KunstlerCast: Len Krier

Page 2 of 2
On Saturday, July 7, 2012 10:01:28 AM UTC-3, RicodJour wrote:

I'll bring my camera and go onboard.

I just got back from Halifax and asked the bus driver: According to him, there was a ferry serving Yarmouth to Maine, but it got cancelled, but there still seems to be a ferry running from (St. John?) New Brunswick to Digby(?), Nova Scotia. If you wish, I will try to confirm that. There may be some info online too.

20': http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=2174c05c4737d81767ffb6c1c6575789&prevstart=0
40': http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=c44d7dee3e06ea7667ffb6c1c6575789&prevstart=0
You might be disappointed to know that I've only so far used SketchUp for file conversion to ACAD and reverse-designed/"engineered" the models which manifest as discrete surface elements instead of solid volumes which seem to take up less memory/processing power. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way, and I'd love to learn SU, but already have enough on my plate for now.

I have the most recent one and maybe I should learn it, but dislike having to keep learning new things all the time, especially if/when they become obsolete and/or less useful.

So it's like you have a mobile office in an almost-rock-star bus. Not bad. ;)

If there's anyway at all you can get into a small boat and take some pictures from the waterline, that'd be worthwhile. You get a much better sense of the scale of things, and you almost can't help but get good pictures...plus those nasty tourist critters aren't always in the way. ;)

Okay. First one to find the information gets bragging rights!

I downloaded them and I'll take a look at them a bit later. Thanks for the links.

SketchUp almost requires you to unlearn things from AutoCAD. You'll be unlearning bad habits foisted upon you by Autodesk.

I've been using SketchUp since version 4. I haven't had to unlearn a single thing and the underlying engine works the same. The inference engine is stellar.

RicodJour> wrote:

Right now I am delving into Sketchup (8) for the 3rd time since it was originally released way back when. Each time I get very frustrated because don't work the way I think they should. sigh I grabbed a bunch of video tutorials but even those give me problems. Why in the world can they not put optional labels on the tool buttons? sheesh

Yes, I know, and it takes infinately longer to wait on that as opposed to just seeing the name right off. I made my own toolbar and some of the buttons in acad and there are no labels because I've been using it for so long I know where everything is. Sketchup ought to provide labels and the ability to turn them off later if so desired, you know like the BIG buttons have names and the little buttons don't.

That's why you have a memory. Exercise it.

Here's my prediction - in a year or two you'll be saying that you do the majority of the stuff you do in SU, even if it's just getting things started quickly before porting it to your crutch...errr...ACAD.

You mean like the beginner's beginner-mode? The icons are grouped, so there's the first clue, and after that if you use the program a few times even old guys like us can learn what an icon represents. After all the icons are designed to represent what they do. They're not trying to hide things.
Download some of the ruby scripts for SketchUp. They tremendously increase the speed and utility of SU. There are tons of free scripts that do things like create walls, with studs and skins, and do all sorts of other things with a vastly reduced number of clicks. Here's one good place: http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/rld/plugins_list_az.php
On Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:10:45 AM UTC-3, RicodJour wrote:

Sure, and thanks for the suggestion... But how do you mean exactly by 'from the waterline' and 'small boat'? You mean a smaller 'tall ship', and get in the boat and go below-deck where the waterline roughly is? And then just take interior shots or shots from my interior vantage-point toward the outside/upstairs? Maybe you should simply arrive and show me that and my property pegs. ;)
Anyway, if so, that's part of my intention, boat-wise. I might bring a panoscopic tripod attachment too and see if my old cam's battery can stay charged long enough for a 360-degree series of images... Oh, and maybe leverage some of the shots for my own virtual boat-design. Wooden sailing-boat design is a bit of a mystery to me as to, for example, how the boat floats properly in the water and under wind-pressures.

Thanks to your news, my memory was jogged a little with regard to this summer's 'historic' launching, from Lunenburg, of the schooner, the Bluenose II. I might catch it myself. I looked at their website and it looks like we've missed little so far. Lunenburg is really nice. The boat's apparently still in dry-dock. They are oiling the cabin roof and have just drilled the windows I think. :)
https://www.facebook.com/sailbluenoseii http://bluenose.novascotia.ca /

Here's what I can tell: The Main-to-Yarmouth ferry definitely appears defunct; while there's still a St. John, New Brunswick-to-Digby ferry. You should be able to confirm this with these sites which list phone numbers and maybe inquire about the Yarmouth one, although I'm pretty sure it's done:
http://www.nfl-bay.com / http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/planyourtrip/getting_here/by_sea/default.aspx
If you were just you and a companion or two, you might have been able to hitch a sail from NY. The tall ships are headed past too... Maybe swim out by the light of the moon and stowaway... being cautious not to run afoul of any urban-industrial waste of course.
Seriously, though, if I was you, I'd land at Digby, check out the region, (they have small ferries to and from the thin "spits" further south), including the quaint town of Annapolis Royale, swing over to Shelburne at the end of July for the Tall Ships, and then cap it off with a stay in Lunenburg.
Ostensibly, it's some kind of bicentennial thing this summer as well.

I wouldn't doubt it. I was trained on ACAD but it's still a pain. Nevertheless, from what I understand, SU is proprietary. I'd rather go with FLOSS, and there is one CAD app (FreeCAD?) that appears to be gaining ground. But at this rate, I'll probably be on a new work path that shirks much of this stuff before long anyway. Like gardening, beekeeping and carpentry.

That was intended as a compliment! Have you actually seen those rock-star buses? They are... like pimped-out Greyhound buses!
;)
But ok, if you can make it to Shelburne for the end of July, I'll ask for your autograph and make a public spectacle of it.