Mahogany vs Pine Interior Doors

I'm debating whether to go through the trouble of using mahogany interior doors instead of pine. Pine is very common in this area, mahogany is not. I have to travel about 3 hours to see the doors, but they are about the same price as the pine.

Would there be enough difference to warrant this extra trouble. I believe mahogany is less grainy than pine and that is a big plus. Anyone who's had experience with both?

Thanks

Barry

Reply to
Sanbar

There are scores of woods that are called mahogany. The premium ones fetch far more than the price of a pine door. The standard low end hollow core prehung door is made with luan plywood veneers, and luan is also known as Philippine mahogany.

Mahogany does have much less of a pronounced grain, and is generally easier to finish. Pine is subject to blotching. You should pick the doors and the finish at the same time.

Here's a site with some useful wood species information:

RicodJour

These are the doors I'm considering. I believe they are solid core.

> I'm debating whether to go through the trouble of using mahogany interior

Reply to
Sanbar

Mahogany is a much nicer, finer grain, takes stain and paint (but don't) more uniformly wood. Definitely worth it. Your only problem will be finding a compatible floor color if you are going hardwood. What you will probably have is luan, i.e. Philippine mahogany.

Reply to
++