Hurricane-proof House

Page 6 of 8

I dobt that a concrete wall will stop a backhoe.
Don wrote:

Constant, evenly dispersed pressure.

Not.
Notan

How long will it take a backhoe to get through it?

Relative to what? There are many mechanical or structurally made 10 x or more heavier than even a big backhoe.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My point is, it's not the material that's used, it's how the structure is designed.
Notan
Don wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, my post was in response to Edwin's post.
I must've missed the point at which you started speaking for him.
Notan
Don wrote:

As I've said before, I can respect the fact that you're opinionated, and stand firmly for the things you think are important.
But, you have this attitude, where anyone that disagrees with you is unitelligent, uneducated, and <fill in any/all of your usual descriptors>. You like to portray yourself as holier-than-everyone-else. You have *the* answer, while no one else comes close.
Maybe you've always been this way, but it's only lately that I've begun to see you as nothing more than a non-religious bible thumper.
While I'm sure that you couldn't care less about my opinions (or anyone else's, for that matter), you *don't* have all the answers.
There's lots of stuff you're missing. I'm hoping you'll catch up.
Notan
Notan wrote:

Spell-checker turned back on... That was "unintelligent."
Notan
Don wrote:

No, spell-checker.
And, that's exactly what I'm talking about... You always *think* you know better.
I *misspelled* a word, which a spell-checker would have caught.
A *grammar checker* (By the way, you should've used your *spell checker* on that one! <g>) would have told me if my sentence was grammatically incorrect.
Notan

In the case of the HA, their primary goal was to slow down, not necessarily stop the cops. The large concrete blocks in front of the concrete wall keep a backhoe at a significant distance too. All in all, the design looks like a typical US embassy or consulate.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

Cameras, man, cameras.
Cops, whether local guys on the beat, DEA agents, Secret Service, swat teams, or anything, don't fear guns. They make sure they're always more heavily armed than and outnumber the people they've been told to take out.
And they don't worry too much about heavily fortified buildings. As your post states, if they find a door or wall that their battering rams can't take down, they'll use a backhoe; if that doesn't work, a bulldozer.
What law enforcement fears; what can really put a stop to what they're doing, is cameras. A single video of a cop doing something that doesn't look right, sent to the media, will be more damaging to a cop than a million guns, and a bigger impedement to their goals than a house built like Fort Knox.
I saw video today of a scuffle between cops and evacuees. One of the cops completely ignored his cohorts efforts to get a handle on the situation, and instead approached the camera-man - yelling "TURN OFF THE CAMERA! TURN OFF THE CAMERA NOW!"
Don wrote:

I'd warn against shooting a cop surrounded by other cops (with guns) in the face.
I'd say the camera guy should have kept rolling, braced himself, and seen if he could get the coming assault by an officer caught on film.

Easy.
He had something to fear.
Remember Rodney King? It wasn't a gun that brought the LAPD to its knees. It was a camera. Cameras are better than any other thing at capturing the truth. And when the truth is leaked about police activity, it's often rough for the cops involved.
Witness Amadou Diallo.
41 shots.

The excuse is that the presence of a camera encourages people play TO the camera, and thus makes them harder to control than otherwise.
The REASON is because cops are control freaks.

You had a shot up until the "unwanted government interference". There is nothing that can be built to stand up or resist that.
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:26:21 -0700, Mark & Juanita

More to the point, you wouldn't be able to break ground on the house's foundation without having to deal with it.
Lee

Don't live there, don't build there. You're an idiot if you do.
I'm sure there are.

Cows have that too, its called herd instinct. Today's typical mindset, impression that it qualifiies since the herd is doing it, doesn't involve much higher thinking. Moo.
Easy.... Find a Mountain in the Rockies build a deep shaft........ Building in New Orleans disregards your own concerns. You can't account for all the possibilities of a Hurricane it's to independent and random, best you can do is work from historical data. By it's own design if a storm impacted the area, you would become an oasis, and if offering no assistance most likely you will simply be destroyed using most readily a flammable liquid.
I see you account for your own failure? And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if necessary. I'd say the best would be a hot air balloon..................

Since everybody for the most part overlooked the obvious........ I'd say it may stand, just nothing at home upstairs!

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:39:12 GMT, "HMFIC-1369" < snipped-for-privacy@VVet.comBaa Baa> wrote:

Normal houses should be able to survive a direct hit Cat 2 hurricane (correct me if I am wrong). A direct hit from anything above that will cause damage however strong you build it. Once there is damage and the rainwater/floofwater gets in the inside contents that can absorb water are toast. And the stronger and heavier your building the more damage there will be to your house and to your neighbor's as the parts tear off in the high wind or flood surge. You also don't want to build a house so heavy that it looks like a prison and cost more than one. You'll never pass the guidelines for neighbourhood architectural conformity anyway.
So we can presume that your house will look be built like one of those antebellum houses that makes New Orleans so charming. It should also be a two storey house so that you will have a place of refuge in case of flooding
If I were to rebuild what I will do is to design a house that will have a concrete structural frame that will stand intact in a Cat 5 storm. Presumably the main panels and outlets for utility llines, water pipes and other services will be attached to or be protected by this concrete frame. This is so that while the service runs to the rest of the house can be destroyed one can easily re-establish new connections to the main panels and outlets.
Everything else of regular construction can tbe damaged, be blown or washed away but the frame stands. That way I can easily tear down the roof and walls and quickly rebuild without having to bulldoze the whole structure or having to resubmit the building approvals.
A refinement to this house design will be to make the first floor level a sacrificial part that a storm surge can wash away without bringing the second floor with it, or damaging the structure of the house. I saw some TV shots of a breachfront house in the Carolinas that survived such a surge. That left the house looking like it was built on stilits. The second floor was damaged and not worth salvaging. But had someone taken refuge there (none) that person would have survived. A conventionally build house would have been totalled and killed everyone within it.
One can understand the desire to stay in and sit out the storm, mainly to prevent looting, and perhaps to fix fixable damage on the fly before it becomes a big one. The chances of a direct hurricane hit are small enough for most homeowners to take this risk. The chances of a direct hit is nonetheless there and it will seem very stupid by then to risk life and limb for a house.
Therefore the problem should be recast as how can one stay for a less threatening storm and yet survive the perfect storm?
The answer will be a storm-proof safe room built on top of this concrete structure. It will probably be the size of a large bathroom and made of steel or concrete for protection against flying debris or tree falls. It should be capable of being buttoned down and float upright like a boat should it be dislodged. At that level of storm intensity there is no longer any consideration of living in it to guard your property. All you want is to survive the perfect storm and get the hell out, a stay of less than 48 hours.