Load bearing book shelf

I have two rooms I like to open up but there is a load bearing wall in between. I don't want to mess with the ceiling truss and make things any more complicated so I think I will tear the wall down and in it's place I will do a floor to ceiling open shelf system. Are there any special considerations I need to make other than I need to get trim grade 8 feet tall 2x12s which is quite expensive.
I just space them 16" apart like they are wall studs right?
MC

Oh oh. Sounds like you're over your head on this one, MC.

No such thing, and even if there were you wouldn't really have an open space, well, not exactly. Just put a exposed beam where the wall used to be.

No. Beam, laminated or steel, depending on the load. Hire an engineer to tell you what depth beam you will need with a 3.25A" or 3.5" width.
correction: Erase the "A" after 3.25
MiamiCuse wrote:

I agree with Michael... Might be time for a structural engineer.
However, the do make structural laminated veneer studs (we use them for a particular client). Very straight and have good load bearing capacity. Finishing them, though, might be a bit tricky. And they're pricey. Also, look at the Parallam stuff through Trus-Joist. They may have something engineered and architectural.

Is this a shear wall????
4" wide header X (2" plus 1" of depth per ft of span) is typically is used. What load is above???

Before you do anything you need to determine exactly what that wall does for the truss. It may do nothing it may be critical. You also need to determine if that wall is providing racking resistance (taking the lateral loads - which can be significant in high wind areas...like Miami). Neither of those things can be determined without looking at it.
If it does nothing, you can take it down and do whatever you like. If it is structural, and you want to build a bookcase support, I would think that you'd want to space such deep supports farther apart. That would require a smaller beam to pick up the loads from the trusses.

It's just part of the roof trusses above. I am going to bring my company's head bridge engineer to take a look tomorrow.
Thanks,
MC