New Monitor??

Hi all, Current monitor, old fuzzy 13" CRT, needs upgrading, who knows more...
Goto Architecture, they'll understand :)
17" CRT x 17" deep ($150) but covers 2 square feet of my desk. What's 2 square feet of desk worth? (including the roof, floor, replacement value etc.)
17" LCD Flat, Nil Area, no over and under head cost, ($300).
Does anyone find LCD's inferior to CRT's or CRT's superior to LCD's?
I need to be able to read equations with exponents.
TIA Ken S. Tucker
Ken S. Tucker wrote:

Went 19" LCD 2 years ago...love it. Brighter...sharper. Less desk space.
Worth it!
23 inch cinema display from Apple saves space, gives great picture. TB

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?