New photos of our house

Hello, everyone! I've added a few posts to my blog in case anyone is interested in checking out the latest photos of our house that is under construction (and nearing completion).

Choosing a Hot Water Heater and Water Softener

Preparing For Drywall Finishing With Red Paper
Cutting Holes In Drywall For In-Ceiling Speakers
Cutting In And Other Painting Fun
Italianate Cottage: A New Old House In Charlmette, Louisiana
...that last one is the first entry in our blog for another "new old house" besides ours. If you guys know anyone else who would like to submit photos and a story for their "new old house" let me know. It's kind of fun to learn about other people's "new old houses."

- John

Reply to
Sasquatch

Please post some pictures of the paint drying.

Reply to
nomail

Softener

Paper

Speakers

Fun

Louisiana

They used CPVC for the gas line to the water heater. IIRC, CPVC is not rated for gas, and I'm pretty sure the valve is not. You really want to check on that before you have a gas leak etc.. Normally black iron pipe or yellow flex is used.

Also, the picture isn't that good to see detail but the galvanized piece that comes out of the right side up toward the top, that should be a T/P relief valve, is it?

If not that's as dangerous as the wrong gas line material. There is supposed to be a water line from the T/P valve (I don't see one, just the galvanized pipe with something black on the end?) with plumbing down toward the floor or to the outside so that hot water can exit the tank to relieve pressure/temperature build up in case of emergency where the water is heated too hot or the pressure exceeds the limit. Otherwise the water heater tank explodes.

You need to check both for code compilance and proper material and a T/ P valve.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

The cpvc is actually a return line plumbed into the drain c*ck port. The gas line hasn't been run yet.

here's a larger view.

Steve Barker

I agree with Gary, there needs to be a T&P valve on the tank that is piped to the floor. I'm not sure which room you are in or which code your jurisdiction uses, but I suspect the hot water tank needs to be on an pedestal that gets the flame over 18" off the floor.

Reply to
DanG

The 18" thing only applies to when it's in a garage area.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Softener

Speakers