1.5" area to lag into. If I user a 2X8 ledger board, the bottom part will overlap the rim board, but only at the bottom portion of the ledger.
Question One: Is it common practice and more importantly, to code, to lag a ledger board into the 1.5" end of a support rafter? Question Two:. Can I use 8" steel elbow brackets to bolt into the side of the parallel rafters and then, bolt the ledger board into those?
Now if I can do option two, I could space several lags into the rim supports (which would be 2" at the bottom of the ledger board) for added support.
Thank you for your advice, Branden