Information required about sound masking industry

Hi,

We are students doing a research on the Sound masking industry in the US for our project in Europe. The aim of the research is to know more about the sound masking industry, how it actually works. We are in the middle of the research and we happened to come across this newsgroup. I have a few questions which I would like to clarify about the sound masking industry.

1)How is a typical office project organised in the US? If I am the tenant/owner of the office, then do I hire a facility manager/property manager to oversee its construction? Does the facility manager then hire an acoustic consultant to see the acoustics of the office? Is it any different in Canada?

2)How is the decision to go for sound masking systems actually taken? Who decides which brand to choose?

3)If there is a public bidding process, how are the bidders invited, does the Acoustic consultant already pre-selects the brands and the bidders?

4)Who actually installs the sound masking system, can it be a General electrical contractor or should it always be a A/V contractor.

5)What % of buildings are currently being build with the help of an acoustical consultant?

6) Does anyone have an idea of the exact costs required for sound masking. On most of the sound masking websites we see the cost to be typically around $1 per square foot. Is this correct. Does this take into account other costs like wiring costs, installation costs, etc.

7) Is Internet used as a medium for buying sound masking products?

I appreciate your answering the questions and spending your valuable time to do so.

Thank you very much.

Reply to
Algemene.Electriciteit

Possibly.

Sr. Branding Coordinator, and or the Assistant Sidewalk Supervisor (ASS).

Word of mouth or posted to Craigslist.

Walls of sound used to be created by Phil Spector, not sure anymore.

87.3%

Absolutely.

Never.

No problem.

Reply to
Secretia Green

I'll attempt to be more helpful...

Usually, we work directly with the client. Sometimes, though, we're hired by a firm that is contracting with the client to build the project (then lease it back to the client).

If the project has need for particular consultants, then we will find them and contract with them. In the case of sound masking systems, we'll contract with a sound engineer to design the system and recommend brands to use.

Most projects are bid, a few are negotiated contracts. In either case, the specification developed with the consultant is used as the basis. In almost all cases, a base design standard is uses, with appropriate analysis of requested product substitutes during bidding.

Depends on the extent of the system. For small projects, the electrical contractor often does it. Larger projects will have an A/V contractor.

For us, 5%.

Not a freaking clue.

Sometimes we'll look up info on the Internet, but we leave it up to the contractor to actually buy.

Good luck.

Reply to
3D Peruna

I've only been involved in one qualifying project.

Do you mean "office people doing some project," "a project to make an office," "the archictural office designing a project"?

Is the building being designed and built by an architecture firm? Does the building exist? Do you already occupy it? Have you just rented it? Is it white or gray space?

The client said "we need sound damping between units." I forget if that's also in the code or not.

The receptionist made the recommendation, the project architect made the specification, the client (in house construction) agreed.

n/a

n/a

It might do you well to couch your questions in ways that don't assume answers to previous questions. That is : Who says there's an accoustic consultant?

See, I'm wondering if you're talking about something different than I'm talking about. Electrical contractor? The product we used was studs. The framing crew installed it.

I don't know.

You're questionaire is starting to sound like you need help in research design.

Yes, somebody has very intimate and up to date knowledge of this.

Of space masked? Of material installed?

What do the web sites say?

I don't know. The receptionist did the research on the web. No clue how the purchase was made, check the GC for that info. Perhaps check or money order, maybe Visa.

Reply to
gruhn

One hopes to design spaces with as little possible need for mitigation using common known acoustics properties.

Field architect, Construction Manager

The acoustics engineer is a part of your team of AEs or she is a member of your AE firm

First design so yu need less.

The Acoustics engineer usually makes suggestions as a part of the work. There may be more than one solution. The cost consultant or the architect engineer conveys costs of various solutions.

Depends on the system. Acoustics control can be as simple as strategically placed panels to absorb noise. Depends on what the noise problem is, as designed or in renno retrofit

Why not go to some acoustical engineering websites for industry %s

**
Reply to
++