I think it looks more like a snail

but the Slinky comparison is more catchy.

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news:4e2d7bcb-b39e-44f8-a262- snipped-for-privacy@w2g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Yep - very much a slinky - except a slinky can move ... Interesting. Problem if it catches fire (hydrofluoric acid). Seems it can be modified to resist solar gain (around here we have 650 watts/m2). Strength: seems it can handle impacts. Ok for wind speeds if used in aircraft etc.

Is this the way we are heading? "Cursed be he who joins house to house and field to field that a man may never be alone ... " [Essene manuscripts - I think] Maybe the grumpies can have one of their own :-)

Reply to
troppo

It reminded me of the giant sea snail from the original Doctor Dolittle movie with Rex Harrison, where the merry band of cohorts escaped the island by climbing inside the snail's shell.

Well, it's floating, so I'd presume they'd have a pretty good water supply to put out fires.

Pretty interesting design, though. Food for discussion and far better than Buckminster "Hey, look at me I'm a genius!!" Fuller's stuff.

That quote is from Isiah, and it actually says something quite the opposite.

if someone needs some alone time, there's always a rowboat. ;)

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

The one on CNN was on a patch of dirt next to a road. What happens if it's floating and there is a storm/cyclone/ tornado etc? Anchor it to the bottom? Could work I suppose - hemispherical forms have best performance in high winds. I'm a bit skeptical, but then, I have just been watching a 300 ton concrete walkway floating down the Brisbane River and that should have been impossible as well.

Yes indeed. I'll have a look at this stuff - raw materials, inputs, costs etc

So it is - thanks for the correction. A little bit ambiguous in the KJB version, or just my attitude perhaps ...

Haha - wouldn't be long before the community management provided one for me :-)

Reply to
troppo

- snipped-for-privacy@k30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

I'm with you on that one - that's why I investigated the quote you posted. I liked it and wanted to be able to whip it out when I wanted to tell people to go somewhere I'm not. I was quite disappointed to find out the Isiah version. I like yours better. Hmmm...there are a number of versions of the Bible out there, maybe you should write (and right) a new one!

RicodJour

snipped-for-privacy@k30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

The New Living Translation seems to be more clear: "What sorrow for you who buy up house after house and field after field, until everyone is evicted and you live alone in the land."

-- Ron

Reply to
Ron Peterson

Ron Peterson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l24g2000vby.googlegroups.com:

I was going to use it as a (tongue in cheek) defence against urban consolidation. I've done an 'Everything' search to find my original notes, but nothing comes up - must have been on an old drive that failed.

The context was probably right - Essene manuscripts from the Dead Sea Scrolls. These have fragments of old testament stuff. Lots of people have had a go at "translating" the scrolls and a lot of the stuff is dodgy. On the other hand, the Essenes didn't seem to go for urban consolidation either :-)

Yep - it's all about covetousness rather than claustrophobia.

Reply to
troppo

Just this week I had someone email me this. It reminds me of someone on here years ago talking about megabuildings or cities within buildings or something like that. Reminds me too of a fancy pen for the herd.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I was kind of hoping that it would work like a water wheel. When the community decided it was time to move they'd all climb up one curving wall and rotate the wheel and paddles would propel the wheel forward. If everyone started running in the same direction it might even be able to kick up a wake.

And speaking of (opium) pipe dreams, there was a show on the tube about the efforts to 'save' Mies' Farnsworth house. I got a great kick out of his surprise that a woman would want to have a closet for her clothes - even in a weekend house. And that's what I would have done to him if he had given me that response. Kick him. I was also surprised, but not really, that the people that wanted to 'save' the Farnsworth house were aghast that the house could easily be dismantled and moved. That's the best thing about that phone booth...excuse me...house. They never mentioned anything about condensation on the windows in winter, so I can only imagine that Mies didn't believe people should go away for the weekend when it was cold out. Wot a maroon.

RicodJour

The house looks like the result of someone with "writer's block" who just decides to go with the lack of flow. Like a blank page with simple borders. In that case, who needs closets? ;)

About condensation, I just had a 'permaculture moment' insofar as having something-- some sort of indoor planting-- that could leverage that and all the light. Thinking inside the box, where, when you're in the box, you might as well be outside.

I helped one of my ex's move her stuff to another town one summer, and it took two trips by car plus a moving-truck. Her idea of closets were entire rooms. I'm not kidding. The Farnsworth House would make a nice closet-cum-gallery-showroom for all her stuff. It could be attached by some sort of heated glass walkway to the main Thoreau/Waldin Cabin:

ok, each would make an excellent counterpoint against each appropriately-oriented on the same land, a "creative instalment"; social commentary.

"Honey! Come back! Where are you going?!"

Reply to
Warm Worm

The statue of Thoreau in that last photo makes him look like he's surprised to find he has a hand. I guess a book is supposed to be held in that hand, but I like the surprise better. I also like Christopher Morley's Knothole better than Thoreau's cabin.

It's near me, just behind the dog park. I did not know until posting this that it had a Dymaxion bathroom! Talk about strange juxtapositions...

RicodJour

I replied earlier but don't see the post... Well I had said that I had to look Dymaxion bathroom and in the process, found a site of some writers' rooms. Here it is again:

'man-caves', Rico! (fans face with hand) ;)

Ok ok, it's Monday...

Nevertheless, and speaking of something I was writing about and kind of similar that I would prefer over those:

Which can be found here:
enough, they're restoring the Bluenose 2! [The first is what's depicted on our Canadian dime])

In this town ("Unesco heritage"):

Right up from Boston. :)

Reply to
Warm Worm

The link above, after the sentence beginning with 'Nevertheless', should instead be:

Warm Worm

Why in the world would anyone *save* a bundle of sliding glass doors? Some people have more dollars than *cents*.

Reply to
creative1986