Hurricane-proof House

Page 4 of 8

Adam Weiss wrote:

The English were using concrete boats in 1910 or so, and a Frenchman patented a wire reinforced concrete boat in 1847. It wasn't exactly a stoner physic student's brainstorm.
Charlie Self wrote:

I didn't know that.
But here it is, all online and easily accessed for those too lazy to do real research in a library:
http://www.concreteships.org/history /
Very interesting and thanks.
Adam Weiss wrote:

You're welcome. One of the benefits of reading Popular Mechanics as a kid 50 years ago.

There is a yearly Engineering competition for "best concrete boat". The students have to design and build the things themselves. I've seen the "races" on teevee.

If you have power, you can use an electric toilet.. www.incinolet.com
If not, you could use some form of camp toilet, with collection bags, and store them in a larger drum when full.
You'll want a holding tank and filtering system for showers, etc using recycled water. maybe some form of solar heating? You'll also want a storage system for potable water.
Use several smaller generators that can be synced together to form a larger one if needed. Propane/natural gas provides the best long term storage, but diesel is easier to resupply, and can be hauled in drums, or jerrycans. Make sure you have a stock of suitable containers to transfer fuel. Gasoline is not a good choice for long term storage.
A storage battery/inverter system could also be used to reduce generator run times, possibly with photovoltaics, although the survivability of photovoltaics in the storm is highly questionable.
Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
On 9-Sep-2005, snipped-for-privacy@tantivy.tantivy.net (Bob Vaughan) wrote:

Composting toilet. Pricier, but works just fine. Put one on the second floor to avoid the flood.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

I like the way you think.
Put a composting toilet on the second floor.
And add a rooftop vegetable garden.
And a cistern to catch rain water.
Life could be sustained indefinitely.
Would one of those transparent plastic tent/ water purifiers that they say to use if you're adrift at sea work on nasty flood waters? Or is it just for getting the salt out of sea water? Anyoone know?
Don wrote:

Why not? A composting toilet works like a compost pile. Basically it turns waste into nutrient-rich topsoil.
The topsoil is then used to help grow the plants in the vegetable garden.
If you're looking to build a house that can not only withstand a hurricane but can also allow you to live relatively comfortably while the power and water is still out, this sort of adaptive reuse of human waste makes alot of sense.

As long as you understand the limitations.
Look into the NASA research on toilets related to manned flight to Mars.
--
Go read this. Now.
<http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000129.html

Some sewage treatment plants are making a compost as a by-product. Maybe it goes through a turd sorter first.
wrote in message

it
It's a growth industry. Which other essential industry has an escalating supply of materials piped in for free? What could be more essential then boosting food production ?
snip>

They work by evaporating water, which is volatile, and then condensing it on the cool surface. Depends on the other contents, like salt, not being volatile. For the nasty mix along the gulf coast, part of the problem is petroleum components, which are also volatile. So it might actually produce a product water with a higher concentration of some of the impurities. Depends on vapor pressure, condensation temperature, etc.
Steve

Only if you've got a really big freaking roof. What you really want is to replace the attic and roof with a greenhouse, so as to control pests and weather. But the people/sqft ratio is really low, until you start investing in some serious intensive gardening equipment.
--Goedjn
(Bob Vaughan) wrote:

You're talking, in essence, about a simple distillation apparatus. Bacteria, parasites, and algae should be too large to be lifted by water vapor - if your plastic is hanging over an enclosed space with no or very little air movement, they should not be aerosolized.
I'm not sure about viruses. Polio virus can, if I remember correctly, survive in water but I don't know whether viruses could be lifted by water vapor. OTOH, I'd thought that distillation demineralizes water, and given the size of molecules, it also therefore ought to "de-virus" it as well.
Assuming that your plastic aheet and your collection vessel are clean, you ought to be OK.
snipped-for-privacy@tantivy.tantivy.net (Bob Vaughan) wrote:

has anyone had real world experience using one of the above?

[ ... ]

I' ll have to look into that, it's interesting.
But how do you keep all the houses from floating around and smashing into one another?
Off the top, maybe deep pylons (reinforced etc.) that would rise up through "grommets" (for lack oa a better word) built into the house? Or steel cabling?

I like that ;)

OTOH I've always wondered just how strong those structures are. I've seen them here and there along coastlines, but the one;s I've seen ate mostly wood - seems a bit fragile...?

More than one!

The one with the micro-optics that can be hidden in the smallest thing.

It'd depend upon how the interior was done. Then too, the exterior could be "prettied up" with the right sorts of plantings. Heck, hand colorful "flags" (multicolored nylon type) around the exterior.
And, when designing the exterior, use rounded lines and shapes rather than sharp corners. Better for wind resistance anyway.
IOW no reason why living in it should be "unpleasant".

SOmeone had mentioned a composting toilet. Then there are the ones made for RVs and camping. You put enzymes into them, if I remember correctly.

These are practical solutions from the standpoint of 'processing' human waste. However, if you are not in a floating house, & most of us fall into that category, & there happens to be a flood, then the only way to use these toilets is to take them 'up' with you to whatever higher elevation you think you might go as water rises. Ashoke - earth-friendly.products.bz
The wise man woulb build his house upon the rock., and make it outta concrete.
Surplus army submarine would solve all issues.

skroob wrote:

How about a set of plane tickets set for parts far away?