HVAC/MECHANICAL Drawings HELP PLEASE

Ok, so I accepted this job that I shouldn't have, have been paid for work I haven't done, and as a last resort I am hoping that someone here can help me out.

I need to produce HVAC drawings(existing as well as proposed) for a residential-to-public-use renovation(house becomes religious center). These drawings are to be submitted for permit approval as well as construction. What I would like to know is what level of detail is typically needed for this kind of drawing. Do I need to include material specifications? I have drawn out the locations of diffusers & ductwork, but am stumped on what to do next.

Any help would be much appreciated! I need to finish these drawings within the next couple days or so, otherwise I will have to cancel our agreement. If it is likely I will not be able to successfully "wing it", I would prefer to just return payment & terminate agreement.

THANKS!

Regards,

Ham Sandwich

Reply to
Ham Sandwich

Normal practice in my experience would be for the architect to hire a qualified licensed HVAC engineer to do this part of the design. In some cases that engineer might work for a contractor.

Reply to
Noral Stewart

I agree with Don - Never Cancel a project if at all possible. I pride myself of not knowing all the answers but I will do all that I can to find them.

Here are a couple of options I have done in the past:

  1. Hire a local HVAC contractor like Don said - many times they will do the design for free if the can do the build out or at a very reduced rate if their name/logo is on the plans and they are guaranteed to at least bid on the build.

  1. There are always small, 1 man Mechanical engineering shops that are eager to do the work and dont have the high overhead normally found. I have found this to be extremely usefull in a pinch because they are always hungry for work and many times their fees are minimal in perspective.

If you hire a contractor or an engineer to do the work, the liability rests on their shoulders. Here in Phoenix where A/C is MANDATORY, this is important. I had a case about 12 years ago when a general contractor "Value Engineered" a mechanical system for a new upscale resturant. He said the engineer over designed the system and he could save the owner $. Of course, the owner liked that so they proceeded. As it turns out, during their July opening (115 degrees that day) their star studded event was a flop. Eveyone complained how hot it was and many of the stars that showed up, left promplty. The contractor was sued and had to bring the entire a/c system up to the original plans and pay for lost revenue for the 2 weeks the rest. was shut down. The contractor had to pay about $300k all in the name of saving the owner about $10k. Learn from this and let others do what they specialize in, it will save you lots of headaches and $ down the road.

Good luck....

-Robert

Reply to
Robert Klob