new home ideas

Hello and good day to all, I am writing here today because I am looking for ideas. I am currently designing a new house to be built here in upstate New York in the spring. I am looking for ideas to make this house as efficient and cost effective as possible. Ideas to keep my energy usage to a minimum and make the most of the energy products that I do use. This will be a ranch house approximately 2000 square feet built basically in the middle of a 4 acre field. any help or ideas that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks JJ

Reply to
dbljay7542

You want ideas for free? No problem. Someone will be with you shortly....

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Upstate? Where upstate?

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

OK, when I say upstate I am talking about western New York, specifically Niagara county. The ground is mostly clay.

Reply to
dbljay7542

Does the clay fire white or red? Around here we have low temp firing Della Robia type clay. Keen for self made native american type pottery, once you seive it.

Reply to
++

Don:

currently

minimum

I live in a house designed by a Taliesin architect. It is built into the rock of a hill with 10 ft windows in the front. The architect used a verticle "baffle" which runs along the entire length of the front at the roofline - It is hard to describe, but is about 3 feet tall and suspended about 4 feet from the house. In the winter the sun comes in all the way to the back of the house, but in the summer it doesn't enter at all. It is set on an exact east/west axis. The floor is dark porcelain tile to absorb the heat in winter. I have radiant floor heat and bills are extememly low in super cold Wisconsin winters. What I love is that there is a huge water tank set into the fireplace...when there is a fire the water heats, travels above to a storage container and then down into the radiant floor tubes...the thermostat turns off the heated floor lasts much of the night. It is ingenious..and the fireplace is a "Kozy Heat" which has cast iron doors ceramic tiles on the floor and an electric fan which pushes heat through vents in the fireplace. In the summer we often question whether or not we turned the AC on...because the house stays cool most of the day. And we don't have mold problems...but if we are gone for a week and return there is a basement smell..so we keep an air cleaner going when that happens. Good luck on your project! Will

Reply to
greenbroke