Is starter board used for esthetics?

Or is it a structural item as well.

Reply to
Christian Alvarez

Ok I guess this is my real question: Open eaves are a fire hazard right....so is starter board on roof eaves used for fire resistance? And if so...what about the rafter tails? Wouldn't those be vurnable to fire. So I'm thinking the need for starter board is for fire resistance. I'm probably wrong but oh well, can someone enlighten me.

Reply to
Christian Alvarez