Navel Architecture

Page 2 of 2

Yep. I unveiled the project during the party. I had the guy go to YouTube and watch it. It was priceless to hear him (I wasn't watching it with him) gasp and start laughing when he ran across the pictures. I'd added some captions and things and it went over extremely well. Too bad more people at the party don't have more money... ;)

There's something weird up with Google Maps in Canada. I don't get any of the tools that I get with Google in the US. Not sure what's up with that, but it's aggravating. I can't grab and move the map, I can't scroll, the zoom is for shit. Do you have any of those problems with it?

Trulli - no s. Trulli is the plural. They're built in a really arid area, so rain is not a big deal. http://sites.google.com/site/trulliholidays/home and http://www.trullinet.com/clienti/trulliforrent/index.htm The last one has a picture of trulli with snow on the roof. I'd never seen that before.

This is probably already gone, but...you never know. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?562-FREE-Bristol-Channel-Pilot-Cutter
This place has cheap weekend workshops: http://woodenboatrescue.org/?page_id=171

It would be easier and cheaper to just set the containers on piers. There would be advantages to skipping the excavation part (speed of construction, cost, simplified design), and you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the earth-sheltered thing, but the determining factors would be site specific.

Probably not. You really want me to move to Boston, don't you? Maybe you should look into couch surfing. ;)

I'm sitting here writing this in my finally-finished first-ever sweater I knit, and it fits very well, looks great, and is surprisingly warm! So I can empathise, especially today, with the good feeling of personal achievment... But, yes, about that more money thing...

No problems here. Maybe it's your system/browser?

Thanks for those links, especially the first, with construction-- bookmarked. I want to take a better look at it later.

Gone, thanks... I recently came across another forum and free boat that included someone inquiring if it was still available. I'm guessing you have to be on top of those things when they come out. I've been meaning to join that particular forum (or similar) if it's the same one as the magazine of the same name.

When I have additional time, I'm going to look over that site too. I have a folder on my bookmark bar called, WoodShips. :)

Funny, but my idea from 2004 had a couple of "piers" on one half-side as part of the design...
I dug these out of the bin: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.architecture/browse_thread/thread/fd9b8be702fdf9d/074e49915ad09b01?lnk=gst&q=shipping+container#074e49915ad09b01 http://groups.google.com/group/alt.architecture.alternative/browse_thread/thread/91ad1648b3b7ed94/a706833c67483fb3?lnk=gst&q=shipping+container#a706833c67483fb3 There may be some description there of initial designs, I haven't time to read all of it.
2003! ...hard to believe 8 years ago.

The original design was not supposed to include excavation, so that's good.

I'm not fussy. Just make it a reasonable area in Boston and suede. ;D

I'd like to see a picture of the sweater. How long did it take you to make it? How much actual working time, and how long overall from start to finish? A girlfriend of mine is an uber-knitter/crocheter/ budding-felter. The felting thing is very cool. I'm going to make me some boots.

Vista/Firefox - never saw the problem with any of Google's stuff before. When I take the lat and long you posted and plug it in to the US Google, it's all hunky dory.

I'm going to take a better look in person in the next year or two, max.

I have another book out on the history of containerized shipping - it's been just over 50 years since they were invented. Did you ever look into a refrigerated container to build with? http://anlcontainers.com.au/refrigerated-shipping-containers / Quite a wide temperature range!

It'll be micro. Not the suede, the couch - don't want you overstaying your welcome. :)~

With me in it? :) Well you'll have to wait for that, but for now, I can show you a pic spread out of it almost finished (that doesn't do it justice such as look as black or soft as it looks to the eye. It's a bit overexposed to show a little of the stitch details). (seamed at the raglans, except near the neck, under the arms or along the sides.)
http://web.ncf.ca/fr714/sweater.jpg

I took my sweet time and hardly worked on it since starting it until very recently, when I went crazy. I began it in June 2008 in North Vancouver at yet another Starbucks. Here's a picture of it of that era, along with a scarf I had made and a ball of handspun yarn I won from a contest. The prop is a metal sculpture in a park overlooking Coal Harbour:
http://web.ncf.ca/fr714/knitting.jpg
On the other side of Coal Harbour at 2 in the morning and in a fog: http://web.ncf.ca/fr714/harbour.htm
Sometimes you just can't sleep, so you go out and rollerblade in the fog with a camera.

Felted boots? Never heard of those, but, yes, felting is quite cool. The knitted and felted women's purses remind me of an ex-girlfriend who was crazy about purses and had many-- except, AFAIK, one like that.

I can't explain that, but sometimes if I Google a specific problem and phrase it well, sometimes I'll find the solution.

I'm envious. Have fun. Maybe I can find a free boat in the mean time and sail there. Right now at the site, there's a cute Bluenose- designer-designed boat in good shape "sort of" available (someone's wanting dibs on it). I'd take it if I was east coast.

Superman could fly at lightspeed, counter to the earths rotation, going back in time and secretly slip a condom on Flashes daddy's dick right before entry.

I thought about that and decided that if Flash's raison d'etre is speed, then it would stand to reason that he should be made the fastest-- faster even than Superman.
But you made me decide to look it up for fun:
"On several occasions, the Flash has raced against Superman, either to determine who is faster or as part of a mutual effort to thwart some type of threat; these races, however, often resulted in ties because of outside circumstances. However, after the DC Universe revision after Crisis on Infinite Earths, The Flash does successfully beat Superman in a race in Adventures of Superman #463 with the explanation that Superman is unused to running at high speed for extended periods of time since flying is more versatile and less strenuous, which means the far more practiced Flash has the advantage. After Final Crisis in Flash: Rebirth #3 the Flash is shown as being much faster than Superman, easily outstripping him as Superman tries to keep up with him. He claims that those times that the races between them were close were 'for charity'." ~ Wikipedia

Superman was 'designed' (or evolved) to be the best at everything - you know, super! The banality of that eventually dawned on people and weaknesses had to be introduced. Magic (sheesh), varieties of Kryptonite, etc. He was just way too boring otherwise. In essence they had to restructure the fighting weight classifications to make things a sporting proposition.

Exactly. At this point, all superheroes have become banal.

The key word was *buried*, save money on a casket and plot when the time comes. I can see the advertising slogan now, "Stay home, for eternity!"