KunstlerCast: León Krier

That's why you have a memory. Exercise it.

Here's my prediction - in a year or two you'll be saying that you do the majority of the stuff you do in SU, even if it's just getting things started quickly before porting it to your crutch...errr...ACAD.

You mean like the beginner's beginner-mode? The icons are grouped, so there's the first clue, and after that if you use the program a few times even old guys like us can learn what an icon represents. After all the icons are designed to represent what they do. They're not trying to hide things.

Download some of the ruby scripts for SketchUp. They tremendously increase the speed and utility of SU. There are tons of free scripts that do things like create walls, with studs and skins, and do all sorts of other things with a vastly reduced number of clicks. Here's one good place:

RicodJour

Sure, and thanks for the suggestion... But how do you mean exactly by 'from= the waterline' and 'small boat'? You mean a smaller 'tall ship', and get i= n the boat and go below-deck where the waterline roughly is? And then just = take interior shots or shots from my interior vantage-point toward the outs= ide/upstairs?=20 Maybe you should simply arrive and show me that and my property pegs. ;)

Anyway, if so, that's part of my intention, boat-wise. I might bring a pano= scopic tripod attachment too and see if my old cam's battery can stay charg= ed long enough for a 360-degree series of images...=20 Oh, and maybe leverage some of the shots for my own virtual boat-design. Wo= oden sailing-boat design is a bit of a mystery to me as to, for example, ho= w the boat floats properly in the water and under wind-pressures.

Thanks to your news, my memory was jogged a little with regard to this summ= er's 'historic' launching, from Lunenburg, of the schooner, the Bluenose II= .=20 I might catch it myself. I looked at their website and it looks like we've = missed little so far. Lunenburg is really nice.=20 The boat's apparently still in dry-dock. They are oiling the cabin roof and= have just drilled the windows I think. :)

t got cancelled, but there still seems to be a ferry running from (St. John= ?) New Brunswick to Digby(?), Nova Scotia. If you wish, I will try to confi= rm that. There may be some info online too.

Here's what I can tell: The Main-to-Yarmouth ferry definitely appears defun= ct; while there's still a St. John, New Brunswick-to-Digby ferry. You shoul= d be able to confirm this with these sites which list phone numbers and may= be inquire about the Yarmouth one, although I'm pretty sure it's done:

If you were just you and a companion or two, you might have been able to hi= tch a sail from NY. The tall ships are headed past too... Maybe swim out by= the light of the moon and stowaway... being cautious not to run afoul of a= ny urban-industrial waste of course.

Seriously, though, if I was you, I'd land at Digby, check out the region, (= they have small ferries to and from the thin "spits" further south), includ= ing the quaint town of Annapolis Royale, swing over to Shelburne at the end= of July for the Tall Ships, and then cap it off with a stay in Lunenburg.

Ostensibly, it's some kind of bicentennial thing this summer as well.

I wouldn't doubt it.=20 I was trained on ACAD but it's still a pain.=20 Nevertheless, from what I understand, SU is proprietary. I'd rather go with= FLOSS, and there is one CAD app (FreeCAD?) that appears to be gaining grou= nd. But at this rate, I'll probably be on a new work path that shirks much = of this stuff before long anyway. Like gardening, beekeeping and carpentry. =20

That was intended as a compliment! Have you actually seen those rock-star b= uses? They are... like pimped-out Greyhound buses!

;)

But ok, if you can make it to Shelburne for the end of July, I'll ask for y= our autograph and make a public spectacle of it.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Canada, right?

most a non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very n= ice and quiet too. What a difference from the city.

'll be there again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few othe= r things... like trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pe= gs among the mosquitoes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;)

ce shipping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are pro= bably a little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at th= e moment.

ve both on hand.

Nice... Retail value appears to be going down and prices up ay? Perennials = may be the way to go for the most part.=20 How about rainwater-collection and cisterns? And beekeeping? Do you have a = well? And selling your honey's and jams at the local market? I'm looking at= some of that.

Incidentally, I just picked up a mobile keyboard controller and downloaded = some music software and am about to get back into electronic music composit= ion after a 20+-year hiatus. Who knows, I might ask you to send me some gui= tar/riff/chord samples by email to incorporate.

Rico, if you catch this, Dmitry Orlov, of some culturally-relevant book-wri= ting fame, lives on a boat in Boston(?) and seems to be interested in old-s= tyle, small-scale trade by sailboat, and I might like to join him down the = line. Perhaps boats, along with costs, could be shared. In any case, turning an old, generally-unuseable/unrepairable boat of a sel= ect kind upside-down might make for a great little cabin with cathedral roo= f/ceiling/loft-space.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Sure.=20 Agent Smith, to me, represents the FBI, etc.; The Matrix is like Plato's Ca= ve. In our case; the corporate oligarchy.

"Waking up" inside a prison-system that we've been born into seems almost a= n act of chance if no one is talking about it, if no one is calling us and = offering a red pill. And even then, there are no guarantees everyone with w= ant it in favour of the blue.

Warm Worm

s may be the way to go for the

a well? And selling your honey's

Make your own yogurt in a yurt, Yoda! May The Culture be with you. ;)

d some music software and am about

o knows, I might ask you to send me

Go retro electronic - get or better yet build a theremin, the original electronic instrument. Predates the electric guitar by a couple or three decades. Theremin concerts were held in Carnegie Hall in the

30's. And every single person knows exactly what they sound like, though very few know the instrument itself. Brian Wilson, he of The Beach Boys fame, used it to great effect in Good Vibrations, which not coincidentally is exactly what music and specifically the theremin is all about.

riting fame, lives on a boat in

ailboat, and I might like to join him

elect kind upside-down might make for

That sounds very interesting. Let's talk about it.

RicodJour

nnials may be the way to go for the

have a well? And selling your honey's

Wow, ya... nice...=20

Hey, where's your "~" thing, by the way, in your smilie? Like this: ;)~

loaded some music software and am about

s. Who knows, I might ask you to send me

True. And there may be good software emulators too:

days, everything seems to be modeled.

ook-writing fame, lives on a boat in

by sailboat, and I might like to join him

f a select kind upside-down might make for

Sure.

Reply to
Warm Worm