Parking Lot/garage layout

My town is fumbling around with a proposed parking garage at the train station. I sat in at the meeting last night at the school auditorium and I really wish I had brought a rubber chicken to smack nearly everybody that came up to the microphone to speak. It goes without saying that the people sitting behind the desk on the stage needed a plastic pullet pulverizing as well.

This is not my area at all, but I feel I have to straighten some of this mess out, or at least show there are alternatives. I know there are some parking layout software products out there, but I ain't buying nothin'! I'm only going to use it once.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in locating such freeware or open source software? I know we have a resident open source-ophile and a developer on board, so I have high hopes you guys can come through on this for me.

None of this TIA stuff - you provide the goods, and I'll provide effusive thanks after! ;)

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news:5aef8d3b-0b55-44f5-a4c6- snipped-for-privacy@b1g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

Seen a couple of these "parking layout software products" - hmmm - I prefer doing it the old way: (1) a plan of the available space, (2) juggle space module, (3) control lines for aisle minima, (4) check for exclusions from construction and other constraints, eg end-aisle turning, columns, service points, fire-fighting, disability bays etc. A parking space under the Australian Standard is 2.7m wide 5.4m long, 6m aisleways. This has been applied locally in half the city, the other half has 5.5m spaces. Funny thing is - maybe its my age and the length of the ol' workhorse - I cope better with that extra 0.1m. [feet = m x 3.281] Regards

Reply to
Martin Clark