Interior window - is that allowed?

OK I finally got my plumbing stack relocated, now on to the next problem...

I have a room that shares a wall with a hallway. On the other side of the hallway is an exterior concrete block wall with windows. This room does not have enough light, so I am thinking of stealing some lights from the hallway window by adding a few interior windows. Not real windows, but I was thinking a series of 16"x16" frosted glass (16" because studs are spaced 16" apart). It probably would look more like a recessed shelf with a glass back. Is there any reason I cannot do that? That it would look odd because it's a window on an interior wall?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Up here it depends on the function of the spaces. There are code-mandated fresh air ventilation, and natural light requirements for *certain* spaces. There are also 'gas-proofing' issues with garages....

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"MiamiCuse" wrote in news:haydnXHMkcWakJbanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@dsli.com:

"Odd" only means "not average" - depending upon how it's done, IMO it could potentially be nifty ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

hallwaywindowby adding a fewinteriorwindows. Not real windows, but I was

Kind of late, but after reading all of the posts on this thread, I thought I'd mention another idea, for the next guy (like me) looking for something similar.

If you can spare a little space in the bedroom (wouldn't need to be too much) you could put in an aviary (spelling?), or other type of aquariam or terrariam (sp?). Wouldn't even need anything living, maybe just some plants, rocks, maybe even a statue. That way it is something nice to look at on either side, and the "thicker" you make the scenery, the more privacy you get. In addition, you could put some blinds or some type of curtain that could be closed from the bedroom side... might give a cleaner look if this blind thing was on the inside of the glass. I think a simple/solid blind might work well, one that just looks like a cloth, more so than a fancy curtain or something you would only expect to see on an exterior wall... if that makes any since. That special glass that changes so you can't see through it would be really cool, but expensive.

This type of idea would probably work even better if you also gave it some light from the roof, but if you had A LOT of light in the hall already, guess you might not need light from the roof as well.

I was thinking of doing something like this if we ever change our floor plan and end up having one of the bedrooms not have any exterior walls. I was going to make it so the entire structure could be moved enough so a person could use it as an emergency entrance/exit as well. In that case it wasn't going to go all the way up to the roof, just the height of a normal window, and then it would have a skylight above it (maybe not directly above it, but close). I hadn't figured out all of the design issues, but was thinking of a sliding wood panel as the "curtain" on the inside, which could be closed when privacy was needed. Maybe something on the bedroom side of the panel, that hid what it really was, maybe made it look like a picture on the wall or something like that.

Reply to
eselk

Cute idea and one I guess a lot of people have considered in the past. One Australian /Macedonian guy has severla waterfalls in his house aong those kinds of lines but household servants are relatively affordable in Macedonia.

Reply to
++

snipped-for-privacy@surfbest.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

How about a "water wall"? I've seen ones that are encloes inside of 2 sheets of glass (or maybe plexiglass...).

Reply to
Kris Krieger