NASA's New 'Lesson' from Space

It's a paradox:

Shun risk, and yet passively persist in a state of risk--howsoever 'calculated'.

From the Seattle times . . .

"The astronauts had spent much of the day running through the never-before-attempted repair methods, just in case they were ordered up."

While procrastination continues to dog necessary repairs for Hubble, even as essential weather satellites are on the verge of going out of commission with nothing on the agenda to replace them, somehow, somewhere in the administration of the Space Program, there is deemed (in a mentality the flavor of Fruit Loops) to be room on the Shuttle for another frivolous, trivial, patently asinine "School Teacher in Space" mission--but no room in the crew for a pair of crack space-ship mechanics, let alone an engineer or two, to be on board for every mission, thoroughly trained and equipped for just such an exigency as this, which occurred with the last Kaptain Kangaroo and Romper Room in Space mission which ended in catastrophe--as only such a mission is apparently destined to do.

There just seems to be a fateful kind of logic to it that is too mathematical, too concrete, too almost cosmically lawful (let alone 'awful') to be expressed in parabolas of words. It has nothing whatever to do with "justice" that 1 + 1 = 2; it just flatly makes sense, as likewise so does the observation that inanity tends toward tragedy.

When things get stupid, needless, wasteful, capricious, snotty and slothful--well, once again from the Seattle Times . . .

"Endeavour's bottom thermal shielding was pierced by a piece of debris that broke off the external fuel tank shortly after liftoff last week. The debris, either foam insulation, ice or a combination of both, weighed just one-third of an ounce but packed enough punch to carve out a 3 ½-inch-long,

2-inch-wide gouge and dig all the way through the thermal tiles. Left exposed was a narrow 1-inch strip of feltlike fabric, the last barrier before the shuttle's aluminum structure."

And now get a load of this . . .

"The chairman of the mission management team, John Shannon, said Johnson Space Center's engineering group in Houston wanted to proceed with the repairs. But everyone else, including safety officials, voted to skip them."

How on earth (or in the heavens) can this be happening again, right before our eyes?

It's simple: one 'risk' is deemed superior to another--the easiest risk, the passive, the do-nothing one, not the active one, wins the day in the Romper Room realms of the inane at NASA.

So what *is* the "lesson" for the children to learn from this?

Reply to
Mac the Nice

"Mac the Nice" wrote

The poor astronauts. I think this time they will need much more luck then the last time. I heard in England they are making bets...

Reply to
qbit

[snip]

The only certain means to be rid of a tenured teacher is... making it ride the Space Scuttle. Princess Diana was a kindergarten teacher before she was a British Royal broodmare. It wasn't every day that her charges got the intellectual better of her.

Uncle Al

Better yet, bag the whole shuttle program. With the cancellation of the AMS experiment, the last tenuous claim that the ISS would do "science" vanished. Now, as Bob Park says "NASA must complete the ISS so it can be dropped into the ocean on schedule in finished form."

I would take this as an indication that at least some of the experts feel the "repair" introduces more risk than doing nothing.

-jc

the

Reply to
jcon

Jeez... one stupid little research satellite (launched as the first of its kind in 1999), is approaching its end of life with no replacement, and critics make it out be the end of the weather satellite program and we're all gonna be doomed by hurricanes. QUIKSCAT will be mourned, but let's keep perspective here. We still have a fleet of GOES weather satellites (the ones that provide the cool global weather photos on News At Six) and the low-orbit weather satellites still have one last-generation yet to launch before moving on to the new generation NPOESS. Plus those Earth Observing Satellites ("Mission To Planet Earth") are still going strong.

And you do realize NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Adminstration) is responsible for weather satellites, not NASA, right?

Morgan's a full-fledged astronaut now, and the teacher aspect is her very-secondary duty. She also operates the robot arm and probably would have done so had the tile repair been ordered. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Last I checked, they've already gone out three times on this flight to install and repair things on the Station, and will do so again on Saturday. Sounds to me like they have the mechanics if they need them. But again, we must have our ignorant rant...

The "everyone else" are pretty smart, too. And the guys who disented aren't the guys most familiar with the hardware involved. And those guys didn't think it was a loss-of-crew situation, just a danger of time consuming repairs afterwards.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Thorn

Good thing the astronauts are keeping the shuttle in good repair, so they can go up again....and repair it.

Reply to
Secretia Green

We've got to be approaching the end of the line for the shuttle...How many more missions are planned with it?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Only partially. The status quo is that NASA gets the statellite up there and NOAA operates it (or something like that, I'm probably ignorant/oversimplifying on the details). See for example:

Maybe it would be good if NASA weren't involved, but that kind of depends on how equipped NOAA is to do a relatively big and complex procurement. Just because some of us have complaints about the NASA-contractor-Congress iron triangle doesn't automatically mean the NOAA-contractor-Congress triangle would be better.

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

The "science" claim to justify the manned space program has evaporated. With news of drunk astronauts and unhinged/jealous astronauts, so has the "national prestige" argument. What's left?

We beat the Russians to the moon. The urge to relive past glories is strong, and has kept the manned space program funded ever since. But the Evil Empire is no more, and the cockeyed dream of returning to the moon is as pointless as it is fraught with peril. With the bill soon coming due for the Iraq war, there's no way it's going to get funded.

Finally, thankfully, the manned space program will come to an end.

Reply to
Paul Foley

Its the station they repaired. The station has been up there since

1998 and the part they replaced has been up there since October 2000. When was the last time you took your car in for servicing?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Thorn

  1. Brian

Reply to
Brian Thorn

Sorry my mistake. That should have read: Good thing the astronauts are keeping the station in good repair, so they can go up again...and repair it.

8/3/07

Reply to
Secretia Green

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:51:17 -0400, in a place far, far away, "Don" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

To first order, zero.

Reply to
Rand Simberg

: :Finally, thankfully, the manned space program will come to an end. :

Then so will the unmanned space program. Good luck with that...

Reply to
Fred J. McCall

:On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:00:56 -0600, "Secretia Green" : wrote: : :>Good thing the astronauts are keeping the shuttle in good repair, so they :>can go up again....and repair it. : :Its the station they repaired. The station has been up there since :1998 and the part they replaced has been up there since October 2000. :When was the last time you took your car in for servicing? :

ISS isn't a car. It's a house. When was the last time you had to call in a repair crew to replace a part of your house that was only 7 years old?

Reply to
Fred J. McCall

Ouch. What are the bookies saying about the chances of another catastrophe?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 14:06:55 -0400, in a place far, far away, "Michael Bulatovich" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

The "bookies" don't know much about it. If you think that there's a one in a hundred chance per flight, the probability would be about

13%. If you think it's two in a hundred, it's about one in four. I think it's actually less than one in a hundred per flight, so the chances of losing another one are pretty small in the remaining fourteen flights.
Reply to
Rand Simberg

You never had to work on your house in seven years? Where do you live and how can I get one like it? Home Depot and Lowe's must really hate whoever built your house!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Thorn

Speaking of space photos, check out the following page in the Wikipedia with a bird's eye view of Hurricane Dean:

Stratum

Odds are there won't be another fatality. The odds are a little less encouraging that they'll actually get all 14 in before the end of

2010.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Thorn