Need resources for residential colonial architecture

I'm having a general contractor build a house that I designed using Broderbund's 3D Home Architect software. It's a 2-story colonial, or maybe you'd call it a colonial revival. Here is a link to something that is similar...

Our builder is very competent, but he's not very savvy when it comes to traditional architecture. Most of his houses are basic ranches. He's done some colonials and cape codes, and the workmanship is excellent, but I've noticed some annoying shortcomings when it comes to design, like the windows are not spaced uniformly, or he'll just leave out the center window on the second story, or he won't allow the proper amount of space between windows for shutters. I've mentioned some of these things, and his comments have included, "We'll I'm not a big fan of shutters, anyway." ...but this is a colonial!!! (Again, see the link above for the traditional look I'm trying to accomplish.) Other concerns include roof pitch, window trim, the front portico, door and baseboard trim, etc.

So here's my question... Is there a book or online resource that I can refer to for information about standards for colonial architecture, like dimensions, proportions, window spacing, etc? I really want this guy to build our house, but he just needs a little help to make sure he doesn't overlook some important details that could make the house look really silly.

Please help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Reply to
john

If it was easy there wouldn't be architecture schools, right? Design is something that doesn't just "happen". And in architecture design has implications related to the constructibility. You like shutters, right? How are you attaching them? What's the substrate? I'm sure you'd like something that isn't going to house birds or bats or wasps behind them, right?

Yes...there are books. Try Amazon.com. But if you're looking for construction details, then no, you'll need an architect. You probably won't find a "rule of thumb" book, though. Just books that discuss the style and the details.

The design you're looking for will really require somebody who has design ability. And it won't be cheap...neither the design itself or the materials or the installation or the finishing. One of the reasons, IMHO, that "colonial" type traditional architecture has fallen out of favor is the craftsmanship required to do it right. That kind of craftsmanship is very hard to find and even more expensive.

You want doors and windows to make sense, good proportions, etc. Hire a professional designer. You'll be money ahead in the long run...and much happier with the final product.

Reply to
3D Peruna